Any 375 RUM shooters?

Seriously? mtmuley

Yeah man. You can get a pass through with a big or a small cartridge. However, I'm not arguing that they don't make different sized holes on the way through. I'm also not bashing big cartridges. I think that if anyone has a 375 and wants to shoot things with it that's freaking awesome! I'm just making comments for the sake of the debate that this turned into.

Since this has gotten away from my initial question, how about some facts? You have to match the bullet weight/construction to the game size/distance it is being shot at.

Hydrostatic shock sends shockwaves through the animal to the nervous center, it eliminates the electrical impulses. This doesn’t kill the animal, it “knocks them out” and internally they bleed out from the bullet wound. Hydrostatic shock lessens on smaller bore to .338, once velocity dips to or below 2600 fps on medium game animals. Larger bore can occur as slow as 2200 fps. Using to light of a bullet with to high velocity can cause the bullet to not penetrate, or using to light of bullet wont transfer enough energy to cause hydrostatic shock. Using a bullet that is too heavy for intended game will fail to cause hydrostatic shock, because it fails to meet resistance to impart energy where required. In the later instance, look at 30 caliber with 180 grain bullet, probably won’t cause hydrostatic shock on med size game where a 155-165 will have a better chance. Or a different bullet selection to a fast expanding bullet design will help out.

This is where larger caliber bullets shine. The larger diameter the bullet the less need for high velocity to create hydrostatic shock. But the same as the smaller faster bullets, bullet construction/shape takes into effect the energy transfer. Round nose bullets will transfer more energy at impact then spire point soft tail, due to more surface area upon impact.

Hydrostatic shock is one of the fastest ways to kill an animal. It places them in a coma type state while they bleed out internally. A med size animal has a better chance of running further before dying from a 30 cal 180 bullet like a bonded bullet rather than a faster expanding bullet like a sst or similar design.

Hydraulic shock, this is what creates the temporary wound channel. Its caused by the pressure of accelerated water particles. It is effected by velocity just like hydrostatic shock. The more the bullet expands or sheds its weight creating a cluster of fragments to create a wide internal wound channel to increase blood loss. This causes a disproportionate to caliber wound channel. As velocity slows the wound channel becomes proportionate to caliber.

So in conclusion light and stout or heavy and soft usually yield best results. But both have their limits on game hunting as well as distance.

I agree, the shock stuff is all voodoo BS.

Hydraulic shock is physics. It's what causes all of the damage that's not in the immediate wound channel. If this wasn't the case there would be no difference in shooting something with a gun or bow. You can think of it as throwing different objects into the water. Water compresses more if something is thrown in with more velocity vs. being dropped into water; making the faster projectile move through the water slower. If you shoot an arrow into the water, it'll go through faster than shooting a gun into the water. This matters because all of the energy needs to go somewhere and the bullet expends its energy outward rather than zipping right though. That lateral dispersion of the energy is made even more so when a bullet expands.

Hydrostatic shock as described above can be argued though. I've never even heard of that before and have no idea where those velocity estimations came from because it would be completely different for different bullets if it was true. Tissue gets destroyed, but I don't know about shocks to the nervous system...

Last edited:
Have you ever seen the bottom of the heart split open from a hit over a foot away from the heart? I have several times. How do you suppose the brain is effected by that pulse?

That's physical damage caused by hydraulic shock. It could also affect the nervous system in the area in the same way. However, saying that some sort of shock is going to travel from the chest cavity to the brain and shut down things up there is pretty far fetched. Have you ever seen meat bruising in a hind quarter after a shot through the ribs?

By this argument, every time you shot an animal in the same place a shock would drop it in its tracks. I've shot plenty of whitetails in the vitals with the same gun with the same bullets. It doesn't matter if they are shot in the heart, lungs, or both, they either randomly drop dead in their tracks or run 100 yards and tip over after bleeding out.

Last edited:
I own all the ultra mag cartridges the 375 rum shoots flat like a 270 but hits like a 416 how could u not like that and i live in hawaii and i hunt goats with my custom 458 lott with 450 grain A frames and hunt hogs with a 500 jeffery so to me the rum is not a to big a round to hunt with

The 375 Rum is on my list to get .
I have 3 300 Rums and a 338 Rum .
Have no trouble shooting them .
No interest in the 7 Rum .
Post your results on the 375 . I found a barrel the other day but held off , might just have to put one together !!

My 375 has a 28 inch hart barrel and i get 3100 fps with 260 grain accubond and imr 4350 powder it is a awesome caliber i killed a 500 lb coastal bear in canada with that load and it went all the way threw length wise bear ran 30 yds and dropped also have a 7mm rum custom with a 28 inch hart barrel i get 3350 with a 180 berger and 91 grains retumbo powder the 7 rum is my favorite deer rifle also built a 28 nosler with a bartlein barrel with 1-8 twisth reamed for 195 bergers i get 3050 with retumbo its a nice caliber also but the rum will out run it by atleast 150 fps from what i see

My barrel is .750 at muzzle and fluted its at 9lb range so its not really to bad to carry

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back