This is your property classification and appraisal notice

My check for $675 came in the mail yesterday as well. I suppose a person's tax bill could be less than $675 if they lived in an old single wide on a leased lot.

The plot continues to thicken, like my arteries

The plot continues to thicken, like my arteries

Shouldn't you be worring about Michigan's property tax rates, Ben?

"The Tax Foundation ranked Michigan as having the 13th highest property taxes in 2020 with an effective property tax rate of 1.44 percent of a home’s value (highest was New Jersey at 2.21 percent and lowest was Hawaii at 0.30 percent). "

Last edited:
Shouldn't you be worring about Michigan's property tax rates, Ben?

SB442 is the common thread here.

The states use of property taxes and county levies were at the heart of the disagreement between the governor & legislature.

MT's property tax system is being used as an example of "out of control county & municipal spending," when it's not really the case.

The 95 mills of the state never being adjusted is part of this issue.

As for MI property tax, it's worse if you're in the water. That's why we live in the uplands.

SB442 is the common thread here.

The states use of property taxes and county levies were at the heart of the disagreement between the governor & legislature.

MT's property tax system is being used as an example of "out of control county & municipal spending," when it's not really the case.

The 95 mills of the state never being adjusted is part of this issue.

As for MI property tax, it's worse if you're in the water. That's why we live in the uplands.
Explain how Missoula property taxes are twice as high for the same valuation as Ravalli County? Granted the people in Missoula vote for the out of control spending, so they should quit complaining.

Explain how Missoula property taxes are twice as high for the same valuation as Ravalli County? Granted the people in Missoula vote for the out of control spending, so they should quit complaining.

Because the voters of Missoula have approved other mill levies and the Legislature & the curent governor's budget director have a long history of cutting top tax rates and putting all funding on property owners.

The bonding issues from 2013-2019 are a good example of the shifting taxation issue, IMO. Bonding for infrastructure that counties & muni's would use would have kept property tax increases from being as high as they are at the local levy, and places like Missoula, Bozeman, etc adding tens of thousands of new residents who all need services in their new subdivisions.

But that doesn't account at all for why the state hasn't adjusted their 95 mills.

Montana does have one of the top overall tax climates in the nation. One big reason for the influx.

The 10 best states in this year’s Index are:
Wyoming
South Dakota
Alaska
Florida
Montana
New Hampshire
Nevada
Utah
Indiana
North Carolina

Michigan comes in 12th place. Better than average, but still room for improvement, Ben.

Last edited:

The entire budget is on line-

Missoula’s is probably also. It does take a little more work to compare two counties but can be done.

Politicians just like a sound bite that emotional people relate to.

When you look at the numbers. 75% plus is schools. Then looking solely at local county budgets- nearly 75% of that is roads and law enforcement.

So promised tax reform targeting less than 6% of the tax bill is good but is not going to be very noticeable on the bottom line.

The entire budget is on line-

Missoula’s is probably also. It does take a little more work to compare two counties but can be done.

Politicians just like a sound bite that emotional people relate to.

When you look at the numbers. 75% plus is schools. Then looking solely at local county budgets- nearly 75% of that is roads and law enforcement.

So promised tax reform targeting less than 6% of the tax bill is good but is not going to be very noticeable on the bottom line.
No idea where you keep getting the idea that 75% plus goes to schools. Do you read your tax bill? This is my 2022 bill.
20230906_164302.jpg

My property taxes went down substantially as the first $200k of assessed value is not taxed.
So property taxes on 2.5 acres, 3 bedroom, 2 bath was on $190k of value out of $390k assessment.
State law in Alaska, after age 65 first $150k of property assessed not taxed.
Residents also get a waiver on the first $50k of assessment not taxed.

Total schools-306 mills
Total county -141 mills.
70% of 447 is 312 mills.

Note the 95 mills are not floated, those are 100% of current valuation. The county mills are reduced based on the increase valuations.

58.31% of my tax bill dollars goes towards schools. The rest is county and other. My county is fiscally conservative and our property taxes are reasonable. Missoula is fiscally liberal and their taxes are much higher. Not too complicated. The $675 refund more than offsets the project increase in this year's taxes, so nothing to complain about here.

58.31% of my tax bill dollars goes towards schools. The rest is county and other. My county is fiscally conservative and our property taxes are reasonable. Missoula is fiscally liberal and their taxes are much higher. Not too complicated. The $675 refund more than offsets the project increase in this year's taxes, so nothing to complain about here.
Missoula needs to set up toll roads at buchkhouse bridge for everyone with a 13 license plate. A city tax on income for every 'rooter that drives into Missoula for work everyday as well.

You know, level the playing field and make the 'rooters pay for the Missoula infrastructure they use.

Missoula needs to set up toll roads at buchkhouse bridge for everyone with a 13 license plate. A city tax on income for every 'rooter that drives into Missoula for work everyday as well.

You know, level the playing field and make the 'rooters pay for the Missoula infrastructure they use.
Oh, and a 5% nuisance tax because 'rooters drive like total ass, on average. Ran into some idiot a couple weeks ago in Yellowstone while I was working, driving like total chit. I was so shocked to see a 13 Montana plate when we passed. Shocked I tell you!

Oh, and a 5% nuisance tax because 'rooters drive like total ass, on average. Ran into some idiot a couple weeks ago in Yellowstone while I was working, driving like total chit. I was so shocked to see a 13 Montana plate when we passed. Shocked I tell you!
Bet it was a transplant. Rooters ain't the majority here anymore Buzz. It's a whole new world. mtmuley

Bet it was a transplant. Rooters ain't the majority here anymore Buzz. It's a whole new world. mtmuley
I dont know, my late uncle was born in Stevi, lived on middle burnt fork there his whole life. He either drove 45 or 95 on his way to Missoula. In, of all things, a rambler station wagon.

I go over Skalkaho or through Wisdom when heading east. Missoula can KMA.😘

Back