PEAX Equipment

What're you doing on rigs who's manual says "no chains up front"?

lifeisgoodsteve

Hi All,

I know a lot of modern trucks and cars have this issue and I'm facing it now with a new to me, '05 LX470 which I'm loving. Curious how you've decided to go when having a rig with this issue and what your actual experience is? How has it affected your time in the mountains?

Let's assume normally running a solid AT (like KO2's, etc.).

Options I've heard are:
  1. Only chain the back - be careful not to go too deep and get caught and then hope you can steer if need put on rear chains.
  2. Front spacers - quite a few do this, but I'd rather not use spacers as just another failure point, especially after hearing someone's experience of spacer failure at 75mph on the hwy. New wheels with different offset is possible, but pricey
  3. Snow Tires with or without studs
    1. How do the dedicated snow tires handle the forest roads, more snow accumulation, etc that we get when hunting vs. the street driving they're used most for?
In my case, daily winter driving is just fine with the KO2's, so this is really just preparing for the forest road access during hunting and winter backcountry excursions.

Curious peoples experience.

Thanks,

S

Hi All,

I know a lot of modern trucks and cars have this issue and I'm facing it now with a new to me, '05 LX470 which I'm loving. Curious how you've decided to go when having a rig with this issue and what your actual experience is? How has it affected your time in the mountains?

Let's assume normally running a solid AT (like KO2's, etc.).

Options I've heard are:
  1. Only chain the back - be careful not to go too deep and get caught and then hope you can steer if need put on rear chains.
  2. Front spacers - quite a few do this, but I'd rather not use spacers as just another failure point, especially after hearing someone's experience of spacer failure at 75mph on the hwy. New wheels with different offset is possible, but pricey
  3. Snow Tires with or without studs
    1. How do the dedicated snow tires handle the forest roads, more snow accumulation, etc that we get when hunting vs. the street driving they're used most for?
In my case, daily winter driving is just fine with the KO2's, so this is really just preparing for the forest road access during hunting and winter backcountry excursions.

Curious peoples experience.

Thanks,

S

I'm not sure how hardcore your winter wheeling is. But If it is what i'm picturing in my head, you are going to need a considerable lift to get beefier chains on. Otherwise there are small car chain options that may do the trick.

Does your LX have Air ride? I would be especially concerned about chains with air shocks up front. Make sure the fit is very tight and keep your speeds down.

You have a very off-road capable vehicle. But its not a jeep, wheel wells are just not that big.

I run chains on the front, I use extra tensioners to make them extremely tight. I also have them cut to exact length on the inside so there isn’t any extra chain slapping around. I haven’t had any issue.

09 tundra with ko2s

I'm not sure how hardcore your winter wheeling is. But If it is what i'm picturing in my head, you are going to need a considerable lift to get beefier chains on. Otherwise there are small car chain options that may do the trick.
Good points. It does have the hydraulic suspensions and about 1" clearance between sidewall and front upper control arm. I've heard amazing things about the LC/LX but my goal is not snow wheeling, else I'd have gotten an old Tacoma and put ridiculously massive tires on it like guys around here. I just don't want to be too limited to reach various spots to access hunting areas during rifle season and spring bear.

In non-snow seasons, I'm perfectly happy with just the largest tire that'll fit stock as it has enough clearance for the forest roads I drive, as I'm not planning rock crawling adventures. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yep and don't drive into a drift.
Don't tell Shrapnel that, as it looks like he's having fun there. Actually, when I round a corner to one of those north facing sections in winter/spring, I'll often park it and walk a bit to try to make sure not big drifts.

At 52, while adventurous for sure, whether it's good or bad I probably have more brains than balls so tend not to push tooo far into sketchy conditions. That said, if I get into an area safely but snow hits while I'm there, I like to give myself the best means to get out safely too. Last weekend, timed my drive out at mid-day so could avoid the overnight icy freeze.

Most people learn the drift lesson once.
I worked for years with a guy who never learned that lesson. Of course, his philosophy about driving in the woods was that we have four-wheel drive, chains, a winch and shovels in the back. If all that don't work, we always have the radio to call for help. Never did have to use the radio but I sure did do a lot of shoveling.

I spend probably a month during most winters where chains never come off all 4 on old truck so hoping this thread go somewhere. My understanding is it's not just an issue of clearance, but torque on front end components.

What's the owners manual say on ford super duty? Certainly someone's making a truck that can still go to work.

I have a Ford F-250 diesel 4X4 and use the diamond pattern flat chain on both the front and rear. The problem with using them with a diesel on the front tires is the torque. You can rip them off if you try to use too much power.

if your limited on room tire socks could be a posibility??they do work good in snow,,,dont think theyed do good in mud though..just a option.

Most people learn the drift lesson once
Yea, most. We dug a guy's land cruiser out once.....once. We were coming out from a ski tour and came across the guy spinning his wheels in a drift 100 yards in from the winter parking area. He didn't even have a shovel with him. The four of us got out our avalanche gear and shoveled him out only to watch him drive right back into the same drift and get stuck the exact same way while we were putting our skis back on. Needless to say we skied the last 100 yards to our truck and drove away. Don't know what happened but he either walked the 5 or 6 miles to the nearest house or the next party to pass shoveled him out. Mind boggling to say the least!

I avoid chains at all costs. If it gets hairy I just park it and start hunting or find a different spot. On at least one occasion I've taken the ski touring gear with and hunted that way.

I avoid chains at all costs. If it gets hairy I just park it and start hunting or find a different spot. On at least one occasion I've taken the ski touring gear with and hunted that way.
Yep. There was no problem chaining up the front of my old '87 Chev pickup and in low transfer 4x4 third gear (manual) it would walk up a tree. But those trucks were built different. No boots to tear up if a chain came loose. I have chains for rear of my 1998 Jimmy but never put them on. I learn to avoid situations where they might be needed. Don't need to shoot anything that badly. I generally hunt alone when in remote areas so if I get stuck it could be a life threatening situation.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back