A MT Moose update

I tell ya, I don't think I've followed a thread more closely than this one. Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your efforts in bagging what could be a once in a lifetime trophy.

Good luck.

The moose hunting has definitely gotten much more difficult. With the rut turning off light a switch, they are much tougher to find.....

I did find have a fun morning yesterday though, saw one bull moose, a bunch of elk (no great big ones, so not too distracting), and unfortunately a damn wolf track!!

So for those nonbelievers who have thought maybe the wolves haven't moved into the bridger/bangtail range, I would say you need to think again.....

Attachments

• Snow Moose-1.jpg
    Snow Moose-1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 921
  • Some elk-1.jpg
    Some elk-1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 932
  • Some elk 2-1.jpg
    Some elk 2-1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 914
  • Wolf Track-1.jpg
    Wolf Track-1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 898
Today, had to take a little break and go do some other killing:):)LOL

This ol Badger thought he was a tough guy so I had to introduce him to the 7 short....

And I'm not going to lie, it is a real sumbich to deal with a 900 lb animal by yourself with no equipment:)

Back to moose tomorrow!

Attachments

• Badger-1.jpg
    Badger-1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 921
  • Bison 2013-1.jpg
    Bison 2013-1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 904
I don't think I have ever seen a whole bison loaded onto a truck without a backhoe or something!

Let me clarify.....:) We loaded it with a tractor but when I got home to unload it and hang it, I was by myself with no equipment....

There is no way possible for a person to load one whole on your own without some kind of machine help:)LOL

but even pulling it out of the truck and across the garage floor was a hell of a workout:)

A mtn goat, bison, and you still have a moose tag! Now that is a full slate for a year!! WOWZER!

Man, I don't want to sound like a complainer here, but dang it I wish a good moose would show himself soon...:) They are getting real tough to find now and pretty much just little guys........Couple from the past week.

Knee is kicking my butt pretty bad now.....

Attachments

• IMG_8453.jpg
    IMG_8453.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_8421.jpg
    IMG_8421.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_8408.jpg
    IMG_8408.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,087
  • IMG_8375.jpg
    IMG_8375.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,092
  • little moose.jpg
    little moose.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,091
  • IMG_8388.jpg
    IMG_8388.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,091
Cant feel sorry for you. A moose tag in your pocket and you are hunting moose:D

Hope the knee feels better.

Keep at it, I am sure you will find one to take home. Knee problems such, hopefully temporary.

Ha just kidding........wish I wasn't.

Braced up the knee and put on a good one yesterday, daylight till about 2 hrs after dark........lots of miles and 4 bull moose for the day. Unfortunately, I've still only been able to locate smaller bulls. Got a tip from a hunttalker the other day that spun me in circles all weekend trying to find the bull he saw in early september and october.......All efforts going to this bull. If I can put the grip and grin on the bull I'm targeting right now, I'm not sure the grin will fit on the snapshot:)

Here were a couple of the bulls I saw yesterday.

Attachments

• 20131103_103820.jpg
    20131103_103820.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 797
My daughter took her tooth fairy money to buy me a new bracelet the other day:) This is for good luck moose hunting so I will be wearing it the rest of the year....So far it hasn't changed my luck but it sure as hell brightened my mood when she got it for me;) Day number 39 in the books .........one cow moose is all for the day. Never cut a single track in the new snow.

Got a bunch of snow...........and a bunch more excersise today. I can't friggen believe a guy can hunt 39 days, see over 25 different bulls and not see one big one. I feel I'm hunting a genetically challenged bunch of moose...lol

But there are two moose I know I would shoot. Just need to find them. Going to get some work done this afternoon so I can hit it with a clear day and new snow tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20131103_212759.jpg
    20131103_212759.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 783
  • 20131104_092432.jpg
    20131104_092432.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 785
I guess if I'm going to be #1 at something, thats the best thing to be #1 at:)

Cause we sure know its not at finding big moose...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back