Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Non-typical Waterfowl Dogs

That can't be true because two of them have other bird dogs and they're great.

Lab lovers have their heads in the sand so deep as to be laughable. There are good labs out there, but not nearly as many as lab owners would lead a person to believe.
That's a pretty broad brush. But possibly accurate. It's just interesting to me bc I've had exactly the opposite experience...all the labs I've known well (it's only been 5 or so) were without exception extremely good and well-mannered in house, camp, pirouge, or blind, and loved to hunt. I can say that paddling a pirouge over deep cold water while a dog lies in the bottom of the tippiest boat ever invented will give you great appreciation for a steady dog!

Closer to the OP topic, I wish I'd have the opportunity to get to know more of the versatile dogs breeds like WPG or GWP mentioned above....just never been around any myself.

That can't be true because two of them have other bird dogs and they're great.

Lab lovers have their heads in the sand so deep as to be laughable. There are good labs out there, but not nearly as many as lab owners would lead a person to believe.
How many GSP or English setter seeing eye dogs do you see? Zero. All Labs. What breed is overwhelmingly used in airports to search for drugs and money? Labrador retreiver. There's a reason for it. They are smart, calm, sociable, easy to train, reliable, and dedicated. Those two guys don't know what they're doing or probably just don't have the time or inclination to train the dogs properly. Or they just stuff those Labs in a kennel 24/7. Or they don't have the balls to discipline their dogs. Most Labs are pretty much ready to go right out of the chute. Most but not all. My Ellie is a fabulous upland dog. She works very close, is a helluva pointer, and almost never loses a downed bird even in impenetrable jungle. But it was a long road before she reached that point. Most trainers probably would have given up. Yet, even though it took some time (and, most importantly, working solo), she was always a pleasure to be around. Ellie has always died to please, but she is also an extremely "happy" dog with a lot of energy, especially for a Lab. It was a challenge funneling that energy in the right direction but it was worth it. Ellie does have shortcomings. She still won't pick up a goose off the field. Well, very rarely retreives them. If a honker falls on water she'll bring it in to shore but that's it. Ducks come to hand field or water. Uplands always to hand. I suppose I could have fixed that with force fetch. But why bother? Back when she was young I had a second Lab who did that work. Anyway, most guys don't use a dog when field hunting geese. Not needed. She has also chewed off the seat belts in my Jimmy several times. I can now replace them blindfolded. Darn dog gets too wound up when we're getting ready to hunt. I just need to make sure the barrier is in place properly. Yeah, I have laid into her about it but seems that unlimited energy can still get the best of her, even at age seven. She is the most "wound up" of the seven Labs I've owned, but also the hardest working ... and hardest loving. If she'd never amounted to anything as a hunting dog, I'd never get rid of her. It's too much fun being loved so much.20211220_152350.jpg

Good lord. Different people like different things.

Labs are great dogs for some, not all. OP wants something else.
If he wants to hunt waterfowl from a blind in cold weather, his choices are limited. Small dogs get too cold. Setters and pointers are also not built for it. They also usually have a hard time sitting still very long. GWP, griffons, etc. might have enough hair for the job but they also typically want to be on the move. Maybe better for jump shooting. I would say his choices are Lab, Chesapeake, and golden. Some other waterfowl breeds might work but I think it could be dicey finding the right breeder and bloodline. Not enough out there. These would be Nova Scotia duck tolling retreiver (not a big dog, excellent retreivers, and very good natured), Newfoundland retreiver (HUGE dogs, very hard working and loveable but also usually short-lived), and maybe that Italian dog spinola (sp?). I've heard good things about the latter but yet to see one. Exploring something exotic may sound like an adventure, but OP better be prepared to gamble and lose. As I know too well, if a dog doesn't work out, it's hard to start over and get another one, especially if a family is involved. I say save the exploring for hunting spots. Pick a known breed with the greatest potential to fit his needs and least potential risk of failure.

I have had real good luck with my GWP’s in a blind. Just comes down to training and follow through in discipline. They do very well on the search as well. Also, excellent upland dogs.

@OntarioHunter I don't disagree at all about the versatility of Labs. What's obvious is that @neffa3 had a Lab as a child that didn't love him back. When all the lab owners out there talk about the great hunting and healthy loving relationships we have with our labs, he get's jealous and types up inflammatory comments. I rose and took the bait but shouldn't have. Haters are gonna hate. It's best to just ignore him. He can work through that with his therapist. Speaking of which, I hear Labs are great therapy dogs- @neffa3 you should look into it!

Back to the topic at hand... I was just observing the thread was derailing. There are a lot of non labs that are good waterfowling dogs. I am not a waterfowler, so I'm not really even sure why I'm posting on this thread rather than just reading it. I have been a few times and one of my friends had a GWP kicked ass as a goose getter.

But I'll turn the thread back over to those who have more to contribute than I do!

@OntarioHunter I don't disagree at all about the versatility of Labs. What's obvious is that @neffa3 had a Lab as a child that didn't love him back. When all the lab owners out there talk about the great hunting and healthy loving relationships we have with our labs, he get's jealous and types up inflammatory comments. I rose and took the bait but shouldn't have. Haters are gonna hate. It's best to just ignore him. He can work through that with his therapist. Speaking of which, I hear Labs are great therapy dogs- @neffa3 you should look into it!
^How do you breath with your head that deep in the sand? Do you have to carry a towel around to dry you hands from the constant licking or did you train yourself to walk with you hands above your shoulders?

Add me to the 'not a fan of labs' camp.

Boykins have always been appealing, and Id have a hard look at the breed were I a waterfowl shooter.

Two hours til I can leave this place, and a sketchy 800 mile drive is all that’s keeping me from getting home to the pups and my wife. This thread made me homesick.

Attachments

• D16C4CA0-DDC2-4749-89A9-90DDB0D3E5A3.jpeg
    D16C4CA0-DDC2-4749-89A9-90DDB0D3E5A3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 30AB85FA-161F-4415-AA83-102885CB0A1D.jpeg
    30AB85FA-161F-4415-AA83-102885CB0A1D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 7CB2389E-DFA6-496C-A118-BA5B60DC842C.jpeg
    7CB2389E-DFA6-496C-A118-BA5B60DC842C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • EF1A65D9-EAD8-4556-9A43-E1780F1CE24B.jpeg
    EF1A65D9-EAD8-4556-9A43-E1780F1CE24B.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Pepper is a GSP I adopted at a year old. She spent her first year as a Portland city dog.

She’s self taught duck dog. She’s smart and figures out what we want and her job. Dog will stand next to us shivering at temps in the teens but doesn’t quit.

I’m going to teach her the word Fetch this summer.

Attachments

• E2B57860-1D7D-41C6-AD9D-4B5A3060AC1E.jpeg
    E2B57860-1D7D-41C6-AD9D-4B5A3060AC1E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
  • A6E40116-89B8-4413-B328-08B7C55ABF89.jpeg
    A6E40116-89B8-4413-B328-08B7C55ABF89.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Fortunately the weather is pretty moderate in Portland. I only have one or two hunts a year that I think the cold would be a problem. I've seen Griffons and Pudelpointers out in blinds, and I knew of that one legendary corgi that retrieves ducks.

I really love labs and there's a reason why they are the default option for so many things. The solution of going for a smaller-bodied one has some merit. I'm currently not tied to any breed though so I thought it was worth looking into others that people have had success with. Lots of good options that people have mentioned, I need to go do some more research about some breeds I'm not familiar with.

Fortunately the weather is pretty moderate in Portland. I only have one or two hunts a year that I think the cold would be a problem. I've seen Griffons and Pudelpointers out in blinds, and I knew of that one legendary corgi that retrieves ducks.

I really love labs and there's a reason why they are the default option for so many things. The solution of going for a smaller-bodied one has some merit. I'm currently not tied to any breed though so I thought it was worth looking into others that people have had success with. Lots of good options that people have mentioned, I need to go do some more research about some breeds I'm not familiar with.
Good luck! Since fighting the cold won't be a huge issue, the door is indeed wide open. Small Munsterlander is also a breed to consider. My French Britt is nuts about retreiving ducks from water. Her dad was great waterfowl dog, even big honkers. She weighs about forty pounds. They are great little dogs with lots of personality.20220107_232725.jpg
Don't let your wife see this or the decision will be made.

So…

1671803109209.jpeg

I guess the Labrador Retriever is the most popular family dog in America for years now. I think it’s been for 31 years now. Friendly, lovable, trainable. But………to each his own. I’m not too sure about that head in the sand stuff.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back