Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Water dog pup - Montana

Ha! At my request, that book along with "How to Help Gun Dogs Train themselves" by Joan Bailey were by birthday presents last month from my wife and kiddos!

Speaking of ugly and PP, a couple of breeders have told me that coat length/wiry-ness is one thing they can't really predict all that much for a breeding. Kinda surprised me considering the strict rules the Pudelpointer Breeding Association has for breeding. I was hoping for drahthaar or GWP or WPG, but the wife chose PP. I'm not gonna buck that horse too much as I'll end up with a happy house dog. ;)

Ha! At my request, that book along with "How to Help Gun Dogs Train themselves" by Joan Bailey were by birthday presents last month from my wife and kiddos!

Speaking of ugly and PP, a couple of breeders have told me that coat length/wiry-ness is one thing they can't really predict all that much for a breeding. Kinda surprised me considering the strict rules the Pudelpointer Breeding Association has for breeding. I was hoping for drahthaar or GWP or WPG, but the wife chose PP. I'm not gonna buck that horse too much as I'll end up with a happy house dog. ;)

Good choice. I have Joan Bailey's book also, I used it for training my lab. I think you'll be happy with your wife's choice :)

She is coming along nicely. My son is doing a great job training her. Will be hunting soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Our pup is now about 8 months old and is coming along pretty well. She loves to hunt, loves hanging with the family and is an all along great dog so far.

Attachments

• novaduckhunt15.jpg
    novaduckhunt15.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 124
Congrats on the new pup. Good luck and lets see pics when you get the dog.

image.jpgHere she is now. About 1 1/2 years. Looking forward to the upcoming bird seasons.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was an old thread, oops.

Thoughts from a guy that shot the first buck that walked by last year just so he could go back to hunting birds:

1. I have 2 labs, color choice is a preference and means nothing about temperment and trainability. I breed, but don't currently have a litter.
2. The only fault I really have with Golden Retrievers is the long hair collects burrs, etc, and doesn't shed water as well as a lab's short coat.
3. Chessie's are incredible dogs. Known for fierce loyatly to an owner (I value this more than I should I guess) they can do well in a family environment, but outside of that can be tricky. They also have a higher price tag, not bred as much which means you have to look hard at a new puppy.
4. I have plans to get a GSP sometime, but use it only for upland. Labs can do double duty to a point, but cant point well.
5. I encourage you to view your dog as a companion hunter. Mine have no problems being out at Freezeout or Red Rocks, or wherever and I keep them indoors, with healthy doses of outside time.
6. Training starts the minute you bring your pup home. More could be said on that, but don't skirt it.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back