2017 OTC Colorado Archery Elk Unit 77 - Late September

jeg9792

My buddies and I are planning a September archery elk hunt in Colorado unit 77 this year about Sept 16 - 24. We hunted this same area last year, didn't see anything but a few deer, lots of grouse, and a cow elk way up at the top of another peak at about 4:30pm on the evening of the last day of our hunt. We set up our main camp on the side of a main road, and as we were packing our camp up the next morning an older local guy from Pagosa stopped by to visit with us. He said we were in a great spot, but we were about two weeks to early. On that trip we hunted the first 10 days of the 2016 archery season. He said that the elk hunting in this area didn't start to get good until the last couple weeks of September. I'm a flat lander from Texas and elk hunting is somewhat foreign to me. Last year was my first time to go. We walked our butts off usually walking around 8 miles each day through all that deadfall timber. I'm trying to get any information I can on this unit and where to look for elk so we don't have a repeat of last year. Not looking for anyone's secret squirrel honey hole, but just some advice. I've done quite a bit of reading and some say elk are on the North facing slopes, some say above 11k feet, get at least a mile away from roads or trails, etc. We tried all of that last year and with exception of the cow on the last day didn't see a hair. Any info would be great, please PM me if you feel like helping. Thanks in advance.

Also, any information on outfitters in that area that could pack out an elk would be great.

Back