NM 6B Valles Caldera Early Archery Elk Hunt

Just finished up my scouting trip out at the Caldera this past week and figured I would give an update:
I found an archery mentor/coach near my location who is helping me as I prepare for September. His help has been invaluable and I definitely feel more confident in regards to the archery side of things. Still lots of practice and work to do but headed in the right direction.
As far as scouting, I was able to spend 4 days at the Valles Caldera. Driving the backcountry roads and becoming familiar with the terrain has been great. Saw hundreds of cows and calves out in the Valle Grande, which can’t be hunted but is incredible to witness. The scenery was breathtaking. Was able to locate at least a few bulls each day either early or late out by Hwy 4 on the South side of the preserve. The last day proved to be the most fruitful, seeing a bachelor group of over 30 bulls (many already 5x5 or better).
Walked away from the scouting trip with a solid lay of the landscape and a plan for where to start in September (along with many back-up plans).
The NPS staff at the Caldera was helpful in trying to help answer a few questions I had about the regulations that come along with this hunt. Great people all the away around.
Excited to keep practicing with my bow and get out there in September. Attached are a few pictures that I got while scouting.View attachment 281800View attachment 281797View attachment 281798View attachment 281799
The second picture is my fav. The cow standing there with the look of “Who left me with all these screaming kids?”

Just finished up my scouting trip out at the Caldera this past week and figured I would give an update:
I found an archery mentor/coach near my location who is helping me as I prepare for September. His help has been invaluable and I definitely feel more confident in regards to the archery side of things. Still lots of practice and work to do but headed in the right direction.
As far as scouting, I was able to spend 4 days at the Valles Caldera. Driving the backcountry roads and becoming familiar with the terrain has been great. Saw hundreds of cows and calves out in the Valle Grande, which can’t be hunted but is incredible to witness. The scenery was breathtaking. Was able to locate at least a few bulls each day either early or late out by Hwy 4 on the South side of the preserve. The last day proved to be the most fruitful, seeing a bachelor group of over 30 bulls (many already 5x5 or better).
Walked away from the scouting trip with a solid lay of the landscape and a plan for where to start in September (along with many back-up plans).
The NPS staff at the Caldera was helpful in trying to help answer a few questions I had about the regulations that come along with this hunt. Great people all the away around.
Excited to keep practicing with my bow and get out there in September. Attached are a few pictures.....

Awesome pictures. You're doing this tag justice by enjoying all aspects of the hunt. I have no doubt your going to be successful. Thank you for continuing the updates and bringing us along for the ride.

This year I had the good fortune of drawing an early archery tag (Sept 1-14) in NM for Unit 6B - Valles Caldera. I've done some rifle hunting out West the past few years but this will be my first archery hunt for elk and I have never killed an elk. This unit is very unique in how it was managed previously and the continued lack of hunting pressure that it now receives. The more I research, the more excited I am about the hunt in September.

Despite this, I still feel pretty unprepared for what is coming my way. I am hoping to gain some insight and advice on things I should consider leading up to the hunt that I may not be thinking about.

My biggest priority currently is becoming much more proficient with my bow and extending my effective shooting distance. I'm also working on putting together a new arrow/broadhead setup as I have never hunted anything as large as an elk with my bow. I have been doing quite a bit of e-scouting and working to develop a plan to start the season. This summer, in June, I plan for visit the Valles Caldera multiple days to try to get a better lay of the land to be ready for September. I have talked with a few previous hunters who drew a tag for this unit and have gotten very different stories on elk behavior and tactics during the archery seasons. I think this could be partly due to drought vs. wet conditions in previous years. At this time, the unit is not in any kind of drought.

I don't plan on holding out for an elk with a certain score/size of antler, though I have been told I should try to be patient if I can.
More than anything I want to have a great experience and enjoy the hunt while having done my work and preparation ahead of time to be successful.
Any helpful advice as I really dig into the planning for this hunt would be much appreciated.
Good luck and congrats on the tag

Excited to keep practicing with my bow and get out there in September. Attached are a few pictures that I got while scouting.View attachment 281800View attachment 281797View attachment 281798View attachment 281799
Beautiful pictures

Thank you, I hope to do it justice! Been keeping an eye on the Black Feather Fire that’s active up there in that area. Hoping it doesn’t turn that direction.
Hopefully it doesn't. It's raining right now in santa fe hopefully they get some moisture that way.

Read all the way through this with a bad case of antler anticipation, but alas….nothing.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back