300 win for Pronghorn

So I’m pretty new to hunting and have only one hunting rifle, but it’s a doozy: Gunwerks Magnus in 300 win, set up to shoot their 208 gr round. It’s a comfortable and accurate rifle, no complaints. But I’ve got my first antelope hunt next year and I fear this setup is a bit overkill. Any factory ammo recommendations? Or do I need to suck it up and buy a second rifle? Thanks!
"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!" Clint Smith

If you have a dial on your scope setup for that round, use it. I've killed Antelope with 150gr Core Loct, and 180 gr Partition factory loads. But if you know the drop on your bullet out to your Maximum shooting distance, got the distance and can shoot it in the wind, the extra 50 grains won't hurt you.

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!" Clint Smith

If you have a dial on your scope setup for that round, use it. I've killed Antelope with 150gr Core Loct, and 180 gr Partition factory loads. But if you know the drop on your bullet out to your Maximum shooting distance, got the distance and can shoot it in the wind, the extra 50 grains won't hurt you.
I wish I knew how to use it a little better! But yes I have it set up for my round with a sig scope married to a sig rangefinder with all the bullet data and muzzle velocity, it’s a nice little system. The Gunwerks rounds are great out of this rifle and I’d just as soon keep everything as is. Sounds like I just need to shoot for the lungs and I’ll be fine. The antelope, not so much.

I am a little late, so will be somewhat repetitive. stick with your 300. As long as you do not mInd the recoil and it is accurate, there is no use spending money just for a pronghorn rifle. They are easy to kill, just be careful with your shot and hit the lungs to save meat. They are smaller than you think so there is a tendency to think they are farther away than they actually are. i have used calibers from 25/06 up to a 300 Win Mag. The animals all dropped at the shot. Taken in California, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, and Arizona. Have guided or watched others taking antelope. In my experience going after pronghorn has been more of a fun social experience than a hard hunting one. Kindest Regards

I wish I knew how to use it a little better! But yes I have it set up for my round with a sig scope married to a sig rangefinder with all the bullet data and muzzle velocity, it’s a nice little system. The Gunwerks rounds are great out of this rifle and I’d just as soon keep everything as is. Sounds like I just need to shoot for the lungs and I’ll be fine. The antelope, not so much.
Not knocking spending $$ on nice stuff (I have some nice toys too). And I am not judging you, for all I know you are a Special Ops sniper. But for the broader audience, I will add that a $400 Ruger American .243 shooting green box CoreLokt ammo with a $199 scope and no rangefinder in the hands of a practiced hunter and shooter will always fair better in the field than a fancy set up with a guy who puts one or two boxes of ammo through their rifle a year or does all their shooting off a bench/bipods, on calm days at 100y.

A hunter's ability to successfully bring home tasty antelope with be directly affected by the following considerations in this order: one's ability to successfully stalk within 300y or so of the animal; one's ability to read and account for the wind; one's ability to correctly gauge the distance (the rangefinder makes that easy); one's ability to set up a stable shooting "platform" in the field; one's ability to control their breathing and excitement; one's ability to pull the trigger without moving the rest of the rifle even a tiny bit; one's ability to operate the equipment you are using ("in your sleep") under field conditions; using a good cartridge and bullet for the task; one's ability to field dress the animal and get it on ice asap; the quality/price/complexity of their rifle/scope setup.

In short, a $750 rifle/scope combo, plus $4,000 of ammo and range time will always outshoot a $4,000 rifle/scope combo and $750 of ammo and range time.

Just like real estate agents say, "location, location, location"; and James Carville says, "it's the economy stupid"; the most important factor in rifle shooting is, "practice, practice practice", not the gear.

Last edited:
300 mag with some of the lighter bullets like 165’s shoot like a laser. Would be perfect goat medicine

I’m taking my new 300wm lope hunting next week. I bought it for elk but figured what the hell. I have shot lopes with 223, 243, 7mag and 9mm Glock and the result was always the same. Use it and have fun. choose your shot and you Will have little meat loss.

Not knocking spending $$ on nice stuff (I have some nice toys too). And I am not judging you, for all I know you are a Special Ops sniper. But for the broader audience, I will add that a $400 Ruger American .243 shooting green box CoreLokt ammo with a $199 scope and no rangefinder in the hands of a practiced hunter and shooter will always fair better in the field than a fancy set up with a guy who puts one or two boxes of ammo through their rifle a year or does all their shooting off a bench/bipods, on calm days at 100y.

A hunter's ability to successfully bring home tasty antelope with be directly affected by the following considerations in this order: one's ability to successfully stalk within 300y or so of the animal; one's ability to read and account for the wind; one's ability to correctly gauge the distance (the rangefinder makes that easy); one's ability to set up a stable shooting "platform" in the field; one's ability to control their breathing and excitement; one's ability to pull the trigger without moving the rest of the rifle even a tiny bit; one's ability to operate the equipment you are using ("in your sleep") under field conditions; using a good cartridge and bullet for the task; one's ability to field dress the animal and get it on ice asap; the quality/price/complexity of their rifle/scope setup.

In short, a $750 rifle/scope combo, plus $4,000 of ammo and range time will always outshoot a $4,000 rifle/scope combo and $750 of ammo and range time.

Just like real estate agents say, "location, location, location"; and James Carville says, "it's the economy stupid"; the most important factor in rifle shooting is, "practice, practice practice", not the gear.
Amen to that! This sniper mentality in our culture drives me nuts.

I’m quite guilty of what you’re suggesting. I’m not too much of a gear nerd but I live in Florida and have more money than time, and not nearly the access to places to shoot as those of you who don’t live in a city with 3 million other people. But I’ve taken up hunting in the last few years and have loved it and want to do more of it. I practice when I can but if spending a bit more might tip some odds in my favor then I’m happy to spend it, even if that makes me look obnoxious.

Amen to that! This sniper mentality in our culture drives me nuts.
I’m not an operator, just a lawyer without a ton of confidence in my shooting ability. I just started hunting the last 3 years and have one nice elk to my credit though, 352 yards downhill. Proud of that shot since I’d literally never shot on a range that went past 300 and based my holdover on the ballistic drop chart I memorized on the flight out west! Bought the nicer setup after that for an upcoming caribou and moose hunt in Newfoundland. I trust sig more than my memory.

Always look for the 'need' to buy another rifle, but if the one you want doesn't fit the situation currently, then I'd stay with the same rifle & ammo you're using already.

Last edited:
I've seen a few dropped with a .300 win mag. I don't think it matters much which bullet you use, just hit them in the lungs. That said, I 'm all for new rifle purchases. A good compliment to the 300 win mag and one of the best cartridges ever is the .270 Winchester.

The guy who schooled me on my first antelope hunt (highly experienced former guide) said that antelope are basically looking for somewhere to die. Another guy on our trip folded one right up with a .22 Creedmoor, another fell like it was touched by the hand of god to a 6.5 Creedmoor.

That being said, I shot mine with a 28 Nosler. That round is packing some serious gear and I lost very little meat, luckily stayed out of the shoulder. I would think your .300 will do just fine. Personally I would probably dial it in for a lighter grain projectile, but that’s just me.

With today's modern bullet choices, like others have said, put it through the lungs and it's not overkill, plus extends your distance. But, there's always an excuse to buy another rifle :cool:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I’m shying away from buying another gun because I’ve got champagne taste and a beer budget at the moment. Stupid COVID pay cuts at my place of business, should hopefully be back to normal soon but until then I’m focused on making sure everything stays the same for my kids (riding lessons, tennis lesson, violin lessons, private school, personal training...I’m basically just the conduit through which money flows, as I get to keep none for myself)! If things turn around then I’ll look for another rifle but sounds like mine will do the trick for now so long as I focus on shot placement.

Bud's does 90 day layaway and you can't go wrong with today's entry level $350-400 rifle and scope combos ;)

If your going to use your 300, use the 168g Accubond Long Range and push them as fast as possible. It will hit them like a howitzer! 🤣

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I don't have enough internet points to post my own......I see lots of .243 suggestions. What do people think of a .223 for antelope? I'm striking out so far on archery and my tag can also be used in rifle season. I'm wondering what kind of distance would be ethical with a .223? I still have 2 more weekends of archery so hopefully I won't have to use a rifle but better to be prepared.

Back