This is your property classification and appraisal notice

Kinda crazy, april 27 2023 it appraised through the bank for $294,000. Had to to get it appraised. Was looking to do some home improvements. Jumped $72,000 in 2 months. Or is $294,000 what it is actual worth to the bank. And $366,000 for county tax purposes.
They got you on re-appraisal. Aside from getting re-appraised, California is limited to a 2% increase per year. That is a loophole they started with prop 13 which holds our property taxes to 1%. Now they raise 2% every year if your assessed value is below market value. In my case that's so every year, I currently get assessed about $560,000 for property that is worth about $3,000,000.

That's the kicker, anyone buying into my area today, paying market value will be paying about $30,000-$35,000 per year.

Another change in California that Captain Hairdoo implemented was he reverted Trump's tax inheritance so that the property gets re-assessed if your kids inherit the property and do NOT live in it. If they inherit the property and live in it, then it doesn't get re-assessed. That's another BS loophole law, IMO.

I think it's difficult to weigh and out weigh the plusses and minuses for each state, you have plenty of pluses in Montana. For better or worse I'm kinda stuck here as I'm building my retirement in California as I have had the property for 24 years.

Last edited:
Bonding for infrastructure that counties & muni's would use would have kept property tax increases from being as high as they are at the local levy, and places like Missoula, Bozeman, etc adding tens of thousands of new residents who all need services in their new subdivisions.
Yes, and a study of a few years ago explained that new subdivisions require about $1.70 in county support and services for every $1.00 they generate in county taxes, at least for the first decade or so. That makes a strong case for bonding for infrastructure and for impact fees to relieve current residents of the huge tax increases generated by the rampant growth in Gallatin, Missoula, Flathead and elsewhere.

Costco rot gut again
For someone only once visiting Costco ... you gotta opining big-mouth. We shop Costco frequently and have found high quality foods and other products.
Please confine opinions to that for which you have knowledge and/or experience.

Anyhow ... property taxes are escalating way too quickly, whether or not in close proximity to Costco.

Last edited:
Missoula just had their mayoral primary. The incumbent mayor is gone.

"Current incumbent Mayor Jordan Hess held the seat since his appointment in September 2022 and served Missoula City Council nine years prior. Hess is currently in third place with 3,262 votes.

A total of 20,846 votes were cast.

Voters selected from five candidates in the nonpartisan race:

Brandi Atanasoff
Andrea Davis
Jordan Hess
Shawn Knopp
Mike Nugent
Two out of the five candidates move onto the municipal general election set to take place Nov. 7.

The major issues surrounding this election include the homeless crisis, affordable housing and increases in city budget."

For someone only once visiting Costco ... you gotta opining big-mouth. We shop Costco frequently and have found high quality foods and other products.
Please confine opinions to that for which you have knowledge and/or experience.

Anyhow ... property taxes are escalating way too quickly, whether or not in close proximity to Costco.
Did you get your $675 property tax refund yet?

In 2 years I will be transplanting to greener pastures, just like you did buzz. I hear Wyoming is even more conservative than the root, and looking forward to when that day comes.
Conservative, but with firing brain cells, you won't fit in.

Also, way more moderate than the shit show politics of Montana. Sort of like Montana 25+ years ago before it became infested with the fringe right freaks.

That's the great thing about Montana, it's keeping the fringe right of right whackos confined there.

Last edited:
Missoula just had their mayoral primary. The incumbent mayor is gone.
Hess, the incumbent, was appointed last year after Mayor Engin died in office. Engin had held the position since 2006 and was fairly popular. Hess had never been elected as mayor and this recent primary wasn’t really a referendum on his performance.

You were the one complaining about escalating property taxes. Just making you aware that there is a remedy for that available this year and next.
Not really complaining, but merely opining about the timing and rate of increase.
Most property owners are fully aware of the Governor's political gesture to point to surplus. Incidentally, somethiing which was hatched long before the high increase of property tax appraisals. But thanks for ensuring we are aware of what you erroneously refer to as a "remedy".

Hess, the incumbent, was appointed last year after Mayor Engin died in office. Engin had held the position since 2006 and was fairly popular. Hess had never been elected as mayor and this recent primary wasn’t really a referendum on his performance.
I know Engin was popular, and was fiscally liberal. Hess was on the council for 9 years and was also fiscally liberal. Maybe Missoula residents are looking for new leadership this time around? Their town, their decision.

"The major issues surrounding this election include the homeless crisis, affordable housing and increases in city budget."

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back