Alaska Moose 2014 - Booked!

i want to go one day..how do you get all the moose meat and horns and what not back to the lower 48?

A few different ways to do it - some airlines let you bring the antlers on as cargo if you have them wrapped in cardboard and taped up really well, and you can take the meat home (if its frozen) taped up tightly in coolers or waxed fish boxes. Or, you could have it frozen and shipped home as air cargo separately. I have family in Anchorage, so I rent a meat locker in town and have them ship me some meat every so often.

I don't typically ship home the antlers from game I shoot, so I save a little money that way.

My brother has been trying to convince me to do a moose hunt. I want to but man it's hard to get rid of the sheep bug. I also feel he might end up moving back down to the states sometime and then the sheep gig with be over. On the other hand I'd love to get a moose with my bow and have it be close to a road :D

Well, if your not going, I'm just going to call your brother and go moose hunting with him, you can stay home. I'm sure I can convince your wife she doesn't need to let you go AGAIN:)

Is 40 mile who most people go through

Lots of air transporters in Alaska - imagine a state more than twice the size of Texas (sorry Texans), with less paved roads than the state of Rhode Island. A lot easier to fly many places in Alaska than to drive...

40 Mile Air is a very reputable and trustworthy air transporter who services much of Game Management Unit 20 in Alaska, which has a lot of good moose hunting area. I've also hunter caribou with them, with two different guys I met on this Forum.

Moose transporter

A little about myself, lived in Alaska since 68 and live to hunt and fish...no different then most of the forum members. So when looking to do any hunt in Alaska the first thing to take in consideration is your physical condition, I say this because you can hunt any animal in about every type of terrain, that will tell you a lot about where in Alaska you might want to hunt, when you figure out where then your ready for transporter research, we have lots of good ones out there, the ones that most hunters will tell are good is because they were successfull in there hunt, makes since, but let's not forget about safety and timely pickups,and lastly they don't over book for there area. I hope that helps some of you guys when deciding your next hunt......

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm headed to Wasilla end of next February, Sheep man. Spending a week there doing some exploring and meeting up with a friend from Willow. Maybe we can meet up for a face to face? I would LOVE to pick your brain about hunting and fishing in the area. Would someday like to retire there maybe up around Talkeetna or Trapper Creek.

Well, if your not going, I'm just going to call your brother and go moose hunting with him, you can stay home. I'm sure I can convince your wife she doesn't need to let you go AGAIN:)

Matt after all your moose hunting this year I would think you would have a blast doing an archery moose hunt up there. You don't have to worry about seeing small ones that's for sure. Every moose I've seen so far has been legal and none of them small. You might have a hard time convincing Jenn to not let me go. She's getting quite used to the "trade off" vacations :eek: She practically is kicking me out the door now.

Dave n. I would love to talk to you, let me know when and I'll have you over for dinner, I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. So I'm hoping we match up

Great! We arrive Feb 24 and leave March 2. We'll be staying at the Alaska Adventure Unlimited Chalets in Wasilla. Looked like something better than just a normal motel room. We plan on meeting up with our tour guide from this past May when we were there. Not sure how much we will be doing with her, but WILL be going to the Fur Rondy plus both starts of the Iditarod. I will have a rental car so travel isn't a problem. Wife and I may head up to Talkeetna also. LOVED that spot! Have found a couple properties that look promising for the future. If I could just win the lottery!!!!!!!

I come home the 26 th,. I'll send you my number..... Not sure where Alaska adventure hotels are at.???ps. Got a nice cabin on Kroto creek just north of talkeetna for sale, good moose and great black bear hunting....take care

On Caribou Street on the Northeast side, up by Dry Lake and Anderson Lake.

On the ORIGINAL subject matter, moose hunting, scuttlebutt was that the train took a toll on moose the past couple of winters. Any news or info on current moose numbers?

Moose

Train always gets a few, we had a mild winter last year, just a very long one, we really didn't get a spring, ha ha and I'm sure the late spring took a few out, I know it did a major number on our sheep population state wide.:(:( Over all I'd say our moose are looking good state wide, just my opinion....

Looks like we traded our weather for Alaska's this year. -15 this morning at the house and as low as -21 headed for work. Upper 20s in Alaska where we're headed in 3 weeks. We've had more snow than usual and Alaska (Wasilla area anyway) has seen LOTS of days in the 50s this winter. Something is just WRONG with that... Things better shape up for the Iditarod. Really wanting to see that!

She's starting to cool off, swamps are freezing, lakes are solid, some rivers have open leads that are slowly freezing over, just need snow, if we don't get snow I'm sure they will move the start to willow ak.

Best of luck Mike!!!!!My moose plans went south this year,but next year we plan to get 2 monsters.So leave those barely legal ones alone,lol
Going to miss that place.Never had to take my gun along to use the bathroom on any other hunt.Guess that's when you know your really out there.Wish Ak. would allow us NR to take a grizzly though.We would have gone 2-2.
I'm stuck elk hunting Wy. this year.I know tough luck right.Well, if I draw the tag

Best of luck Mike!!!!!My moose plans went south this year,but next year we plan to get 2 monsters.So leave those barely legal ones alone,lol
Going to miss that place.Never had to take my gun along to use the bathroom on any other hunt.Guess that's when you know your really out there.Wish Ak. would allow us NR to take a grizzly though.We would have gone 2-2.
I'm stuck elk hunting Wy. this year.I know tough luck right.Well, if I draw the tag

Scott,

Sorry you won't make it this fall, but glad you'll be back in 2015! Good luck on your elk hunt, hope you draw.

Michael

Oh yeah, I will be back.loved the place and theres something to be said about hunting where you know your only way out is by plane.The adventure is worth the cost of admission alone!!!!

Oh yeah, I will be back.loved the place and theres something to be said about hunting where you know your only way out is by plane.The adventure is worth the cost of admission alone!!!!

Amen Scott! I believe the BIG MAN rested there on the seventh day!

I booked a moose hunt with 40 mile air for sept14; location corn ball ridge. Once we got our dates (mid sept) it is about the only thing I can think about. I found this forum yesterday and thought I'd ask "anyone ever been to corn ball ridge or have any advice?" I've spent much of my life hunting deer/elk in CO, so this is a compete first for me. If you've been, what kind of shelter did you have? And did your shelter have a stove?

thanks in advance

I booked a moose hunt with 40 mile air for sept14; location corn ball ridge. Once we got our dates (mid sept) it is about the only thing I can think about. I found this forum yesterday and thought I'd ask "anyone ever been to corn ball ridge or have any advice?" I've spent much of my life hunting deer/elk in CO, so this is a compete first for me. If you've been, what kind of shelter did you have? And did your shelter have a stove?

thanks in advance

Shoot me an email at your convenience, I've hunted several times with 40 Mile and can give you quite a bit of info. I'll be there in September too, maybe we'll bump into each other.

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back