Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

300 win for Pronghorn

rwbowser

So I’m pretty new to hunting and have only one hunting rifle, but it’s a doozy: Gunwerks Magnus in 300 win, set up to shoot their 208 gr round. It’s a comfortable and accurate rifle, no complaints. But I’ve got my first antelope hunt next year and I fear this setup is a bit overkill. Any factory ammo recommendations? Or do I need to suck it up and buy a second rifle? Thanks!

That rifle will work well if you do your job. A good mono bullet will work perfectly - since they don't fragment you don't get as much meat loss if you are a little on the big side. I suggest a 150 grain TTSX from Barnes. Some like the Nosler and Hornady equivalents and some swear by Hammers. Go double lung and don't bother punching through a shoulder if you can avoid it.

Agree with VikingsGuy. Yes, it's a bit overkill, but as long as you don't punch it through the shoulder, it'll be fine. I mean, it'll be dead if you punch it through the shoulder, obviously, but you'll go from like 35 pounds of recoverable meat to 20, as that round will likely significantly impact both shoulders.

You can pick up a cheap 243 or something in that range that would be a great pronghorn rifle. I think the t/c compass is on sale right now and they are really accurate for the $. What the fellows already said is accurate as far as using the rifle you already have.

One thing about antelope is they are notoriously wimpy. Even with a badly placed shot they don't go very far and then usually stay put. And usually the terrain doesn't provide much in the way of hiding places. Now don't misinterpret. I'm not advocating sloppy shooting, but I think going with a less fragmentary large calibre high speed bullet would work fine since bang-flop doesn't need to be an overriding concern. However, saving what little meat is on those tiny critters should be. Only second to humanely killing them of course. It's a balancing act. Any thoughts on solid match bullets for this job with this gun? I admit to kinda talking out my butt here. I don't care to eat them so I haven't hunted antelope for years.

This guy and I think alike. I have hunted all over the world the last fifty-six years for all kinds of game with just one gun, a sporterized WWII Springfield. Save the money for trips instead of wasting it on toys you really don't need.

I would add a bipod to that rifle if he doesn't already have one. Essential equipment for long range plains game.

My hat's off to the gent for asking this question. Shows he has some ethics.

Last edited:
One thing about antelope is they are notoriously wimpy. Even with a badly placed shot they don't go very far and then usually stay put. And usually the terrain doesn't provide much in the way of hiding places. Now don't misinterpret. I'm not advocating sloppy shooting, but I think going with a less fragmentary large calibre high speed bullet would work fine since bang-flop doesn't need to be an overriding concern. However, saving what little meat is on those tiny critters should be. Only second to humanely killing them of course. It's a balancing act. Any thoughts on solid match bullets for this job with this gun? I admit to kinda talking out my butt here. I don't care to eat them so I haven't hunted antelope for years.

This guy and I think alike. I have hunted all over the world the last fifty-six years for all kinds of game with just one gun, a sporterized WWII Springfield. Save the money for trips instead of wasting it on toys you really don't need.

I would add a bipod to that rifle if he doesn't already have one. Essential equipment for long range plains game.

My hat's off to the gent for asking this question. Shows he has some ethics.

... well

The only two animals I've personally seen lost were pronghorn.

I shot a doe with a muzzy dropped her she popped back up and ran 6 ish miles before she hit private. I followed her until she hit the boundary line. Next morning we caught her in the scope deep on private and looked fine. Muzzy must have gone between the lungs and the spine.

My buddy shot a buck with a 7mm rem mag. Hit it three times, it ran on three legs out of our lives forever.

So yeah...

I shot a doe with a muzzy dropped her she popped back up and ran 6 ish miles before she hit private. I followed her until she hit the boundary line. Next morning we caught her in the scope deep on private and looked fine. Muzzy must have gone between the lungs and the spine.

Or she just "stopped, dropped and rolled" to avoid the ball - clean miss ;)

I will second picking up a .243, they are perfect for lopes and deer. Also good used ones are plentiful on gunbroker.com. Also keep a eye out on LRH forum. There are deals to be had if your patient.

I bought one for my son and like it so much I kept it. I might let him borrow it....

I've seen a buck shot in the foot go to the first draw and stand. Gut shot didn't go near as far as a deer would. Not my shooting, by the way. Other family members. I hit one once and dropped it flat, then it got up and staggered off as I was walking out. Through the scope I could see the horn on opposite side laying against his face. I had a cast on my left wrist and couldn't get off a decent offhand follow up shot. Ruined a very nice trophy but at least that old boy would not run off and die a miserable death. Who knows. Maybe one horn made him a more effective fighter and his genes still run the range at White Sulphur Springs.

If we are going down the road of a second gun for western states hunting (which is ALWAYS fun, but definitely not necessary to answer OPs question), then how can we leave out the 25-06Rem? The 25-06 is a classic (dare I say perfect) open ground pronghorn/deer cartridge in my opinion.

... well

The only two animals I've personally seen lost were pronghorn.

My buddy shot a buck with a 7mm rem mag. Hit it three times, it ran on three legs out of our lives forever.

So yeah...
So your buddy hit it three times in the same leg? An antelope hit three times anywhere else with a meat mangling 7mm mag shouldn't have left enough meat for a salami sandwich.

If you're comfortable with the gun and the load is dialed in, use it. As others have said, avoid the shoulder and go double lung. Of course the fact this is a good excuse for another gun shouldn't be overlooked.

So your buddy hit it three times in the same leg? An antelope hit three times anywhere else with a meat mangling 7mm mag shouldn't have left enough meat for a salami sandwich.

Brisket, neck, low shoulder below the lung.

Friends don't let friends shoot this poorly. Afterwards, did you take your friend to the range for some practice? ;)

Yes... and a new trigger, Remington SPS with that stupid whatever 80lb trigger pull, you basically need to have your buddy hold the gun and use both hands to pull the trigger.

Also the time that my buddy only brought 4 bullets 🤦‍♂️

Just double lung it with your .300 WM. I use Barnes and almost no meat damage as there is little meat on antelope ribs. I simply don't understand all these "high shoulder shots", where, apparently the goal is to interrupt nerve plexi but also ruin one or both shoulders. We've killed animals shooting them through the heart and lungs for decades.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I’m shying away from buying another gun because I’ve got champagne taste and a beer budget at the moment. Stupid COVID pay cuts at my place of business, should hopefully be back to normal soon but until then I’m focused on making sure everything stays the same for my kids (riding lessons, tennis lesson, violin lessons, private school, personal training...I’m basically just the conduit through which money flows, as I get to keep none for myself)! If things turn around then I’ll look for another rifle but sounds like mine will do the trick for now so long as I focus on shot placement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back