Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Caliber Choice - Kimber Mnt Accent

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18333

I have question for those with more knowledge than me on rifle calibers. Just today I finally bit the bullet and became a life member of BHA. By doing so I can receive a Kimber Mnt Accent. The caliber choices are 270 Win, 280 AI, 30-06, 308 Win, 300 WSM, 270 WSM, 300 Win Mag, 7mm RM and 7mm-08. The gun will primarily be used for high country, backpack, Mule deer hunts, antelope and occasionally elk. The gun I use for everything at the moment is a 300RUM. I love this gun but it is big and heavy and I like the idea of a lighter weight rifle as I get close to turning 44. I still intend to use the 300 RUM as my go to elk or bigger gun. I do not reload nor do I want to start so availability of factory options is an issue. Due to this I am leaning towards the 7MM RM. I am not much of a gun enthusiast, I just own them to hunt. I also am not a long range enthusiast but shots out to 400 yds are not unexpected where I hunt. I shoot a lot at the range so that I am comfortable out to 400 but I don't shoot as a hobby. I will most likely be putting a 4-12 Leupold scope on it and may look at getting custom turrets. Not positive on that as I have not gone that route in the past.

Does anyone with more knowledge than me have a better suggestion than the 7MM given my choices and my preferences?

300WSM....3" shorter & a lb lighter....caution: you'll be leaving the RUM in the safe. Good looking rifle.

Also, upgrade to a 4.5x14 Leupold VX3i

I'd go with 270/280 AI/30-06 before I'd go 7RM.

Has nothing to do with ballistics and everything to do with the rifle it comes in. The 84L action is much more svelte than the 8400. And you can handload any of the above three very close to factory 7RM ballistics.

The 8400 WSM's aren't bad though.

84M's are absolute heaven to carry if don't mind a short action chambering.

I am about to bite the same bullet, and I am going with the .284 Hunttalk (aka 7mm-08).

For what you describe, any of those calibers would be more than adequate. I like short actions, and the extra recoil, especially with such a light rifle, seems unnecessary.

My personal choice would be 7mm08. I have one and love it!!! It certainly seems to hit hard with little recoil. Just yesterday I was visiting with a buddy and he had bought one for his kids and said it worked so well he wanted one. My boy and I both have one I'm 38 he's 14, mine replaced my 300 rum as my go to rifle.

Not hand loading kind of changes things a bit...

I'm really a 7-08 fan, I've shot and seen a lot of animals shot with one the last 5 or so years. I don't think ammo availability is going to be an issue with one, but I've only shot a single box of factory out of the 3 I load for. Lots to like with a 7-08, good velocity with 140's, light recoil, fun to shoot, if you load for them very frugal powder charges and easy to find accurate loads, and they kill better than they should.

A good friend shoots the 280 AI and I have to admit its a pretty sexy round that can get you almost to the 7 RM velocity wise with 160's.

I'm biased, but I really like the 7-08...a lot.

Oh, almost forgot, thank you for the life membership to BHA.

Last edited:
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a question about the 7-08. I have noticed that a box of 7-08 costs as much, or more, than a box of 270 or 30-06. Am I looking in the wrong spots or is this the norm?

I think the 7mm Rem. Mag. is a good choice but like someone said, recoil might be a bit much with that light rifle. With you not being a reloader, I would only consider the "standard" cartridges, which to me would include the 270 Win., 308, 300 Win. Mag., and 30/06. So with those choices, and being that you already have an elk rifle, I'd definitely go with the 270. Easy choice. 7/08 is great but not as common and ammo availability is less and it's more expensive to shoot.

I like the .270 win , it has been good for me for mountain hunting . When I was young I carried my .300 win mag but too heavy and I started with the .270 many years ago.

You already have a large caliber 300 RUM so you want to get something lighter caliber/rifle combo. You do not reload and want available factory ammo with a selection. The ones that stand out are the 308, 30-06, 7-08 and 270. Personally I would go with the 270 Winchester. Wide ammo selection most everywhere. It and the 30-06 are a toss up depending on what you like. On paper the 06 has the edge but in real world it's your choice. A couple of weeks ago I was at Cabalas in Billings and they had a Kimber Mtn Accent with a 4x12 scope mounted in 270 Winchester. It was a pleasure to hold, lightweight to say the least. If you were to reload then the 280 AI would be my choice. But that's just me. There is no wrong answer to this question.

I've been told my rifle quota is filled, but that rifle in 308 is mighty tempting...

I got mine from BHA in October. I got the 300 WSM. I wanted the short action, and I've heard good things about the caliber. I'm topping it with a Vortex Razor HD LH 3X15 42mm with the G4 BDC reticle....as soon as my dealer gets it off 3-month back order.

Buzz hit the most important part of this question right here. I'm saving my pennies for the same.

Thirded.

I wish they either did a cash only Lifetime membership or had more rifle options. For whatever reason the Mountain Ascent doesn't come in .243.

I'll probably end up just picking a random membership and selling whatever gift I go with.

Thirded.

I wish they either did a cash only Lifetime membership or had more rifle options. For whatever reason the Mountain Ascent doesn't come in .243.

I'll probably end up just picking a random membership and selling whatever gift I go with.

Why don't you buy the Seek Outside tent option and sell it to me for half price? :)

+4 on the 7mm08. I've shot and hunted with light weight rifles and while you're going to appreciate the lack of weight while hunting, actually shooting them ain't no fun ! Someone is going to squawk up and try to point out that you won't feel the recoil when shooting at game, but that is what? 1-2 shots ? You will when trying to sight it in and get in some practice.

As mentioned before the 7mm08 just kills beyond what it should. It's a good balance of diameter, bullet construction......and good shooting brought on by a manageable round.

2nd choice, would be a 308. I have one of those too, just don't use it anymore, since I bought the 7/08.

Have two 7RM's also, and they both became Safe Queens when I got the 308.

I am a fan of the 300WM. It is very closely followed by the .270. A few thoughts from me: you don't really feel recoil when an animal is in the crosshairs and if you use a leadsled at the range you won't develop a flinch. I almost went with the 300WSM, but early results are that they burn barrels faster (who really knows). The plethora of data on the .300 and its use for so long really tipped me over.

I don't really think you can go wrong with anything in this category.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back