Another Volunteer here...

Trickyricky

New to this site, but active on ModernMuzzloader.com

I tend to hang out in the DWB section. (Dirty White Boys)

Long time hunter and shooter. My passion is muzzleloaders, I own 6 now, 5 of them Whites.
I also shoot a 270 (Rem 700), and a .375 H&H (*Ruger Safari Magnum)...hey, if you're gonna make a hole?
Even a bit of a handgunner with a Glock, Kimber, and Ruger. Handload too, just not so much lately. Really want to get into casting my own conicals for the rifles, and then we will see what develops.

I'm 66 and have an elk hunt booked in Colorado for Sept of 25. With a muzzy, of course. This is a bucket list hunt for me, I'm trying to soak up all relevant info I can before the actual hunt.

Long time hunter and shooter. My passion is muzzleloaders, I own 6 now, 5 of them Whites.
I also shoot a 270 (Rem 700), and a .375 H&H (*Ruger Safari Magnum)...hey, if you're gonna make a hole?
Even a bit of a handgunner with a Glock, Kimber, and Ruger. Handload too, just not so much lately. Really want to get into casting my own conicals for the rifles, and then we will see what develops.

I'm 66 and have an elk hunt booked in Colorado for Sept of 25. With a muzzy, of course. This is a bucket list hunt for me, I'm trying to soak up all relevant info I can before the actual hunt.
What unit are you planning to hunt in Colorado? I have been on several elk hunts, can probably tell you what not to do.

My hunt is on a private ranch, Sept of '25. Unit 128.
But, I'm tossing around the idea of buying a OTC tag this year and just winging it.
Is this even feasible? Ate there any OTC muzzy hunts?
Any units you would suggest for a first timer who isn't set up to camp? Im thinking of a hotel room base, or a sleep in the truck bed kind of camp.

My hunt is on a private ranch, Sept of '25. Unit 128.
But, I'm tossing around the idea of buying a OTC tag this year and just winging it.
Is this even feasible? Ate there any OTC muzzy hunts?
Any units you would suggest for a first timer who isn't set up to camp? Im thinking of a hotel room base, or a sleep in the truck bed kind of camp.
There aren’t otc muzzy tags but you might be able to find a second choice tag if you’re trying to build pp.

What unit are you planning to hunt in Colorado? I have been on several elk hunts, can probably tell you what not to do.
Another thought is that you can probably draw a muzzleloader cow tag as a first choice in several units.

Another thought is that you can probably draw a muzzleloader cow tag as a first choice in several units.
This is an idea I like.
If these hunts are "drawable", what unit would ypu recommend? Is it the same season, just cows only?

This is an idea I like.
If these hunts are "drawable", what unit would ypu recommend? Is it the same season, just cows only?
Cow tags are much easier to draw than a bull tag, and you are correct, the seasons are the same. Do you know anything about any unit in the state.

Cow tags are much easier to draw than a bull tag, and you are correct, the seasons are the same. Do you know anything about any unit in the state.
I just went back and read your original post, what unit do you have a hunt planned?

I guess I missed the unit 128 in your post. Have you checked on drawing a cow tag in that unit? The private land sounds good if there are elk on the property.

This is a guided hunt on private land. I was wondering about a DIY hunt to get my feet wet before i go next year. A cow hunt would fit the bill, easier to draw, and probably easier to have success. Meat in the freezer is high on my list too.

This is a guided hunt on private land. I was wondering about a DIY hunt to get my feet wet before i go next year. A cow hunt would fit the bill, easier to draw, and probably easier to have success. Meat in the freezer is high on my list too.
Are you guaranteed a tag on the guided hunt? My limited experience it easier to kill a bull than a cow but a cow is much better eating. I would look at a drop camp hunt just to get some time on the mountain.

Yes, guaranteed tag. Plains hunt.
I have seen some cow hunts in the $2500 - $3000 range, most 3 day hunts.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back