Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Who needs Earth First...

From folks who live and recreate around the area it's been described as a high use area for non-consumptive users.

I would be careful drawing conclusions based on info provided by an incompetent press fed bullsh*t from a liar in a town like Missoula. Three strikes.

I ski up towards Lolo Pass regularly in the winter. I can attest that it is a high use area for non-consumptive users.

It's kind of like going up Bozeman Creek (as far as distribution of users).

I don't know exactly where the dog was shot. All I can say is that if I was going skiing up there right now, I'd be wearing orange. I haven't been up there this fall, so I'm not sure on wolf density in the area right now. But let's just say it wouldn't be my first choice.

Fwp uses this area a lot for predator migration studies, it's a huge natural funnel between two of the most dense wolf populations in the state.

Other than turning himself in, I'm having a hard time placing blame on the shooter. Lots of wild wolves wear collars, that's not good enough.

A malamute looks about as much like a wolf as a moose does an elk.

Funny... if this was a hound dog (or 3) eaten by a pack of hungry wolves, it would be a tragedy.

Lessons. Identify your target and the backstop before your shoot. If you make a mistake, own it. Put orange vests on livestock and pets if you are allowing the animals to be away from you on public ground. Do not let dogs off leash where can hassle wildlife.

A malamute looks about as much like a wolf as a moose does an elk.

Funny... if this was a hound dog (or 3) eaten by a pack of hungry wolves, it would be a tragedy.

I don't remember hardly anyone giving a shit last year when the dogs got ate in the Ninemile other than houndsmen. Especially on this site. Dogs die, and the odds go up exponentially when you let them run loose in the woods. People not acknowledging that risk drive me nuts.

I don't remember hardly anyone giving a shit last year when the dogs got ate in the Ninemile other than houndsmen. Especially on this site. Dogs die, and the odds go up exponentially when you let them run loose in the woods. People not acknowledging that risk drive me nuts.

Agreed on the acknowledgment of risk, but this was completely avoidable if the hunter would have taken a second to verify his target.

it's one thing to accept that a wild animal will kill on instinct and acknowledge that risk, it's another to excuse the behavior of someone who, for lack of a second look, could have not taken the shot.

Having said that, I'm taking the dog for a hike on maintained city property with a high density of deer & people (and sometimes elk). It intersects a small portion of FS Land where hunting is legal. Should I put orange on her when there's 900 other dogs & 1500 Gov't workers running around without it?

Agreed on the acknowledgment of risk, but this was completely avoidable if the hunter would have taken a second to verify his target.

it's one thing to accept that a wild animal will kill on instinct and acknowledge that risk, it's another to excuse the behavior of someone who, for lack of a second look, could have not taken the shot.

Having said that, I'm taking the dog for a hike on maintained city property with a high density of deer & people (and sometimes elk). It intersects a small portion of FS Land where hunting is legal. Should I put orange on her when there's 900 other dogs & 1500 Gov't workers running around without it?

This wasn't a city park or anything near it. I hunt that area all the time, and it was on a gated road in an absolute predator pit. It's not a reach at all to target wolves there, and Fwp has encouraged hunters and trappers to work that area in the past. Look on a map, it's fairly remote, wild country.

And if your dog was a malamute, then yeah I'd put orange on it if I were anywhere near public land. I don't agree with Bambi at all, they're pretty similar looking animals, especially in any sort of low visibility.

It was 400 yards from the campground, according to Rob Chaney.

Yep, the bustling metropolis of Lee Creek campground. I could go up there tomorrow, shoot a deer in that campground and gut it on a picnic table and no one would ever know or care. Comparing it to the outskirts of Helena is ridiculous, look at a map.

"The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art." - James Swan

"The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art." - James Swan

Don't know what you were smoking to bring that up, but bring it to deer camp next year. :D

Last edited:

"The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything."
-Theodore Roosevelt

I don't think it's proper to throw another hunter under the bus for what in all indications was an honest and believable mistake. It's a horribly unfortunate situation, but all the facts point towards the dog owner making much worse decisions leading up to the accident.

I'm sure the shooter feels like shit, but it sure looks like he was well within his right to shoot what he thought was a wolf in that spot, and the law enforcement has agreed so far.

Back