PEAX Equipment

Young Bird Dog (hopefully)

GoGriz

So the kids were finally at an age where they are mainly self sufficient (8 and 5). I had been researching and learning as much as I could about breeders and breeds. I talked the wife into a golden retriever from a hunting background. We were on the list for the first female from a litter that would be ready to take home in February/ March, but we got the call in mid December that the litter had no surviving females. The breeder called a few days later and said that someone had backed out of a female from another breeder that fit the bill, but we had to decide ASAP if we wanted the dog. I talked to the wife and gave the thumbs up. I drove six hours each way a week later and brought the kids a “Christmas” dog on 12/23. Meet “Winnie”

IMG_0869.jpeg

So fast forward two months and I have been reading every dog training book I can that is related to bird hunting and how to not mess up a dog who has great hunting intuition. Two questions for all of you have done this before:

1) can the dog turn into a waterfowl and grouse dog in-spite of my kids treating the like a normal “dog” (teaching her bad behaviors, having her retrieve without “proper” commands, etc. and with a guy training her who is winging it?
2) is this fall to early to have her chasing ducks and grouse even if it is still early and she might not perform like a seasoned dog?

We all love this dog and her temperament is a 10 out of a 10 - I think the dog is easily smarter than me.

Recent photo IMG_1668.jpegIMG_1703.jpeg

Yes, a dog can be a good bird dog under those circumstances. They know when it's time to play and when it's time to work.

This fall would not be too early provided you've laid the proper foundation: basic commands, introduction to gunfire, introduction to game and that you accept that the dog will make mistakes. Let the wild birds (grouse) teach the dog as much as possible even if it means not shooting birds that weren't worked properly.

Dog years go too fast. The faster they get in the field, provided they're prepared, the better.

Nice pup!

Yes, as long as you're consistent and very regular with training. She'll teach the kids to use the commands. Seen it happen. Don't let the kids play tug of war. I started both my dogs at six months on ptarmigan. At 8 months they were pointing roosters and chukar. They made mistakes but they are so good now!
Congratulations, you're going to have a great time. If you don't have a sling on your shotgun, you'll use it a lot getting her to work right.

Thanks for the words of confidence! I am going to put in the time to train her and see what happens. Worst case I have an amazing family dog, best case I get that plus a partner in the field. My 8 year old has a goal of the dog retrieving a goose for us this fall, so hopefully we can get to that point. I’ll update this thread with progress as we work towards fall, and hopefully we’ll have some success to share in the woods/ blinds.

No idea if this is a global dog thing, but here goes.

Ist Vizsla we rescued was surrendered by an owner who was too old to exercise Fred properly. During daily off leash walks in the desert we could see he was birdy. One day he jumped straight up and caught a meadowlark out of the air. Which was him telling me he was going on my annual Kansas bird hunt. I thought I had him obedience trained, but when he got after a jackrabbit he about left the county, despite electronic training deterrents. The good news was, he watched 2 very well trained GSPs we hunted with and quickly grasped the fundamentals of pointing and retrieving pheasants. I have to think it was in his DNA, and the GSPs showed him the ropes. RIP Fred, good boy.

Fred retrieve.JPG

Last edited:
Great looking pup!

I had very similar scenario 3 years ago...pup opportunity fell out of the sky in April and I picked up our lab after a 10hr round trip drive on zero notice. My first gun dog, 90% family dog, unexpectedly training her myself, etc. etc.

We trained and she hunted the first fall and flushed and retrieved her first rooster at 10 months old. So, yes, you've got time and you'll hunt together this fall!

Kids and pup should have fun, but the more consistent you (all) can be, the better behaved your dog will likely be. Involve the kids in your training when you can, and have your whole family be consistent with rules / commands etc. Supposedly helps to establish pack order and leadership (seemed to work for us)...you, your spouse, kids...THEN the dog. My $0.02 and I'm a novice so YMMV but it's been successful for us.

For training, I used a Youtube video series from Standing Stone Kennels, it was great. They've now put it behind a pay wall for about $500, but its probably worth it. Also could try Upland Institute, I think they have something similar.

I didn't do force fetch, so our retrieves aren't perfect, but we mostly hunt upland, and now I've got a serviceable flushing labrador that hunts all day, is ecollar conditioned, knows hand signals and whistle commands, retrieves birds (mostly to hand) and is an absolute joy in the house.

Good luck and have fun, it's a incredibly rewarding journey!

Dogs can be pets and hunters. It really helps if you can be its person, tho. First nine months I just let them be puppies and learn all the basics at an easy pace. The only thing critical is don't scare them. You stand a chance of making a dog, that would not have been, gun shy if you catch it at the wrong time that early.

Many people rush training because they're anxious. If you're confident in the breeding there's no need to be. Also, you're not going to cull that pup regardless. The pup will learn readily when it has matured enough and slowly to not at all before.

Your fall will be training, not so much hunting. Those are different. Training is more fun.

If you're going to use an e collar down the road buy one now. Anytime you're going to do bird work put the collar on. Leave the transmitter at home until the pup is older and ready to start getting serious but you want the pup to know when you grab that collar he's going to do fun bird stuff. Use that collar as the " on/off" switch. My gsp is 3 now and she fetches sticks all the time. Loves them sticks. When that collar goes on though she don't mess with them too much. She may try now and then if she finds one she just has to have but a quick vibrate or page on the collar and she drops it and is hunting birds. When I grab that collar she's begging to get going lol.

Where are you located in Montana? There are retriever clubs in several areas of the state. With a retriever club you get good access to training with ducks and help from experienced trainers that can prevent bad habits from starting. Goldens are popular, there a 3 goldens in our training group in Ronan and 3 in our training group up in Alaska

My lab I stared hunting at 7 months old as that’s when seaosn stared. That first year he had about 100 retrieves. Bird make a bird dog

I agree with everything stated so far. In my personal experience, with two shorthairs, my dogs looked to me for leadership/guidance. That's because I am consistent with that leadership and guidance. My wife and two boys, not so much. So yes, you'll end up with a great dog both in the field and at home.

And also, birds make a bird dog. It sucks buying them, but it is what it is. And, join a club. Best f$cking thing I did.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back