MT public late hunts going away?

My submitted comments:
Regarding the proposed elk shoulder seasons:

I cannot support the shoulder season because it comes at the expense of the public hunter and it encourages further privatizing of elk. Existing methods such as using the hunt roster or extending the season when weather conditions permit it, while not perfect, should be improved rather than bypassed.

The shoulder season has no provisions to solve the problem of harboring animals, privatizing wildlife, and limited opportunity for the general public. In fact, it bypasses existing incentives for landowners to provide access to the public. It also bypasses the democratic process where late season hunters were chosen by a lottery system. Reduction of the elk population is a SERVICE provided to agricultural interests; it comes at a COST to elk hunters who would prefer more elk. The elk hunters should not have to incur the additional cost of lost opportunity to participate in late hunts in addition to loss of access to private lands.

Furthermore, the season is by definition published in advance, thus inflexible. This creates a problem when severe weather forces the elk into areas where they are visible. Historically an open season when this happens has resulted in unethical behavior that has received worldwide negative attention. It also creates predictable seasons where hunts can be sold at high prices given the long advance notice.

The shoulder season, which can be 7 months long, will chase elk off of areas where public hunting is allowed and onto private lands where hunting is not allowed, or onto lands that are managed for high numbers of elk for the purpose of outfitting. These elk will learn to seek refuge on these lands as soon as the hunting season starts and this behavior will be passed down to following generations. This education cannot be undone.

I do not agree with the proposed objective "Reduce hunter impacts on landowner" because there is nothing in the guidelines that work to achieve this goal other than removing the landowner incentives and requirements to allow public hunting in exchange for the benefit of reduced elk numbers.

If the shoulder season hunt is to occur, the following restrictions should apply and be spelled out clearly.
1) Elk that are not available to hunters (i.e. that are harbored by landowners) should not be included in the elk objective numbers. This is consistent with page 55 of the elk management plan.
2) Hunters should be required to purchase a permit to hunt during this time. This will raise revenue. This revenue should be used for programs to encourage elk to utilize public lands, including buying out ranchers’ leases to graze FWP’s Wildlife Management Areas.
3) This must be an antlerless only hunt restricted to private land. Allowing bull harvest will only encourage continued outfitting and limiting access. Furthermore, an unrestricted public land hunt will only encourage elk to reside on private land. Controlled late hunts on public lands still be done by having the commissioners extend the season when conditions permit to target herds migrating from public lands to winter grounds located on private property.
[FONT=&quot]4) This must not interfere with the archery season on public land.[/FONT]

About the same that myself and many others wrote.

I had some additional questions about the MTFWP counting "11-12 month old calf elk" in "late winter and early spring"...Apparently they don't know that elk calves are born in June. I'm highly suspect that they are conducting counts in May and June, when the previous years calves would actually be 11-12 months old.

I also had some comments about their counting of said calves, and counting 40% of those calves as bulls for justifying bull-to-cow ratio's. Those same 40% are also counted for cow-to-calf ratio's.

But, with conversations I've had with many guys from Montana, they feel there is a forgone conclusion to elk shoulder seasons, and they're going to happen regardless of opposition.

I believe that as well...

54 elk and deer damage and management hunts ongoing, Aug 28th., new calves and fawns, bow season just around the corner. Landowners call the shots and the elk and deer get slammed.

I know you guys are sick of this 'tana drama, but Lundquist put out a good article on the proposals: Elk hunting proposal breeds confusion, mistrust.

Hunters did generate some comments (from the article):
At the Aug. 6 commission meeting, Hagener said he'd received 550 comments. At the Aug. 25 meeting, chairman Dan Vermillion said 90 percent of the comments he'd received were opposed. The commission will meet on Sept. 18 for a special session on the shoulder seasons.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back