Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

truck tire opinions

Robertsj22

I have a 2014 dodge ram with the 20 in rims. Looking for new tires this fall. I had looked at the bfg ko2 but am concerned about road noise. I do go on dirt and gravel for hunting season each year but the rest of the year its daily driver. Looking for options that would be a good trail tire and snow tire but not so noisey on the road that its annoying.

bfg ko2 but am concerned about road noise.
They don't seem overly noisy on my 2005 Ram 3500. But if you want quiet tires, don't mount those that are designed for mud / snow and backroads. Get highway tread tires. Even with a heavy camper onboard in summer months, I haven't seen excessive wear on my KO2's.

You might check back on this forum, as the truck tire question has been discussed, ad nauseum.

Like Straight Arrow said, there has been a bunch of tire questions and threads. Try the search function and you should be able to find them.

One new thing I have to add since all of the other tire threads.. It may be as cheap to buy a set of factory takeoffs with decent tread tires in a smaller diameter. Our SUV has 18" wheels, this morning I ordered takeoff 17" wheels with about 90% tread highway tires (Goodyear) for $650. Going from 18" to 17" opens up a ton more 10-ply rated tires, and they appear to be about $30-$40 cheaper per tire for the BFG KO2s on TireRack (I imagine similar cost savings at most tire shops). Overall tire size stays the same, you just have more sidewall and save some money.

I will run the Goodyears until they're used up, and I have all 4 of the current 18" wheels with well-worn Cooper 10-Ply ATs to use as spares. Once the Goodyears are gone on the 17" wheels, I'll buy some more Coopers or some BFGs for the 17s and save around $150 on the set vs the same for the 18" wheels.

To me it was a no-brainer, save some money and have 4 full-size spares..

Last edited:
Same, all the current tacomas come with 17"+ wheels, mine came in with 20"ers. First thing I did was get a set of 16" wheels when those tires were shot.

Sounds like you don't do any serious off-roading though. I'd just carry a spare, drive/wheel reasonably, and use whatever of the tougher highway tires you want.

I have put 700,000 miles on BF goodrich radial ta Ko tires between three trucks over the years.

I don't ever run highway tread on anything, so I cant compare the KO2 to a highway tire, but I've always thought BFGs did very well in the low-noise aspect. I think they're a good off road & snow tire as well as a very good all-around tire, the only area I find fault with them is they throw gravel more than Cooper ST Maxx or Nitto Ridge Grapplers. The gravel issue seems to even out over the life of the tire, but with the majority of my miles being on gravel roads I tend to use the Cooper and Nitto tires.

You won't go wrong with the KO2. I have the General Grabber AT2s which are very similar and aren't noisy unless my alignment is off. I have about 35k miles on them and they're still going strong.

KO2 tires are not that noisy, mine have been holding up very well. They run smooth at 80-90 mph cross country and are very good off road. I think you would be happy with them. 275/55/r20 on my ford

I have a set of BFG ATs going on this morning. They have always served me well. I also find them quite quiet as AT tires go.

For what it is worth, it seems that Ford dealers are selling tires 4 for the price of 3 today through the 29th of September.

I currently run the Falken wildpeak At3/w, So far so good. I don’t have any excess of road noise and off the top my head I have around 20,000 miles on them and they’re wearing very well.

Last edited:
I have run the KO2's twice on my 2003 Chev and always liked them. I changed out to the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac and have been running them for about 12,000 mile and they are wearing great. I think they are actually a bit quieter than the KO2's and so far I have been really happy with the off-road capabilities.

I only have two rigs but needed to buy tires for both of them in the last 30 days. For my 84' 2500 GMC Utility, i bought Nitto Terra Cruisers in 305X75X16's and my 82' 1/2 ton chevy 4x4 pop-up camper rig i bought BF Goodrich KO2 31X10.5X15"s for my stock wheels. The KO2's are quieter than i thought they might be, really quiet actually. Don't over look the Nitto's, mine came in 10 ply, they wear great, priced right, and going thru 3 sets of them in the last dozen years in some rough places, i've yet to complain of their performance off road. I went with the Goodrich because in my tire size in the unpopular 15" rim, i got 4 delivered total out the door for $627. thru tire rack. Scores!

I was concerned about noise on the KO2's as well. Finally bit the bullet and put them on my Colorado, they are immensely improved over the original KOs, wouldn't let the noise scare you off.

I put a set of Duck Commander tires by Cooper on my not everywhere in the forest truck. They are 10 ply and have been great for my needs on that truck.
TBC has a newer tire at Plains we looked at and it looks like a good tread and comes in 10 ply for less than $200. That will be the next on my truck. It is snow rated too which is a big deal for us.
I had some Goodyear Wranglers on it and they were awesome but too expensive, not the duratracs. Duratracs are on the go anywhere truck, and they go anywhere without issues.
The Coopers are quiet and have lasted a while, 40,000+ miles. For the $180 I paid each can't complain.
By the way, not a fan of Duck Commander show or guys, that is NOT why I put them on my truck, lol.

My son put the BFG AT02 on his 09 Dodge Ram 1500 this summer. He seems to like them so far and since he paid for them, they seem to last longer than when dad was footing the bill.

I have a 2014 dodge ram with the 20 in rims. Looking for new tires this fall. I had looked at the bfg ko2 but am concerned about road noise. I do go on dirt and gravel for hunting season each year but the rest of the year its daily driver. Looking for options that would be a good trail tire and snow tire but not so noisey on the road that its annoying.

I just took off a set of 275/65 R20 KO2's with just under 20K & gave em to my son in law. They are the best 'aggressive' tire I've ran. Smooth ride and acceptable db's. He had some knobby Coopers prior to the BF's and is amazed at the difference. I switched to same size Michelin LTX AT2, more of a highway tire really, but mainly because I didn't want him on those slick Coopers any longer. He has a 2500 Chevy, mine is a 2500 GMC. The Michelins are quieter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back