Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

My Avatar Is

OriginalOscar

Love the variety of HT avatars and often wonder the story. I'll go first.

My current Avatar is Newspaper Panel near Canyonlands National Park. Took the picture several years back during a wonderful vacation with my wife of 30 years.

Mine is a sweet deadhead that my uncle found I saw the buck alive 5 years before.

Mine is a picture of my son and I overlooking the badlands of SD. It was our first trip to the Badlands NP. He was about 5 months old at the time.

Kenya c1969 picture of my dad holding his elephant tusks, along with myself, sister and one twin brother. The next CITES importation ban was expected to become effective, so he shipped the tusks and a leopard mount back to the states before we moved back to Colorado so as to remain legal.

I just pulled it up on my iPad to look at the photo again, and was quite surprised to see that my little brother was barefoot at the time. One family rule was that we didn't go barefoot (outside our house) to prevent getting hookworm infections.

Last edited:
Mine is me with a Tule elk,my one & only from CA. I had gotten the bug again after 20 yrs & could not draw an CA elk tag to save my life. Buddy ran a ranch between the La Panza & Carriza Plains & told me to come out. Spent 2 days with 2 old friends crawling for miles thru grass & this was still one of the toughest elk hunts I have ever been on. 90 deg & open hilly country with hundreds of eyes watching. 1/2 mi crawl thru knee high grass to within 175 yrds & me laughing as they try and signal me into range without being spotted.
This year I trade places & will try & help Mike & Randy on their 1st NM elk & antelope hunts.

The Red Mountain Flume, which collects snowmelt and runs into Chessman Reservoir - Where Helena's drinking water comes from.

Hypothetically, I've heard that certain conceivable residents of Jefferson County have been known to take childish pride in peeing in it whenever the opportunity arises. Allegedly.

Last edited:
A wood duck from a Christmas trip to Oregon. There is a park with a little duck pond that gets absolutely packed with hundreds of woodies during certain winters, and we always try to make a little photography trip over there. I've never seen so many of them in one place.

Standing in my backyard with the antlers from my 2013 Wyoming bull on my head. Pretty childish, but I really like the way they look up in the skyline and that was about the only way to get a picture of them like that.

Chinese Water Deer, first one I killed while stationed at Kunsan AB, South Korea. I ran the BASH (Bird/Wildlife Aircraft Strike Hazard) program for the year I was there. Used a Remmy 870 with 7 1/2 bird shot while he was running at 10 yards. Some of the best tasting deer I have ever eaten.

My avatar is an old picture of John "Chic" Sconfienza. He was my next door neighbor that passed away at age 87 just a few weeks ago. He was born in 1930 in the Meaderville district of Butte. He moved to Wise River in the 40's and had been here his whole life. His life was filled with an adventure everyday- his yard is decorated with old mining implements and old Army-related items such as guns and bombs. You cannot mistake his place when you drive by- 7 miles south of Wise River on the Scenic Byway. He was a collector of fine automobiles including Mercedes, Ferrari, Astin Martin, Rolls Royce, and many others. And a great collection of new and old tractors. His firearm collection was second to none. The ATF even stopped by the other day to ensure everything has paperwork and is legit. They did not find any dynamite and the 30mm cannon checked out.
Rest in peace good friend, Chic. We will miss you.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 540
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 562
Packing an archery bull kill out of the mountains. If there is such a thing as enjoyable pain, coming out of the mountains with a heavy load after a tough hunt is that for me.

My 2011 archery bull. It was my first elk and first game animal with a bow. That set the bar pretty high, and my kills have been getting smaller and smaller ever since :p

Great idea for a thread! Mine is coming out of the mountains with my first archery bull on a crisp autumn evening in Montana.

My biggest musky, 54" from Lake Bemidji, MN. Caught around midnight of a new moon, totally black out, hit at boatside with 2' of line out on a bucktail that my buddy makes. Released for someone else to enjoy hopefully. I don't fish muskies much now, as I take my family a lot more now and just enjoy getting the rod bent instead of casting for days on end for one big bite.

Back