Caribou Gear Tarp

Where did this doe come from?

Pretty sure it's to
Pretty sure it's trying to help disperse some pressure.
Do that by turning off the general doe tags across the board and make it all draw for mule deer does. It's worked in the past. This preference for landowners is bullshit. It's taken over elk hunting and now deer hunting too? Wait and see what comes down the pipe next year and the year after, etc.

Do that by turning off the general doe tags across the board and make it all draw for mule deer does. It's worked in the past. This preference for landowners is bullshit. It's taken over elk hunting and now deer hunting too? Wait and see what comes down the pipe next year and the year after, etc.
👍 I think your a little late to the meeting.

I believe it’s because we’ve piss pounded the public so bad that private land is the only place they stand a chance at any sort of safety.
So that's where they should be hunted exclusively? Where's the logic in that?

The intent is indeed quite easy to follow: FWP wants to appear to be doing something effective without actually being effective. And without pissing off those Republican eastern Montana ranchers. Let them run their own little kingdoms. Come on. Open your eyes.
Open my eyes? You mean let ranchers allow hunting of does on their property if they think there are too many? They can also say no.

Open my eyes? You mean let ranchers allow hunting of does on their property if they think there are too many? They can also say no.
So now we're letting every rancher decide game management for animals that are entirely free roaming AND public property? Why? Because they've done such a great job managing elk, right?

So now we're letting every rancher decide game management for animals that are entirely free roaming AND public property? Why? Because they've done such a great job managing elk, right?
Itd be easier to do no does in R6 and R7 - i guess.

But this is as straightforward as it gets.

As a landowner in R6 I fully support this proposal as a start. I would rather see doe tags done away with altogether (at least until we have some sort of recovery) but will take what we can get for now. For what it is worth, there will be no does harmed on our place.

As a landowner in R6 I fully support this proposal as a start. I would rather see doe tags done away with altogether (at least until we have some sort of recovery) but will take what we can get for now. For what it is worth, there will be no does harmed on our place.
Thank you.

I know region 7 staff didn’t support this I don’t know about region 6. I don’t have a problem with doe tags being valid for private where landowners that feel they have too many deer can put some pressure on them. Seems like a win win for the public land hunter and a struggling mule deer population. Im not sure how effective it’s going to be but it should help the larger blocks of public. Hopefully some of the bma’s will put restrictions on doe harvest as well. Good for the commission for trying this.

I don't think they are allowed to create harvest rules that are different from the regs as part of their BMA contracts.
I think they talked about that at the commission meeting. The private land in BMA could limit doe harvest but doesn’t have to. The public lands within it is what it is which is no doe harvest.

I know region 7 staff didn’t support this I don’t know about region 6. I don’t have a problem with doe tags being valid for private where landowners that feel they have too many deer can put some pressure on them. Seems like a win win for the public land hunter and a struggling mule deer population. Im not sure how effective it’s going to be but it should help the larger blocks of public. Hopefully some of the bma’s will put restrictions on doe harvest as well. Good for the commission for trying this.
Any step in the right direction these days is a win regardless how small. Your turf or mine.

I don't think they are allowed to create harvest rules that are different from the regs as part of their BMA contracts.
Either way mtfwp would have to be crazy if they didn’t let landowners enroll there block management if they didn’t want doe harvest on their private. These are the landowners that are either good ole boys or they could care less about wildlife.

I know that they can limit which species are harvested, but I wasn’t aware that they could also limit based on sex. For each species they limit I know they lose a certain amount of money they are eligible to receive. At least that’s how it worked before they increased it to $50k in the last session.

Reactions: DFS
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back