First Time Archery Elk - SNAKES!

irishisc

Heading to South Central CO for an archery elk hunt from OK next month and while planning my gear list, a buddy asked me if snake boots/gaiters would be something we need to pack. This time of year in OK, you should not go out without them but none of us have any hunting experience above 1000ft.

I'd leave them at home. I can't imagine hunting in snake boots/gaiters in the mountains.

Thanks, NoWiser. I appreciate the input and saving me from packing and wearing those uncomfortable thing around.

I've never had an issue with snakes. I actually like gaiters for those morning hunts where the dew would soak your pants.

I wouldn't worry about snakes. Highly unlikely you will stumble onto one let alone a poisonous one. They do live here in Colorado but I've never run across venomous snakes while hunting here or in Arizona. You could be vigilant though at low elevations if temps are hovering 80-85. Good luck with your hunt!! By the way, gaiters are never a bad idea either. As mentioned, keeps your pant cuffs dry with dewey mornings and keeps all sorts of little things from entering boot tops.

I'd echo what others have said. At that elevation I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

I hunted the Lincoln National Forest in NM last year during mid September and wasn't concerned about snakes at all even though I had an encounter with one. I was sitting in the timber next to a meadow one afternoon waiting for elk to come to a water hole. I set my bow in front of me while I waited. I decided to reposition myself, so I reached down for my bow and found this guy in the grass:

IMG_0679.jpg

You can't see it in the picture, but part of my bow was touching the snake's tail. It never did move.

I live in So. Central Colorado in the mountain foothills. Our elevation is 8500 ft. As such, we're right on the borderline for rattlesnakes. We have some dandy's around here, but I wouldn't say we're thick with them. Once you get a tad higher, (where the Elk are), you'll be out of their habitat, elevation wise. If you're hunting archery season, so warm days could have snakes about if you're hunting that low, but when it starts to get a bit cooler, they'll be in their dens. That last thing I'd worry about is rattlesnakes during an Elk hunt. You're more apt to need preventative stuff for blisters than snakebite.

There are some units where elk and rattlesnakes overlap, but there aren't enough rattlers that I'd go so far as to wear snake gaiters. This one in the pic was at 7200'

Attachments

• Hunting Snake 2.jpg
    Hunting Snake 2.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 405
I've hunted central CO on 5 archery hunts and have yet to see a snake. Bears, mountain lion, no snakes.

Thanks so much, everyone! We'll be camping around 8500 and hunting higher than that so it sounds like I don't need to worry about those pesky snakes. Really appreciate all the help.

I ran into this guy and his friend 2 years ago in New Mexico at 8,000'. I stepped within 12" of him and never heard him rattle, though my hunting partner did. Being from an area without rattlers, I felt lucky to see them. I did watch where I stepped pretty carefully for about an hour afterwards. They are about the last thing I worry about while hunting.

P1040188.jpg

Back