Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

Ought Six

I tie a fly or two just about every day. Good way to pass time in the hunting offseason. Always looking for inspiration. If you tied a fly today, or caught a fish on one, post it up.

Today was a couple sparkle minnow variations before work for an upcoming trip:

IMG_4178.jpeg

What a great idea for a new thread! I have not tied any flies in quite a few years but now you have me thinking about pulling out the vice. My flies never looked very good but they caught fish. I'll be watching this thread for inspiration.

I started tying flies early in high school. Would just tie something together, not necessarily following a pattern and go see if it caught fish, most of them did. Seems like I tied for a few years, but then quit. That was almost half a century ago, need to start again since I am close to retirement.

I really want to get into tying. I'm just nervous I will go head first into another rabbit hole like everything else I try.
And that rabbit hole is immense. I have a closet full of fly tying and rod building equipment, supplies. You will never look at a game animal the same. Pheasant, grouse, chukar, deer elk, moose, ect. all become potental for new fly patterns.

Does anyone here ever sell any flies!? or in need of tying materials? not sure what everyone uses i had a few guys ask for some whitetail tails from some of the hides we process in the fall to tie.

Great thread idea.

This past weekend I fished a trout stream in the south metro area of the Twin Cities.

I was as using a fly I tied that I call “the Bogota Bugger” because it’s basically just a white line leading to a nose bleed.

Much to my surprise, a few tried putting the whole thing in their nose.

For some reason Safari on my phone isn’t letting me upload photos like it used to hopefully these pics are viewable

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0601.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 23
I really want to get into tying. I'm just nervous I will go head first into another rabbit hole like everything else I try.

When I got into fly fishing I never imagined getting into tying. A coworker sold be a crappy vice and few tools and I went headfirst down the rabbit hole myself. Glad I did tho because it is really enjoyable and I think it’s good for my mentals.

It’s a definite rabbit hole. I tied all my flies when I was young and broke.

Son and I were just talking about tying flies for an upcoming trip to Pyramid Lake. I started doing the math on going to buy the hooks, material and time/effort. I decided to buy the normal type flies from an online discount place and go buy the expensive special flies from a fly shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back