PEAX Equipment

CO goat scouting

Glad your focusing on hunting. sorry for the crap. Enjoying the pictures.

Hope this turns into the hunt of your life!

Your luck is surely due for a turn TBone....

Amen!

Sure hope you can get out there and get after them some more. Would have been great to knock one down with your son, are you guys getting back out there soon? How long is the bow season?

Thanks for sharing the pictures and story, sorry it isn't working out better. Good luck!

After the crash, I climbed back up on top and Nathaniel and I laughed some about it.

Who needs a full quiver? Two arrows are plenty.

Swedish Fish always help cheer me up.

The sun set on another fine day in the High Rockies.

Thursday came soon enough after a full night of tossing and turning on my Wonder bread sleep pad.

Sometime during the night weather showed up. Rain/slush mix.

We set out after some hot oatmeal. We trekked a long ways to enable us to look at the faces of the cliffs that we had been looking over from the topside.

We found what I was hoping for.

Horse and O&B in a stalkable spot. We drew a little map on landmarks and hustled back around the basin.

We stalked the two fatties blind, hoping they were still in place and our memories of landmarks were accurate.

It was the longest stalk so far. We inched in and peeked around the corner.

Horse had us pinned down. We couldn't get any closer.

We sat for 30 minutes or so and he stood and started feeding away. As soon as he turned the corner over the little ridge we scampered forward and inched over.

We found O&B at 55 yards, clueless of the two arrow threat about to lengthen his mid-day nap.

Have you ever seen a goat yawn?

They came out of the cliffs on schedule. I was readjusting across a small boulder slide. The boulder slide cut loose and I scampered out with only a small injury to my thumb. My bow did not fare so well.

Be careful out there, man. Back in 2011 my G5 hunt ended prematurely after a similar scenario resulted in me suffering thru a sprained ankle and a night alone in the cliffs. It's the biggest disappointment in my hunting career by far. Stay safe!

I'm starting to hope that the reason TBone is posting this weekend instead of being 7 miles in chasing after goats is because one already came home with him? :)

I'm starting to hope that the reason TBone is posting this weekend instead of being 7 miles in chasing after goats is because one already came home with him? :)

.........ssshhhh, you may spoil the surprise!!

I too felt a disturbance in the (mountain goat) force already.

That's a big negative.

It was a perfect setup. My son was 100 yards to my left. I had O&B ranged at 55 yards at about a 50 degree angle downhill.

At my signal my son stood on the skyline, causing the billy to stand perfectly broadside.

It was beautiful. I drew, had to let down and readjust footing.

I pinned him for 45 yards and let it fly. Shaved hair off his back.

Billy jumps as carbon explodes on the rock behind him. He runs down hill 10 yards and stops quartering away.

I knock my last arrow, pinned again for 45 yards and the arrow hits nothing but rock right under him.

Game over.

My son and I talk about it. We can't help but grin even with the outcome of events.

It starts raining, then snowing. More arrows are in the truck 7.5 miles away.

I could be hunting again by Friday noon.

As we hike in the slush we decide to bail. I dislike sleeping cold and uncomfortable very much. I'd like to get my bow 100% straightened out.

We pack out in heavy rain and snow. We pull into the driveway around midnight....hot showers and food and clean sheets.

Basic replacement gear has been ordered. It should be here Tuesday.

Tomorrow I'll be talking with a Deputy from La Plata county again.....

I'll be back on the mountain Wednesday with fresh attitude, gear, and arrows.

I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Your luck will change! Can't wait for the 'rest of the story'.

Man oh man if you don't deserve one of those big billies I don't know who does! Good luck TBone and be safe. I've havd gear stolen too and it is very disheartening. Hopefully a goat in your hands will help a little.

Dang! Bummer on the gear... Glad you were still able to hunt though.

Did they seem a little fluffier to you than August? When I was looking last weekend a couple looked like they had strayed to hair out a little, but then some didn't.

Good luck when you get back out there, you definitely deserve one of those giant old billies.

That's a big negative.

I pinned him for 45 yards and let it fly. Shaved hair off his back.

I knock my last arrow, pinned again for 45 yards and the arrow hits nothing but rock right under him.

Game over.

Darn, I was thinking you might be tagged out with that lead up. I guess you got your shots anyway. Do you think the bow was off from the fall or just with the angles and footing issues you just missed?

Game isn't over, just at intermission right now. Good luck!

I'm like a fat kid at Christmas. UPS delivered the necessary items to be warm and comfortable tonight.

Weather is looking spectacular.

Heading out in the morning for a solo hunt through Saturday. I've promised to leave the climbing gear in the truck and to be careful in the cliffs.

Later Gators.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back