PEAX Equipment

Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

Well I need some council. I went out last week and had fun but didn’t catch anything. I learned that my string is too curly so I’m overhauling the reel. I got a 5lb DT line from Rio, when I wanted a WF. Before I run to sportsman’s, what’s the general consensus on the difference? I’d prefer to cast farther so I thought a weighted front is the way to go.

Well I need some council. I went out last week and had fun but didn’t catch anything. I learned that my string is too curly so I’m overhauling the reel. I got a 5lb DT line from Rio, when I wanted a WF. Before I run to sportsman’s, what’s the general consensus on the difference? I’d prefer to cast farther so I thought a weighted front is the way to go.
Not uncommon for line line to hold a memory of being wrapped up on a reel, especially after the winter months.
Line also gets a twist to it. I frequently pull the line off the reel and stretch it to help bring it back to straight. Just grab the line in 3' lengths and stretch, you will feel it elongate a tad. Twist is slightly different to address. Start at one end and pinch the line with one hand and pull with the other, working the entire line through your pinched fingers, you will see the twisted line spinning a bit in front of your pinched fingers.
Double taper is a more friendly line design for beginning casters. It has benefit because the line can be reversed ...in other words the taper is the same on both ends. So when the side you are using becomes to short from tying on leaders, or if a crack develops in the line anywhere towards the front half you can simply reverse the entire line on the reel and use the opposite half of the line. WF has its benefits, but the nature of the taper requires an adjustment slightly in your casting, it won't necessarily glide like at DT. Tough to explain. WF also has a specific taper at one end of the line and cannot be reversed like a DT. WF is more effective, IMO, for all applications...dry fly, nymphing, streamers. Helps in the wind a bit better too. DT though is more of a finesse line.
Little early for fishing options other than nymphing and streamers.
PM me anytime.

In general, Scientific Anglers will last way longer than Rio. Rio supported by guides. SA owned by Orvis now, but, AFAIK, no change in quality. Per a guide out of Craig, Rio lasts 3-4 months; he uses SA even though Rio is almost free to him.

YMMV.

In general, Scientific Anglers will last way longer than Rio. Rio supported by guides. SA owned by Orvis now, but, AFAIK, no change in quality. Per a guide out of Craig, Rio lasts 3-4 months; he uses SA even though Rio is almost free to him.

YMMV.
Granted guides use their lines every day for 3-4 months under tough conditions...clients. I have lines I have fished with yearly for many years. Some lines used sporadically pushing 20 years.
I don't get them at cost, and I take care of them. I would bet guides use new lines virtually every year because of the " deal".

YMMV.
I bought a new SA leader at a fly shop in colorado. Didnt use it right away but needed it a few days into our trip. Pulled it out and the leader was very "beat up" Sent photos to SA they sent me several leaders for free. Top notch service imo.

I have not had great luck with Rio lines in terms of durability. I had a Rio line crack on me over the course of a summer. I do have a Rio Gold 6 weight line that has held up well enough and I've had it for years. I just throw streamers with that rod most the time so I don't even really care if it still floats. I currently have Rio Gold on a 4 weight reel, I'll see how long that lasts. A buddy of mine is a guide out of CDA, ID. He prefers SA to Rio because of the durability issues.

I like the Scientific Anglers Infinity on my 5 weight a lot. I think the MPX and Infinity are good work-horse tapers. Probably better ones out there for pure dry fly presentations but I like a versatile taper.

I bought a new SA leader at a fly shop in colorado. Didnt use it right away but needed it a few days into our trip. Pulled it out and the leader was very "beat up" Sent photos to SA they sent me several leaders for free. Top notch service imo.
That’s good to know. I’ll give them a try on the next.

The first 30 feet or so of the DT and WF will have a pretty similar profile and will cast similarly at moderate distance. If you can cast well enough to shoot line, the WF will make that easier as the thinner line behind the head will present less resistance running through the guides. DT lines are great for roll casts and mend well at distance.

The first 30 feet or so of the DT and WF will have a pretty similar profile and will cast similarly at moderate distance. If you can cast well enough to shoot line, the WF will make that easier as the thinner line behind the head will present less resistance running through the guides. DT lines are great for roll casts and mend well at distance.
WF implies just that. Not the same as the gentle taper of a DT. Two different cats.

WF implies just that. Not the same as the gentle taper of a DT. Two different cats.
I suppose with so many different fly line designs available these days it is hard to generalize (and not worth arguing about), but for what it is worth, this is from the Orvis website:

Most DT lines are used by fisherman who concentrate on dry flies. WF lines are used by anglers who want one line to do it all. But the truth is, at distances up to 30’, there’s no real difference between these lines. Only at longer ranges does one comes out ahead of the other.

Big advantage of that DT line is going to be mendability when you’re trying to achieve a drag free drift.

Also, results vary, but the fish catching can be better if you get closer to the fish with a delicate cast instead of casting further to them and possibly splashing around line on the surface.

I suppose with so many different fly line designs available these days it is hard to generalize (and not worth arguing about), but for what it is worth, this is from the Orvis website:

Most DT lines are used by fisherman who concentrate on dry flies. WF lines are used by anglers who want one line to do it all. But the truth is, at distances up to 30’, there’s no real difference between these lines. Only at longer ranges does one comes out ahead of the other.
Right^...30' of line out of the reel means 20' beyond the rod...which isn't far. Anything beyond, taper design takes shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back