Favorite 100% copper bullets for 300 Win Mag handloads?

I was very happy with CX 165's in my 300 win mag last season. Haven't shot an elk with them, but mule deer appear to be allergic to them. Muley last year was shot at 220 yds and had excellent bullet performance, quartering to shot, through the near shoulder and out through the abdomen with moderate expansion. I like the extra velocity of the 165 and still good energy out to beyond what I'm willing to shoot game.

I've not tried CX out of 300WinMag but the 120s absolutely kill out of 6.5 creedmoor. I bet a 165 or possibly a 180 CX would make short work of most critters
I have developed a sub 0.55 MOA load with 150-gr CX's for my 7mm RM. Still waiting for the right bull to step in front of that bullet though.

I have some 190 grain Barnes LRX and some 200 grain LRX that I will be trying in my 300 win mag this year.

Not a Win Mag but I've made one shot kills on bull elk with 168 gr Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets from my .300 Wby. My elk, and everything else load now for my .300 Wby is with 180 gr TTSX bullets.

I have some 190 grain Barnes LRX and some 200 grain LRX that I will be trying in my 300 win mag this year.
That’s a lot of copper bullet for that cartridge. You are going to have to seat them deep unless your setup with a long throated chamber and mag well. I would recommend 175 and leave those heavies to the PRC guys.

166gr Hammer hunter at 3160fps. I’m sure I could up the velocity a bit but they are shooting very well so not going to tinker

Has anyone seen a tangible benefit to AH over HH? From hammertime reported fps, it seems moot as HH already has the speed within reasonable hunting distances.

Has anyone seen a tangible benefit to AH over HH? From hammertime reported fps, it seems moot as HH already has the speed within reasonable hunting distances.
The guys that shoot the lighter AH love them because they push them very fast and they seemingly shoot like lasers. Neither has a real advantage over the other in most hunting scenarios unless you're really pushing the AH hard. I think once you get to the midweight 7mm the gap between the AH and HH for speed really tightens and I'd rather have the more ballistically efficient HH bullet. If you haven't already started to tinker, the HHT might be a better option though it is a much more expensive option

W
The guys that shoot the lighter AH love them because they push them very fast and they seemingly shoot like lasers. Neither has a real advantage over the other in most hunting scenarios unless you're really pushing the AH hard. I think once you get to the midweight 7mm the gap between the AH and HH for speed really tightens and I'd rather have the more ballistically efficient HH bullet. If you haven't already started to tinker, the HHT might be a better option though it is a much more expensive option
When the AH came out, Hammer said that the advantage of the AH decreased as bore size increased. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back