New Mystery Ranch Packs

Billy Madison what do you think?

"Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really! Stop looking at me, Swan!"

No, Mystery Ranch packs vs Stone Glacier? Which is best?

O'Doyle: The Metcalf by Mystery Ranch is the best pack ever.
Billy Madison: I disagree. Mystery Ranch is a very good pack but I think Stone Glacier is the best pack ever.
O'Doyle: Stone Glacier sucks!
Billy Madison: You know something? You suck!

Best

Billy Madison what do you think?

"Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really! Stop looking at me, Swan!"

No, Mystery Ranch packs vs Stone Glacier? Which is best?

O'Doyle: The Metcalf by Mystery Ranch is the best pack ever.
Billy Madison: I disagree. Mystery Ranch is a very good pack but I think Stone Glacier is the best pack ever.
O'Doyle: Stone Glacier sucks!
Billy Madison: You know something? You suck!

LMAO! Awesome:)

I'm actually going to go back to a fanny pack.....I remember in my early days of hunting, I could make it all day with a knife, a snickers, and a bottle of water:)........didn't ever have to pack out much.....our dumbasses drug everything we shot back then.

I can tell you this, if you like you MR shoulder straps, you will not like the SG ones under heavy loads...
That's odd, 'cause I like them both.

It is possible to be so obviously biased that credibility is eroded. Not for lack of knowledge per se, but a misguided PR game plan.

I'm actually going to go back to a fanny pack.....I remember in my early days of hunting, I could make it all day with a knife, a snickers, and a bottle of water:)........didn't ever have to pack out much.....our dumbasses drug everything we shot back then.

Ditto. My dad likes to get elk out whole so much he even made a beefy ass game cart that puts anything on the market to shame. And I used to shoot a lot more animals when it was just simple. Maybe I need to go back to a fanny pack. Or maybe I just suck. Elk were everywhere I made the choice not to walk last year and if I walked where I saw them they ended up where I was at a half hour earlier. haha.

For those guys interested in the "old style" MR Metcalf, I have a brand new (never used) one for sale. Purchased at MR in Bozeman a few months ago. Foliage. $175 to your door. Send a PM if you are interested.

For what its worth, I like both packs as well. I find the MR waistbelt rides much more comfortably for me, while the SG feels better on my shoulders. I don't think that the lighter SG sacrifices anything when it comes to heavier loads either, it felt comfortable to me at the heaviest loads I'll ever carry.

If they both had awful customer service and I wanted one pack to last me forever, I'd get an MR because I do believe they are built with more durability. That being said both companies are great to work with so you can't go wrong with either one. I have both and will likely keep both, at least until I find that one vastly out performs the other, which will likely never happen.

I have to say I am not that impressed with the new metcalf. I just weighed mine and the bag, nice frame, and daypack lid (w/shoulder straps removed) weighs 7 pounds on the nose.

Still interested to see what the marshall is going to look like.

Ditto. My dad likes to get elk out whole so much he even made a beefy ass game cart that puts anything on the market to shame. And I used to shoot a lot more animals when it was just simple. Maybe I need to go back to a fanny pack. Or maybe I just suck. Elk were everywhere I made the choice not to walk last year and if I walked where I saw them they ended up where I was at a half hour earlier. haha.

After all this talk about fanny packs, guess what I did? I picked up a Tenzing TZ 720 on camofire for 45 bucks. In reality, this is all you need for quick outings away from camp. Travel light on your feet and haul out a quarter over your shoulder. Then bring the big pack with for the rest of the hauling.

I'm having a hard time not pre-ordering one of these, knowing I could have it in time for my Nevada Rubies deer hunt.

Damn, I went ahead and ordered one.....:eek:

So, does anyone know of anyplace in the midwest where I can try these packs on to see what I like best? It seems as though a lot of these companies you guys are talking about are located in MT. I'm new to western hunting (will be making my first trip in Sept.) and want to make a lifelong passion out of it. After looking through all of these forum threads on HT it looks like my next big purchase will be a frame pack. I work in Indianapolis but would be willing to drive to OH, MI, IL, KY, during regular family outings to try these on. Any help would be great.

I am going to take a long hard look at these packs because I am really frustrated with the multitude of packs that I've used over the years.

I don't see any reason to upgrade to a newer Metcalf. The original one I have works just fine! This guy rode just fine on the packout this past weekend... :D :hump:

2014%2520Bear%2520Hunt%2520069.JPG

90# is just to make the point of how much 2lbs really is when you are loaded down, it is an absurd number, but just to point out that you really will not notice that extra weight. IF you give up comfort to get it. Yeah, I have used one, used my buddies on a biv-hunt last year...his pack did start lighter than my Metcalf. 58# and 60#, his was a bit lighter, but the lighter straps slipped once in awhile...and personally I didn't like the thinner and lighter shoulder straps. Again, lighter, thinner straps, and buckles, and fabric to get this weight...bothers me, it is not an anti-SG thing. Kurt knows his stuff.
Now it is all personal preference, you are right.

I personally didn't like it and as I stated, a few other light weight ones I got to test. I have had other packs blow out too...so I personally won't give up the toughness to get light weight. This is not just with SG, it could be with the new MR light weight one...and no the New Metcalf is not it. :)
I may just keep rocking the Metcalf.
Again, all preference...but, if guys that like MR's want a light weight pack...they are working on one...that is truly light..not 7# like the Metcalf! :)

And by the way, 90 lbs???? I'm assuming you just pulled that number out of your arse;) I don't think I've ever seen you kill anything that would have 90 lbs of meat.........:hump: lol
Maybe you should come pack out my moose this fall and we will have a test, we will see just how 90 lbs will feel in a backpack.

Man, MR must be throwing some good kickbacks out these days ........I'd go switch back to MR if I didn't like my SG so much:)

And just one question for you just since I can see you have studied the packs with your detail of explanation...........have you actually ever packed anything in a SG pack? With all the pictures you have posted over the last couple years, I've actually never seen you with a SG on, that I recall.

And for the record, I believe MR makes great packs...Still have mine, its a super nice decoration in my closet now:).......I just personally like the SG better. Every pack will fit people different but anyone that is actually in bozeman to try a MR, would be foolish to not also go to Schnees to try on the Stone Glacier.

I say to anyone, try them out, go with what feels best.

Seems like alot of guys are looking at the SGs. Have any of you guys tried out the Kuiu Icons?

I bought one of the first ICONs in 2011.

One trip and that was it- frame squeaked bad, straps loosened as you hiked. Anything over about 40lbs and you realized what a heavier pack does well.

Ditched it and went back to my old MR6500. Loved the concept but I felt like the product wasn't ready for prime time yet. A couple sets of upgrades and a couple redesigns later and I haven't had the courage to guinea pig again.

Again, lighter, thinner straps, and buckles, and fabric to get this weight...bothers me, it is not an anti-SG thing. Kurt knows his stuff.

I personally didn't like it and as I stated, a few other light weight ones I got to test. I have had other packs blow out too...so I personally won't give up the toughness to get light weight. This is not just with SG, it could be with the new MR light weight one...and no the New Metcalf is not it. :)
I may just keep rocking the Metcalf.
Again, all preference...but, if guys that like MR's want a light weight pack...they are working on one...that is truly light..not 7# like the Metcalf! :)

Just one note you might put in your bank......Your comment on lighter, thinner straps, and fabric to get this weight bothers you.....Just curious where you got that.. The majority of the stone glacier pack is made up of the exact same cordura 500 material that MR uses. A portion of the SG pack is made up of Xpac material which actually has a higher tear resistance than cordura.......So, I'm curious, what is it that bothers you about same and tougher material?

I've packed a lot of heavy loads, in both packs, and the only time I've ever had a buckle break AND A STRAP break was on my MR crew cab. Fell with an full load of elk meat over a downfall and the strap caught a limb. Snapped the strap on the side of the crew cab. Just had it repaired a couple months ago actually....

Just saying, as far as the pack materials go, just because one pack is lighter weight doesn't mean they are giving up strength....

I have both packs and intend on keeping both. But the MR is a backup pack just in case someone steals my Stone Glacier pack:)

And here this whole time you were posting all this stuff about how awesome this new pack is and its the greatest thing since sliced bread but now its maybe not as good as you thought because its lighter...........I guess I'm lost on where you were going with all this. I'm not trying to create argument here by the way, MR is known for making top quality packs, have used them for years and am betting this new pack they have is a great one. I just am pointing out that your comment of going to a lighter weight pack is sacrificing strength is not the case.

Both companies have great packs, so I don't think anyone can go wrong either way......My only hope is at least the Montana guys use one or the other to support the local pack makers.

Speaking of packs, I missed my hike today so I better throw on a pack and hit the hills for some exercise. I'm not really sure I like the idea of packing a full Alaska Moose quarter on any pack but hoping to find out in about a month and a half just how bad it sucks:)........

Matt, guys asked about the new MR packs, I was just telling them to wait for the new stuff..if they had one they currently used that got the job done..I never said it was the end all...you took issue to my SG comments but had no issue with the EXO pack comments...I was making a point. Look at all of your straps on your SG. They are all thinner, and lighter buckles, I have used them. You also only used the Crew cab which has no elevated load lifters, so yeah, you SG shoulder straps probably do ride better...it has elevated load lifters...the CC was decided first for military load hauling, to haul everything under the sun. It is decent at all that, but not a great all day heavy load pack. Plus, did you use it with the load lift kit on it..bet not, same for Bart. Night and day difference, yeah, it still weighs a ton. :) Sorry if I offended you on the comparisons, but to be fair, I said the same about the exo pack.
I get that you are not trying to start an argument, but guys were asking about MR that are not even made for hunting, I told them to wait.
and on a lighter note, I got to pack out a moose in My pack...hind quarters in any pack suck...so good luck! :)

you took issue to my SG comments but had no issue with the EXO pack comments :)

I cant speak for EXO packs because I haven't used one.....I don't make comparisons or calls on items I haven't used extensively. Hence the reason for not bringing them in the mix.

Now..........back to more important crap, trying to get a ticket booked to Alaska;)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back