a trendy little project

nhenry

I'm doing a 6.5 on a Tikka. I have a 24" 6.5 creed barrel I got off ebay a while back for this and forgot about it.

I'd like to rechamber that barrel to one of these:
264 win mag*
6.5 PRC
6.5 WBY RPM
6.5-06AI**

The receiver I have has a standard bolt face, but I'm up for opening it up to accept the magnums. Done it before and it was fine.

*Several things about the win mag:
- 6.5 creed barrels are cheap and easy to come by if I ever burnt it out, so don't tell me about the barrel burning capabilities of the 264. Plus, with proper cleaning and making sure the barrel doesn't get too hot, it'll last a surprising amount of time.
- Tikkas use the same contour for all of their lites (which this barrel is) and they chamber 300 win mags in them, so I'm not worried about that either if I were to go with a 264
- I'm not too worried about mag length. I shoot monos and they always like jump, in my experience. I just seat them to SAAMI COAL in all my rifles.
- 7mm Rem Mag brass is fairly easy to come by, and all it takes is a full length size and trim to make a 264 case. Not too worried about that.

**About the 6.5-06AI:
- I kind of just included this one for gits and shiggles. Ballistically, yeah it makes sense. I am rather fresh father who has no time to do a ton of fireforming and case work. I load what I can and that typically means pretty standard stuff.
- I have a friggin ton of 06, from 25 to 35 caliber.

This is just for a nice, flat-shooting hunting rifle. Any good advice?

Last edited:
The 264 is the coolest of them/has the most soul. I truly haven’t shot mine a ton but it’s been rough on every animal I’ve shot with it. I figure if I ever burn the barrel out I’ve got plenty of options for rebarrelling.

I have a .264 Win Mag in a model 70 sporter and it is by far my favorite rifle I have ever used. I have a Rem 700 .308 and Weatherby 7mm Rem Mag with newer stocks and better scopes but the .264 is my favorite still. Took my first whitetail with the same .264. My dad bought it brand new back in the 80s and it maybe has 200-250 rounds through it maybe more and it is still a shooter with whatever you feed it. The only issue I have with .264 is bullet availability. I just started reloading last year and when compared to my 7mm the bullet selection is almost non-existent. I understand these two calibers are comparable and what has basically put the .264 out to pasture but they both are good calibers. Being that I have both the 7mm and .264, I'd still like to personally have a 6.5 prc just to have and with not as much recoil and more enjoyable for target practice along with being able to take decent game as well.

The 264 is the coolest of them/has the most soul. I truly haven’t shot mine a ton but it’s been rough on every animal I’ve shot with it. I figure if I ever burn the barrel out I’ve got plenty of options for rebarrelling.
I think it seems like the coolest of the bunch as well, though I’m up for getting my mind changed

Quite possible my next rebarrel will be a 6.5x55AI. Cool factor to beat all IMO and Lapua brass, which I favor.

I'm doing a 6.5 on a Tikka. I have a 24" 6.5 creed barrel I got off ebay a while back for this and forgot about it.

I'd like to rechamber that barrel to one of these:
264 win mag*
6.5 PRC
6.5 WBY RPM
6.5-06AI**

The receiver I have has a standard bolt face, but I'm up for opening it up to accept the magnums. Done it before and it was fine.

*Several things about the win mag:
- 6.5 creed barrels are cheap and easy to come by if I ever burnt it out, so don't tell me about the barrel burning capabilities of the 264. Plus, with proper cleaning and making sure the barrel doesn't get too hot, it'll last a surprising amount of time.
- Tikkas use the same contour for all of their lites (which this barrel is) and they chamber 300 win mags in them, so I'm not worried about that either if I were to go with a 264
- I'm not too worried about mag length. I shoot monos and they always like jump, in my experience. I just seat them to SAAMI COAL in all my rifles.
- 7mm Rem Mag brass is fairly easy to come by, and all it takes is a full length size and trim to make a 264 case. Not too worried about that.

**About the 6.5-06AI:
- I kind of just included this one for gits and shiggles. Ballistically, yeah it makes sense. I am rather fresh father who has no time to do a ton of fireforming and case work. I load what I can and that typically means pretty standard stuff.
- I have a friggin ton of 06, from 25 to 35 caliber.

This is just for a nice, flat-shooting hunting rifle. Any good advice?

In today’s world I think I would pick the one I can feed.
I looked last week for 270 brass for my brothers’ rifles and could not find any.
I see quite a bit of 264 but that is very rare and buy it now because it will be gone very soon.
A gunsmith I use loves the 6.5x280ai but Finding powder might be a challenge.

Set in a good supply now, nothing worse than a hungry new gun.

I've no idea what brass exists and its quality but the 6.5 RPM is the choice I'd make if brass isn't an obstacle and you want a hot rod. 264 win mag'ish case capacity. No dicking around with necking down and possible donut issues that exist with that process. No dicking around with opening up your bolt face. No fire forming required. No belt. Besides possible brass availability/quality or sentimental reasons, I cant see a single reason why it isn't superior to .264 win mag.

In a tikka action with a standard bolt face, 6.5x284 > 6.5 PRC every day. Same capacity, lapua brass, no dicking with the bolt face. Personally i like these more modest sized cases over the fire breathers.

I don't think i'll ever buy or rebarrel to another belted magnum. Sizing near the belt can be a hassle and you get too much case stretch from virgin to fired. These are minor issues but why deal with them if you don't have to?

Also since you mentioned your 6.5 GAP post - Ive been too lazy to list that Beanland built 6.5 GAP 4s I have that's been sitting in the safe. Could save you the hassle..

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back