Alaska Moose 2014 - Booked!

Burnsbuzz,

Good luck these year. I used to live in Texas and have hunted Colorado. Good country if you know some land owners. I haven't hunted cornball for a couple of years. Use to go with 40 Mile Air all the time, good outfit. The last too times we chose cornball we didn't much of anything cause they are not making it thrue the winter with all the brown bears and wolfs. I would have pick a different area or pass and go somewhere else. We had some issues with bears in camp, in particular with a big bear with a split right ear. She really made a mess of camp a few times and we had a few sleepless nights until the wolfs move her out. Good luck with finding moose, you may see some caribou if they are migrating throu.Our tent and stove was a 4 man tent and you need a stove if it rains or its cold. 50/50 that time a year. Good luck with cornball. We wont be going back till the wolfs get thinned out which wont be any time soon. We try setting up on them cause we got tired of calling for moose and the caribou werent running, but they are like ghost. Their one moment, gone the next. I would have choosen to take a lever action without a scope if I had to do it again. Quick shot with my scoped x-bolt couldn't cut it. And to be honest the last trip made me realize that my .44 Mag revolver was not enough gun in that type of country so Im upgrading next time if I go.
Good luck and post some pictures if you get anything.

Cornball sow

Havalon-
Man, your email took me back! Buddy from Wasilla saw it and gave me the link, sounds like our time. Can’t say enough good about 40 Mile. We’re on a budget so took last week availabel for Cornball in 2012 witch was early Oct. Knew it late season but price was right and we had winter gears. I was first guy in and droped on the ridge. Should’ve know when the black clouds came in when the pilot took off that I was in for it. Snow start about 20 minuts later and didn’t let up. Droped like inch an hour all nite. Somehow got a tent up in 40 mph winds but no way to tie down the ends. And hell if that same split ear sow didn’t show up wantin for late season meal before shed hibernate. I said Tommy best thing was lite a fire inside the 3 man tent and just screw if it melted a hole in the roof—or face that nasty hungry grizz alone middle of the night in pitch black. Didn’t want my back to a wall so all night was layed on the ground by the fire. Snow blowed in thru the tent top and my .454 Casul locked and cocked on my chest. Wouldn’t traded my left nut for a Zeliska .600 Nitro that nite. Herd that nasty sow came back few times but sure that fire and smoke burned plastic kept her away. Darned wolfs all night long up howlin, but about 20 yards out tho since the sow had marked her spot with pee. Luckiest guy in the world Tommy that storm cleared for few hours in the morn and cub on skis flied over, sees the smoking tent and sow runs, then land close away. Grabbed what I could, got thru 3’ of snow feared of the sow and left everything behind. Still wake in a swet at nites, getting better a few years on. Hope to cowboy up and go drop that sow, but no not for a wile still.

How did the moose hunt go? And how was 40 mile air? I've been hearing a lot of good things about them, but haven't committed to hiring anybody just yet.

Eddie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back