Not Ideal late season hunt…

View attachment 308166
I was planning on selling my razor 8s to @perma but u think they just got stolen. She thinks they are the coolest thing ever. I’m don’t think she has put them down since I handed them to her as we pulled into the unit.

Any one have recommendations for a cheat pack for a 7 yo petite little girl?
Well now I’m hosed. I can’t take away a little girl’s first set of noc’s. Only way I see this working at this point is to show her your Swaros, but that’s a dangerous play.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. We were having some great daddy daughter time and didn’t want to spend the time doing the write up.

After talking to the ranch manager, we met up with him and I forked over the $100 with a smile on my face! He unlocked the gate for us and we parked just inside the gate. There was a pretty good little drainage covering the majority of the 800 or so yards between the truck and the antelope. The first 200 yards we were in plain sight of the herd of 50 plus antelope. We worked along the fence line for a bit until we could get in the ravine and then used that to cover some distance. This photo is right before we left the truck. The antelope are close to the rocks in the center of the photo, the depression on the left is the route we took.

082001E1-CA56-4E54-B5A4-66FAEB0A560C.jpeg

I explained why we weren’t walking directly at them and why we needed to walk slowly when we could see them but could pick up the pace when they were out of view. She was loving the ability to check them out with the binos.
163AA925-9DC4-4766-98BA-7D35D33B481D.jpeg
We made it to a rock outcropping about 400 yards from the herd and made a game plan. Should be able to see them just left of her head.
6532AD5A-D9E1-4AED-AF32-7F0F3967B5A8.jpeg

They were up and feeding so we dropped into the ditch and we’re able to get to about 200 yards. I set up the tripod to get some elevation for a shot. By this time they were all bedded and I was on my knees. We were able to close into right about 150 yards.

I explained how we were going to wait for a good shot on the vitals and not a head shot. We were looking for a mature doe to get the most meat possible and wanted to verify that we weren’t shooting a young buck or a buck that dropped its horns.
Over the next 30 minutes we talked about different things pertaining to hunting, especially patience. How frustrating it could be that they wouldn’t stand up, and how cold we were getting. We planned for a quick attack and all of the well planned out warm layers, boots, and warmers were in the truck. It was getting windy and the sun was slowly going down. We took a few photos and kept glassing the antelope waiting for them to stand up.
3C55AEF1-8206-4CD3-81B2-7FB6DF076219.jpeg691DF116-9CAB-486F-BD3E-5536C5272452.jpeg3C30ECC4-032E-4FAA-A0B4-02173F0FAC1B.jpeg4872E544-A219-47B9-8179-25F41EDE53FB.jpeg

We hit terminal cold point in the cowboy boots and had to make a quick solution. Even my warm layers weren’t in my pack 🤦‍♂️. I pulled out my hand warmer sleeve thing that I brought for her and we put it over her boots. 122897E3-80F4-42A7-9B2C-90FF37F69A69.jpeg
I could tell the antelope were going to stand soon so got settled on the rifle. She saw the first one stand and said, “Dad it’s up” before I had a chance to.

I settled down on the rifle and waited as multiple were starting to stand and feed. Explained to her that we needed one by itself. The biggest doe in the group of three that we were most focused on started to clear and I put my finger on the trigger.

Aaaaachooooo!!!!!

The biggest sneeze I have ever heard come out of her… the whole group of does go on alert and take off. Because of the terrain I lost them almost instantly. We tried to regroup and cut the corner on them. We are sneaking behind the slight terrain variations and trying to stay low but cover ground at the same time. We keep seeing heads but can’t get high enough to see bodies before they move again. We try 3-4 times and continue to get busted. There is nothing to hide behind but a few patches of taller grass.

Then out of the corner of my eye I see another group working from the south towards us. They are about 400 yards away and working closer. They all have their heads down. Maisy is cold, we are trying to get her warm as well as get settled for a shot. I start to lay down and it’s cactus everywhere. We shift over about ten feet and I lay down. She is right next to me and we start to pick apart the antelope. There is a very big doe and a young buck separate from the rest of the group. I settle down on the rifle and they are moving a lot with heads down and can’t keep track of which is which. Maisy is telling me how cold she is.

I take a quick range and it hits 220 something. I see the doe clear and take another range, 320. Crap, what is going on. I take a few more ranges and they are all coming back around 300. I am prone and stable on my pack with wind at my back. I check my holdover for 300 and settle down. I squeeze the trigger and boom. I watch the antelope take off to the right. Still in range and not going to quick. Maisy said she saw one “pancake” before they all ran off. I asked for clarification because I didn’t see one go down. I didn’t hear the thwack. She said she saw one drop so we stood up and walked over to where the doe had been.
0B7712FF-BEFE-4E84-9DE9-4496EAFF32E7.jpegA8A0765D-F892-4EFB-8BC9-9C11B1224E92.jpeg
As I stand up I see one group of 30-50 directly behind Maisy and the other group of 30-50 down the way. Both within about 300 yards and I get that sick feeling that this walk may not end well and it might also blow all of these antelope out of here.

Well… I gridded that 6” tall grass three times. From 200-500 yards from my shooting spot and about 200 yards either side of where the doe was. No doe, no blood, and in the process we have a full blown cold meltdown. She is freezing, her hands and toes are freezing and she is crying. I look over and see all of the antelope starting to feed away just over 300 yards away.

I grabbed the gear and we hiked back to the truck. We started up the truck. Got the hand warmers out, the winter boots, the mittens, the heater going and some snacks.

Once we got the cold under control we drove down the ranch 2 track to see if we could find the 2 groups that appeared to have become one large group. I got out and double checked that there was no blood where the group crossed under the fence. We are good I said, no blood. Just bad shooting or the doe was actually at the first range around 200 and I shot over her back. I’m going to stick with that one for my own ego….

I drove about another hundred yards and they were directly in front of me on the 2 track. I backed up to get the truck out of sight a little and asked if Maisy was ready. She said she just wanted to watch from the warm truck. I said I would stay in sight and started to crawl up. They had worked off to the north a bit but I was able to get a good position on a small knoll.

They were on high alert and knew that this was likely my last chance if I wanted Maisy to be close. I ranged the couple does in the back of the group and got a solid reading around 300. As I did this, my head popping up above the grass to get the range finder a clear shot, the front of the group spooked. I settled down on the rifle, put the crosshairs on the solo doe in the back and checked my hold over. She was starting to run but stopped, slightly quartering away and I let her have it. Boom, thwack, down.

I looked back at Maisy and gave her the thumbs up. And then walked back to the truck to get her. She said she was eating her snack but out of the corner of her eye saw an antelope stand up on its hind legs and then tip over and then a cloud. I told her that was exactly what happened and that it was dead right where I shot her. We bundled up and I let her lead the way to find the doe. I pointed her in the general direction and then let her do all the work. She was so excited!

468E4CC5-DE39-460A-9FBE-027F947D9E65.jpeg

Antelope is her favorite meat and asked me to get a tag this year. I tried every week in the returned tags because I didn’t draw one this year. I finally got one and she said she was coming with me. So she pursued the hunt, spotted the antelope, and took part in the whole thing. She wasn’t feeing up for a sunset parting out in the cold wind so I dragged the doe back to the truck and she sat in the warmth with snacks while I cut up the doe and got it into the cooler.

We had reserved a place to stay up there and it was supposed to be in the 50s the next day. We grabbed dinner in “town” and watched some rodeo on the tv. She was loving that! Then headed back to the little one room cabin and played games for hours after a quick hot tub session.

We had a blast and spent most of the day Friday playing games and spending some good daddy daughter time. Looking forward to as many more of these as I can swing! Heck I did 3 miles with a swollen as all get out toe a week after smashing it and 2 days post crutches. I’ll be out there with a walker some day hunting with her till she tells me to stay in the truck. And I’ll still enjoy every second of it!

Ps… we still have a month to fill a private land deer doe tag! It may be the off season for most of you, but we are only half way through my finale!!!!

steel toe boots? Just a thought. Lost end of my pinky finger on the work over rigs that sucked. Good luck have a great time with the kid, they grow up quick.

steel toe boots? Just a thought. Lost end of my pinky finger on the work over rigs that sucked. Good luck have a great time with the kid, they grow up quick.
The boots I wear are basically a mountaineering boot and have a hardened toe box. The true steel toe boot or composite toe are too bulky and run the risk of getting jammed between branches while climbing. Getting a boot stuck between branches or getting hung upside down because of a steel toe is a real possibility. And switching out boots every time I switch from in the tree to on the ground isn’t realistic.

A33623DA-CC65-4E7D-B594-B16CF303ECD3.jpeg
Personal hunting pointer for all:

Don’t set things on the ground. This makes the second item this year I had to go back for… The first a knife during my deer season. Had to go back Friday morning and call the land owner to go back and grab the glassing head for my tripod that I pulled off to put my rifle on. The ram on the head is too long to fit in my pouch on my pack. That will be getting modified this evening.

2BBD2949-809E-4D69-80C9-D38362C09236.jpeg3F6C8722-77EF-48BA-BB71-B7DF1BA9419C.jpegE924A991-0C22-4952-9B0D-4563E39F2C5D.jpegE4563C03-E756-438C-96B5-76092B3D255A.jpegD4945487-7697-4CFA-9523-6E0739E8D310.jpeg
For all you boot experts out there. I go through a pair of these about every six months. The one that got smashed looks fine from the outside minus some cosmetics… but the toe box has a crease in it. Time to retire them and get the new ones off the shelf.

The comparison of a 6 month old boot vs the same brand new boot. You all are a bunch of softies on your hunting boots! 😉

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back