6mm CM or 6mm PRC

Serios question. Is all the bs worth it, and why? mtmuley
If I was going to shoot a common mono like a Barnes (I don’t, but understand why people do), I’d want to start it as fast as possible to maximize the range it would impact at an effective velocity. Between the lower BC and the higher minimum impact velocity threshold, a 95 LRX has way less effective range vs something like a 103 ELD.

The velocity will also maximize the danger space, in other words you have more room to be wrong about the range and still make a good hit.

I tend to prefer things on the friendlier, less overbore side, especially because I like to shoot a lot. Also, the more crazy you get, the more logistics play a role in brass, dies, reamers, and overall manners.

If I was going to shoot a common mono like a Barnes (I don’t, but understand why people do), I’d want to start it as fast as possible to maximize the range it would impact at an effective velocity. Between the lower BC and the higher minimum impact velocity threshold, a 95 LRX has way less effective range vs something like a 103 ELD.

The velocity will also maximize the danger space, in other words you have more room to be wrong about the range and still make a good hit.

I tend to prefer things on the friendlier, less overbore side, especially because I like to shoot a lot. Also, the more crazy you get, the more logistics play a role in brass, dies, reamers, and overall manners.
Sooooo... Just what I thought. mtmuley

6 UM seems like an overly expensive time sucking PITA to me. 6 PRC is enticing but even that doesn’t really move the needle for me over a 6 creed at ranges I should be shooting at animals (with slicker lead bullets). With monos I could see the want for more juice.

That’s where I ended up with the project. If I was going to shoot monos or more controlled expansion bullets I’d want the extra velocity.

I acknowledge this “challenge” is completely of my own making. I choose to shoot monos for a variety of reasons. This would all be unnecessary if I shot lead.

In my experience, meat loss is greater from lead, and it is just a pet peeve of mine to waste meat. So copper helps me out there. They also work pretty well at keeping me honest. Setting my limit at 2,000-2,200 fps minimum impact vel makes it really easy for me to set a hard line on range. I don’t get tempted beyond those ranges like I might otherwise. These fancy wildcats, and the mental gymnastics I play to utilize them, let me stretch it out a bit, but not that much. I find myself drawing that hardline at about 600 yards give or take. That’s a good limit for me regardless of bullet construction. Usually, I can get closer anyway so even then it’s not really a huge deal. I also don’t like the idea of giving wildlife lead poisoning. That’s a very personal choice for me, and I don’t think negatively of hunters who still use lead. I just like knowing that nothing I kill is gonna end up killing something else. Perhaps it’s somewhat trivial in the grand scheme of things, but that’s kind of how I think of it.

I say go for it. If building on a tikka I talked to preferred barrel blanks and their reamer is a no neck turn. Get yourself a 6.5 prc bushing die and the right bushing and be good to go

Quickest way to get the barrel length and velocity mentioned. 77 lrx available I believe
I also have 2 barrels on order and 2 more tikka actions ready for conversion to 22 creedmoors. Those are for my mom and sister though, but I have feeling by the time load dev is done, I'll be looking for parts for another one for my boy.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back