This is your property classification and appraisal notice

Everyone loves the appreciation of their house as an asset until the tax man comes around.
Sure...value goes up 100%+, sell and spend all the profit on inflated land, inflated housing or building costs

I'll take lower value , lower taxes, and less hysterical land grabbing.
Taking the money and run doesn't work unless you move to some God forsaken hell-hole which would be just about anywhere else😁

Sure...value goes up 100%+, sell and spend all the profit on inflated land, inflated housing or building costs

Taking the money and run doesn't work unless you move to some God forsaken hell-hole which would be just about anywhere else😁
Man what I could buy in Shelby if I sold out here in the Root. Not a bad place either. mtmuley

I made it to page 13, then skipped here so sorry if I missed the answer to my question.

Just curious if anyone knows why the income tax rebates were just sent out but the property tax rebates require you to apply?

Also curious how it went for anyone that decided to contest.

Last edited:
I made it to page 13, then skipped here so sorry if I missed the answer to my question.

Just curious if anyone knows why the income tax rebates were just sent out but the property tax rebates require you to go online to apply?

Also curious how it went for anyone that decided to contest.
You don't have to go online, you can request the form be mailed to you. Online is faster and fairly simple. The extra steps are there to help eliminate part timers with multiple residences and scammers from getting a rebate.

My estimated 2023 taxes are up $280 from 2022, approximately 12%. The rebate is $675, which more than offsets the higher rate. Of course I live in Ravalli county, where all bond initiatives go down in flames. Sky is not falling, unless you are a business owner in Missoula, Flathead, or Gallatin County. I do feel sorry for those folks.

You don't have to go online, you can request the form be mailed to you. Online is faster and fairly simple. The extra steps are there to help eliminate part timers with multiple residences and scammers from getting a rebate.

Got it, edited, my question was more geared towards why one has to apply for one and not the other? I think you answered it in that there is no easy way for them to verify the two 7 months requirements?

Also curious why property taxes aren’t just reduced? For instance ours can go up ~$800 / ~40%, presuming we get this $675 rebate that will be an net out of pocket increase of $125, so why not just increase our taxes $125?

Further, this rebate is for two years, so by then there will be another assessment and if they go up again it’s only going to hurt worse.

Lastly, we have a mortgage with escrow so regardless our monthly payment is likely to go up if taxes end up going up that much?

Make it make sense.

Property taxes are a convoluted mess at best. I heard one of our legislators who was attempting to make it simpler and fairer, discuss this the other day and they could not get a consensus. So we got what we got. Next session maybe they can do better?

Property taxes are a convoluted mess at best. I heard one of our legislators who was attempting to make it simpler and fairer, discuss this the other day and they could not get a consensus. So we got what we got. Next session maybe they can do better?

I just want to be fairly taxed. I understand that fair is relative from the taxpayer to the tax collectors.

75+ percent of property tax funds schools.
The remaining 25% is split between state and county services.
Of the 12% county revenue, the largest budgets are public safety and road and bridge probably close to 9% of the 12%.

Just a little perspective for some that might not know the details of property taxes.

Thanks for keeping this bumped up. It helped me remember to call the appraisal district and work on getting my property in Colorado changed to agriculture use classification. I have been working with the FSA to try to get a conservation plan in place and maybe some cost sharing on habitat improvement so it was a simple matter or emailing them my acreage certification from the FSA to them. Should save me a couple thousand bucks hopefully, maybe a little more.

Still working on getting my property here that I complained about having the 324% increase fixed. Can't argue with the appraised value really as there are 10 acre lots selling for more per acre than they assessed it at but still working with FSA to get that piece agriculture use certified as well. Having a harder time with the local FSA office than I did with the one in Colorado though.

75+ percent of property tax funds schools.
The remaining 25% is split between state and county services.
Of the 12% county revenue, the largest budgets are public safety and road and bridge probably close to 9% of the 12%.

Just a little perspective for some that might not know the details of property taxes.
Depends on where you live... ours is about 45% for schools, the rest pays for fire/PD, parks and rec, street maint, etc. Much of the property in AK is untaxed (outside of municipalities) so the "State" funds schools and everything else that property taxes would normally cover.

I just want to be fairly taxed. I understand that fair is relative from the taxpayer to the tax collectors.
That’s what the whole revaluation process is supposed to do - determine the fair market value of every property in the jurisdiction so the tax burden is “fairly” distributed based on accurate valuations. It’s not about raising or lowering anyone’s taxes. Increasing or decreasing overall tax revenues for the jurisdiction to cover their budget is done through setting the millage rate to achieve that after the revaluation is complete.

Right on the heels of the spiking tax bill comes the spiking insurance bill. Our tax and insurance is now higher than my house payment has ever been in my life. The wife and I were discussing just where that hell-hole might be.

Right on the heels of the spiking tax bill comes the spiking insurance bill. Our tax and insurance is now higher than my house payment has ever been in my life. The wife and I were discussing just where that hell-hole might be.
Ugh this is what I was afraid of. I don't make much money and was really hoping to quit my job after I pay my house off and do something more fun (that pays even less). Looks like that ain't happening.

I checked with local assessor-
The county assesses 105 mills down from the number last year but that number creates more revenue since a mills value rose $9k per mill.
State education equalization is 95 mills plus an additional 6 mills for university. 101 mills- which increased state education income by $909000.
Then local elementary district assesses 200 mills( though the $ raised per mill is not the same as a county wide mill)
And I have not found how many high school district mills are imposed but predictably another 200 more mills.
So 105 local government
101 state equalization and university
200 elementary
200 high school
The local mills do not include the additional special mill levies imposed to cover voted school bond projects.

I applied for the property tax rebate the day it opened and just got my check. Should just endorse it and give it right back to the state, it's gonna end up there anyway with my next tax bill!

Still waiting to see what idahos convoluted property tax relief bill passed this year will actually do just in time for the state school superintendent to submit next years budget request for more money. I’d also bet my appraisal will go up again next year and my tax will stay about the same despite the fact tons of homes are being added in the county each year which should be helping expand the tax base and level off peoples payments

Also....I was amused that it was a max of $675, depending on what you paid for taxes. I'd be surprised if anyone in Montana pays less than that.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back