Alaska Moose 2014 - Booked!

mdhunter61

Is it too early to start talking about 2014 hunts? Just booked bush flights for my 2014 moose hunt, can't wait! Taking a buddy along who hunted AK with me years ago and shot a caribou, but still dreams of a big moose.

It is never too early to talk about moose or caribou hunting in Alaska

Hope you guys a have a great trip. Headed up there twice. Once for dall and then the following month for bear, sitka, and fishing. Hoping to see some huge rack pics! Good huntin'

never too early, in fact, I'm starting to do some research myself for Moose in 2014 or 2015. After my MT moose hunt, got the bug worse than I had. Just need to figure out where to go and how to come up with the funds:) Taxidermy bill this past two years have put a hurtn on us:)LOL

never too early, in fact, I'm starting to do some research myself for Moose in 2014 or 2015. After my MT moose hunt, got the bug worse than I had. Just need to figure out where to go and how to come up with the funds:) Taxidermy bill this past two years have put a hurtn on us:)LOL

It's hard being you... :D

Jealous! Good luck. One of these years I'll have to get my crap together and start living a bit more adventrously instead of just reading about it...

MD, Who did you book with? 40 Mile?

I've been doing a bit of planning the last couple weeks as well. Trying to figure out when for what, and where. Toss in some permit apps, and options are endless. I did book a flight for a sheep hunt. ;) not planning on drawing a sheep tag, and may not even apply. Sheep numbers in the "trophy" units are terrible, many areas cut tags. The Tok remains the same #, but I'm not convinced that tag is worth drawing, I've seen just as many giant sheep come out of OTC units as the Tok. Lots of sheep died last spring... LOTS. The Tok was hammered along with most of the Chugache.

I think moose will be a secondary focus next fall, just weekend trips off the highway. Sheep is #1, with a caribou trip as #2. I'll probably tag along on a walk in sheep hunt as a Sherpa over Labor Day weekend + a day or two if it all works out schedule wise. Probably toss in a weekend trip or two to chase caribou with friends and family. Rough, I know...

I'm seriously entreating offers for a quality sheep hunting partner. The only real option for a NR would be black bear, or caribou, but both are far and few. The primary focus is sheep... PM with resume, experience, and packing capability (include references) if interested. :D

FYI, permits are due in about 10 days (Dec 15).

My brother has been trying to convince me to do a moose hunt. I want to but man it's hard to get rid of the sheep bug. I also feel he might end up moving back down to the states sometime and then the sheep gig with be over. On the other hand I'd love to get a moose with my bow and have it be close to a road :D

Sounds like a fun time. Are you guys going to rent gear up there or bring it with?

I have a storage space rented in Anchorage, have 2 tents stowed there, sleeping bags, backpacks, camp gear, the works. I have family in Alaska and have done 8 remote hunts over the past 12 years, so this beats the heck out of hauling it all back and forth on the airplane.

MD, Who did you book with? 40 Mile?

I've been doing a bit of planning the last couple weeks as well. Trying to figure out when for what, and where. Toss in some permit apps, and options are endless. I did book a flight for a sheep hunt. ;) not planning on drawing a sheep tag, and may not even apply. Sheep numbers in the "trophy" units are terrible, many areas cut tags. The Tok remains the same #, but I'm not convinced that tag is worth drawing, I've seen just as many giant sheep come out of OTC units as the Tok. Lots of sheep died last spring... LOTS. The Tok was hammered along with most of the Chugache.

I think moose will be a secondary focus next fall, just weekend trips off the highway. Sheep is #1, with a caribou trip as #2. I'll probably tag along on a walk in sheep hunt as a Sherpa over Labor Day weekend + a day or two if it all works out schedule wise. Probably toss in a weekend trip or two to chase caribou with friends and family. Rough, I know...

I'm seriously entreating offers for a quality sheep hunting partner. The only real option for a NR would be black bear, or caribou, but both are far and few. The primary focus is sheep... PM with resume, experience, and packing capability (include references) if interested. :D

FYI, permits are due in about 10 days (Dec 15).

Ivan, I did book with 40 Mile, have done a couple of previous moose hunts with them, as well as a couple of caribou hunts with guys from this Forum.

Quality sheep partner?? You've got one - your fiancé(?) has done some awesome hunts with you the past few years, is she out of pocket this year?

My brother has been trying to convince me to do a moose hunt. I want to but man it's hard to get rid of the sheep bug. I also feel he might end up moving back down to the states sometime and then the sheep gig with be over. On the other hand I'd love to get a moose with my bow and have it be close to a road :D

After seeing the accounts of your past sheep hunts, I think you guys would have no problem packing a moose out a few miles! Think of it as heavy pack training for future sheep hunts. :)

Ivan, I did book with 40 Mile, have done a couple of previous moose hunts with them, as well as a couple of caribou hunts with guys from this Forum.

Quality sheep partner?? You've got one - your fiancé(?) has done some awesome hunts with you the past few years, is she out of pocket this year?

She's busy taking care of a young sheep hunter... maybe next year when he can stay with the grandparents for 10 days. We'll wait until he's completely out of control before taking a vacation.

We're still going to work in a few short weekend trips, just can't do a long one.

She's busy taking care of a young sheep hunter... maybe next year when he can stay with the grandparents for 10 days. We'll wait until he's completely out of control before taking a vacation.

We're still going to work in a few short weekend trips, just can't do a long one.

Congrats man!! That's awesome news. He'll be old enough to do the heavy/long packs, about the time you're starting to think about hunting smarter instead of farther. :)

Good to here you have your hunt for 2014 booked, Michael. The day after Thanksgiving, my son, a friend, and I got our early August hunt on the North Slope booked. I will be looking to return again, in 2016 for a moose hunt. I got the Alaska bug, bad.

Good to here you have your hunt for 2014 booked, Michael. The day after Thanksgiving, my son, a friend, and I got our early August hunt on the North Slope booked. I will be looking to return again, in 2016 for a moose hunt. I got the Alaska bug, bad.

Knute,

Great to hear you guys are getting back up there! Are you guys hunting moose, caribou, or a combo?

Michael, just hunting caribou. My son is a high school English teacher, and football coach at a little town in western Kansas, and needs to be back from our trip by the 16th or 17th of August. The only viable unit open for us for any kind of a hunt is 26B and C for caribou. We are being flown in by 70 North. We will be driving up from Kansas again. Takes a lot longer than flying, but it makes for a great adventure.

i want to go one day..how do you get all the moose meat and horns and what not back to the lower 48?

Always dreaming of Alaska, but hard for the non resident alien hunter to get anything sorted without paying massive costs. But i might be over the line for 2015 to climb some sheep hills.

Good luck in your hunt md.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back