Yeti GOBOX Collection

New Mystery Ranch Packs

I have the 2012 ICON, not the ultra, and mostly run the 1850 as a day pack. The set-up is awesome for day hunting and light packing. But, I put a 50lb bag of sand on the load shelf to train with it and it because miserably uncomfortable.

I'm not sure if it was due to the high density of weight of the sand, or that it hit a point where more than 35lbs (my previous max in the pack) just causes different stresses on the pack. I guess I should play around with it a bit more and see if I can determine if it is a weight issue alone or how it was packed. But, as it stands now, I am glad I haven't had to put an elk quarter in it yet.

Ya I have to say I was not to impressed with the new metcalf specs (mainly weight). Ill be going to SG as soon as my neglected and unused MR pack is sold.

I can tell you this, if you like you MR shoulder straps, you will not like the SG ones under heavy loads..they are not as heavy duty...you do sacrifice by going to the lighter packs...and for the first person that can tell me they can tell the difference of 2.5lbs when loaded up with 90LBS of meat! Well, you will, when you have a real frame, waist belt, and shoulder straps that help carry it better. I will be running a new Metcalf this fall for that reason, but for all of you light weight pack guys, the new pack from MR has a real frame, not two vertical carbon rods and two horizontal rods that are not connected and can still flex and move under heavier loads. I can't give you too many details, because it is still in proto stages...that maybe tweaked.

Put in an order for the Metcalf 2 yesterday. I'd have to agree with BBH. I can gain/shed 2 pounds depending on my latest trip behind the bushes. Not gonna notice it, esp full of meat.

Late fall, and 3000ish :) No more for now! :)

I was trying to stay around the 2000-2500 size anyway... may just stick with the dragon slayer---

Can anyone tell me the difference in the Mystery Ranch Frame Systems... they have a lot of names listed, but I cant find any place to compare what they are...

I.e the Dragon slayer with the X Frame system and the Snap dragon with the futura sytem... ( both same size packs.)

Or the NICE system vs X frame system.

The Nice frame is a real frame, by this I mean...it is solid vertical and horizontal stays that can not and do not move while under loads...it is heavier, but you will love it with heavier loads when they can not shift on you like they can with some of the light weight frames. The x-frame is just that, two carbon rods that cross and are not tied together..it can and does flex, the big horn uses something similar...very light, but not comfortable at all with heavy loads. This is my gripe with both exo and SG too...light frames sacrifice at heavier loads...I will carry a little more weight on my back and know I can carry anything I kill on the hill in comfort. Plus, the light weight straps most of the light weight packs use slip under heavy loads....have had this happen first hand...will not name it, but many of you are talking about it..and that was with just over 60LBs in it..not that heavy.

I can tell you this, if you like you MR shoulder straps, you will not like the SG ones under heavy loads..they are not as heavy duty...you do sacrifice by going to the lighter packs...and for the first person that can tell me they can tell the difference of 2.5lbs when loaded up with 90LBS of meat! Well, you will, when you have a real frame, waist belt, and shoulder straps that help carry it better.

Having used both the MR NICE frame (with many bags) and the Stone Glacier extensively, with loads I've weighed at over 100 lbs, my experience is different. While the SG shoulder straps are unquestionably thinner and more lightly constructed, I have found them to be the most comfortable shoulder strap I've used under heavy loads. I do feel the first gen wrap around hip belt on my SG is less comfy than the MR belt. I should try some of Kurt's newer belts one of these days.

Also, my Stone Glacier Solo is a lot more than 2.5 lbs lighter than any of my MR setups ever were. I liked my MR stuff, but design wise and weight/comfort tradeoff wise, SG is much more my speed.

This is my gripe with both exo and SG too...light frames sacrifice at heavier loads...I will carry a little more weight on my back and know I can carry anything I kill on the hill in comfort. Plus, the light weight straps most of the light weight packs use slip under heavy loads....

I've used 5 different packs over the 7 years on these hunts and there isn't one that is perfect or comfortable after hour 6 of a pack out. Last years test with this pack was impressive for me. No strap slippage and while it felt "weird" compared to my MR packs it was very comfortable (hours 1-5) even if it was "flexing" :rolleyes:

dall 2013.jpg

I can tell you this, if you like you MR shoulder straps, you will not like the SG ones under heavy loads..they are not as heavy duty...you do sacrifice by going to the lighter packs...and for the first person that can tell me they can tell the difference of 2.5lbs when loaded up with 90LBS of meat! Well, you will, when you have a real frame, waist belt, and shoulder straps that help carry it better. I will be running a new Metcalf this fall for that reason, but for all of you light weight pack guys, the new pack from MR has a real frame, not two vertical carbon rods and two horizontal rods that are not connected and can still flex and move under heavier loads. I can't give you too many details, because it is still in proto stages...that maybe tweaked.

I take it someone (BBH) is getting a little bonus from MR.........Your first statement is False as false can get. You say if I like the MR straps, I won't like the SG ones. (by the way, no free packs or sponsorships from SG here, so my input is strictly on lots of use of both.) There may be a slight bit of validity that there isn't much difference in weight when you have a heavy load......... I have used both and have had both loaded with as much weight as I could possibly carry. There is no difference for me in my shoulders hurting any more with one versus the other, and I actually am more comfortable in the SG.

Lets face it, 95% of most peoples hunting is without the load, so yes, most people that hike all day long chasing animals will notice the weight difference in a SG and get far more advantage from that than the other 5% of the time. And again, that 5% of the time, I would be willing to bet most guys if they got to test both packs out, would stick with the SG.

And by the way, 90 lbs???? I'm assuming you just pulled that number out of your arse;) I don't think I've ever seen you kill anything that would have 90 lbs of meat.........:hump: lol
Maybe you should come pack out my moose this fall and we will have a test, we will see just how 90 lbs will feel in a backpack.

Man, MR must be throwing some good kickbacks out these days ........I'd go switch back to MR if I didn't like my SG so much:)

And just one question for you just since I can see you have studied the packs with your detail of explanation...........have you actually ever packed anything in a SG pack? With all the pictures you have posted over the last couple years, I've actually never seen you with a SG on, that I recall.

And for the record, I believe MR makes great packs...Still have mine, its a super nice decoration in my closet now:).......I just personally like the SG better. Every pack will fit people different but anyone that is actually in bozeman to try a MR, would be foolish to not also go to Schnees to try on the Stone Glacier.

I say to anyone, try them out, go with what feels best.

Having used both the MR NICE frame (with many bags) and the Stone Glacier extensively, with loads I've weighed at over 100 lbs, my experience is different. While the SG shoulder straps are unquestionably thinner and more lightly constructed, I have found them to be the most comfortable shoulder strap I've used under heavy loads. I do feel the first gen wrap around hip belt on my SG is less comfy than the MR belt. I should try some of Kurt's newer belts one of these days.

Also, my Stone Glacier Solo is a lot more than 2.5 lbs lighter than any of my MR setups ever were. I liked my MR stuff, but design wise and weight/comfort tradeoff wise, SG is much more my speed.

And for those of you who don't know Carl, when it comes to backpacking and camping, I would say you would be pretty hard pressed to find someone with much more experience or knowledge on the subject. Except maybe mtmiller........I think he is backpacking like 350 days a year:)

The New Metcalf Gen 2, loses weight, has a side pocket for some of you wanting an exterior pocket. A bit cleaner from the previous version, there are no internal stays because of the new frame extensions for the Nice frame.
Other than that, there will be a light weight pack in September.

Is this light weight pack you mention the new one that is so top secret?

Billy Madison what do you think?

"Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really! Stop looking at me, Swan!"

No, Mystery Ranch packs vs Stone Glacier? Which is best?

O'Doyle: The Metcalf by Mystery Ranch is the best pack ever.
Billy Madison: I disagree. Mystery Ranch is a very good pack but I think Stone Glacier is the best pack ever.
O'Doyle: Stone Glacier sucks!
Billy Madison: You know something? You suck!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,360
Last edited:
You about made my pee myself at my office desk. Seriously funny.

"Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really! Stop looking at me, Swan!"

Billy Madison: I disagree. Mystery Ranch is a good pack but I think Stone Glacier is the best pack ever.
O'Doyle: Mystery Ranch sucks!

Billy Madison: I disagree. Mystery Ranch is a good pack but I think Stone Glacier is the best pack ever.
O'Doyle: Mystery Ranch sucks!

Great post!!

Back