Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

Loving this thread! I've been able to get out a few times so far this spring and have done well. Midges have been working best for me. Lately my wife and I have been preparing for our first salt water fly fishing experience in early May (Belize).

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpeg
    IMG_0107.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
I recently purchased a lot of flies from a going out of business sale. I got a decent deal on them and will take me awhile to sort through over 500 flies. There was some fly tying material in these lots. Maybe 2 dozen or so spools of thread and what looks to be paint. If anyone that ties flies would be interested in it i will take some pictures tonight. I would be willing to mail it to you if you would want to trade for a couple flies. i do not think it is worth a ton but it has no use for me right now.

I recently purchased a lot of flies from a going out of business sale. I got a decent deal on them and will take me awhile to sort through over 500 flies. There was some fly tying material in these lots. Maybe 2 dozen or so spools of thread and what looks to be paint. If anyone that ties flies would be interested in it i will take some pictures tonight. I would be willing to mail it to you if you would want to trade for a couple flies. i do not think it is worth a ton but it has no use for me right now.
Yeah post up the materials and I’ll take a look

Yeah post up the materials and I’ll take a look
This is what I got. Prob not worth much but if someone can use it they can have it.

Attachments

• 20240401_161543.jpg
    20240401_161543.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240401_161525.jpg
    20240401_161525.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240401_161518.jpg
    20240401_161518.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Never tied a fly in my life til 2 weeks ago. My son bought me a kit so I've been watching videos and trying to learn. Tied up some balanced leeches over the weekend. Took them to a nearby pond and managed to catch 5 fish. Crappy pic by myself in the raft but proof nonetheless. Looks like another rabbit hole I'm diving headfirst into. 😂
20240329_153957.jpg20240401_111639.jpg

Made a few chironomids to take to the pond. Caught a real pretty one. Measured at 18". Caught another one that was bigger but not as pretty. Wasn't really looking for a new hobby but it's become quite addictive.

View attachment 321757View attachment 321758
Great fish! Very addicting, nothing better than catching a fish on something you made. I got into tying thinking I’d save a little money, and now I have so much invested into materials, I could have just bought flies for the rest of my life 😂 wouldn’t have it any other way though! There’s always that chance you’ll come up with something innovative and different that slays the fish and then you’ll be the holder of the secret sauce

Reactions: BRI
Great fish! Very addicting, nothing better than catching a fish on something you made. I got into tying thinking I’d save a little money, and now I have so much invested into materials, I could have just bought flies for the rest of my life 😂 wouldn’t have it any other way though! There’s always that chance you’ll come up with something innovative and different that slays the fish and then you’ll be the holder of the secret sauce
I'm not sure what's a worse rabbit hole, this or reloading. I've been to the fly shop 4 times this week. The owner just laughs. I need to find a cheap used desk and a place to set up. I've taken over half the kitchen table. The wife is tolerant so far. I told her to let me know when it gets too much. Lol. Currently working on different size 18 jig colors for dry dropper fishing.
20240407_075457.jpg20240407_075700.jpg

Those crayfish look great! Is that just one zonker strip for the claws? Those are always the tough part for me.

Yeah, and one inverted for the shell, really not too hard to tie, it's one of two patterns I used to tie for the shop where I lived.

Snuck out to fish my favorite beaver ponds on Friday morning, this was the first one, it's an average fish for there. It always cracks me up to go past 10 miles of river with crowded pullouts and 2-3 dudes in every hole just to catch more and bigger fish all by myself for two hours.

1DC0F700-B3D3-42D0-A034-A7C7A450DB8F.jpeg

This is what I got. Prob not worth much but if someone can use it they can have it.
When I taught it for the 4H, I lived off of donated supplies. Try them. When I quit teaching, I donated it to the local Project Healing Waters group. They were super happy to get it all.

Snuck out to fish my favorite beaver ponds on Friday morning, this was the first one, it's an average fish for there. It always cracks me up to go past 10 miles of river with crowded pullouts and 2-3 dudes in every hole just to catch more and bigger fish all by myself for two hours.

View attachment 322020
Many years ago I put out a short article called "I fish where you don't." This is exactly why. Truth is, as I said there, I would rather catch a couple of dinks, over stand in a crowded area with big fish. Just not my thing.

Back