Caribou Gear

CO goat scouting

When're you able to hunt with the archery only tag? Do rifle hunters get a crack at them after the archery season?

Randy,

Archery season runs Sept 2 thru the end of Oct.

Rifle opens in October.

I'll start hunting Sept 10. I've 3 weeks off work to make it happen.

The only thing I don't like about this thread is the fact it makes me want to go goat hunting that much more! Best of luck T Bone, I'll be following and can't wait to see more.

Just returned from my final scouting trip.

The bad news first. The mountain has been over run by domestic sheep. It's a stinky mess.

The good news: The goats are still there, they've just retreated into the cliffs on the backside of the benches.

Access is a big problem. I can look down on the goats from about 150 yards. There is a vertical 60-100 foot wall that runs for about 3/4 of a mile that I need to get down to get within bow range of them. I'm talking to a mountaineering buddy to see if he can teach me some basics of not dying while going down vertical drops. Hopefully he'll loan me gear so I don't have to buy it.

I found Horse. All the billies are singled up now.

I found Kinky

I found Diego.

I found them all except for Old and broken.

Found a new billy on a distant peak in a huntable spot.

Found a bunch of ptarmigan. I think all you would need to eat well is a tennis racket.

Elk are still tempting me. All the bulls have gleaming white antlers, and are bugling some. This herd had 2 really good bulls in it. I've decided to not have an elk tag in my pocket until the goat tag is punched.

Spending an afternoon snoozing and spotting goats at 13k elevation with my dog. If I watch her, she knows when goats are below us. Several times she'd start sniffing the updrafts and a goat would pop out below us.

The best news is that I was able to chat with Cesar the sheepherder. He's a nice guy from Peru. I asked if he'd move the range maggots to a different area and he smiled and said, "claro que si". As I was leaving the mountain he was already moving them further down the range, away from my hot-spot.

My work schedule has changed some. I'll be hunting on the opening day of September 2nd for a week. Then 2 weeks later in the season.

Last edited:
Just returned from my final scouting trip.
The good news: The goats are still there, they've just retreated into the cliffs on the backside of the benches.

Access is a big problem. I can look down on the goats from about 150 yards. There is a vertical 60-100 foot wall that runs for about 3/4 of a mile that I need to get down to get within bow range of them. I'm talking to a mountaineering buddy to see if he can teach me some basics of not dying while going down vertical drops. Hopefully he'll loan me gear so I don't have to buy it.

Very cool that you've been able to find so many different good billies and keep track of them. Great pictures. Pretty cool to see that many elk too. I still haven't contacted any mountaineering folks but have been looking at some rope and harnesses, they sure want $$ for climbing rope.

Man those are some big fat billies in pretty mild country... I'm excited for you.

Mild you say?

Whatever you're eating for breakfast, I want some.

Ha, yeah it's all relative I guess. After watching goats all summer my new definition of mild is whether or not there's enough slope for grass to grow on it.

I'm sure that extra 3k in elevation doesn't help anything either.

Looks like your set to go, I'm looking forward to the hunt report and pics.

If it's that hard to get down to them, how are you going to get the meat and cape out?

Good luck on your hunt T Bone, looks like you've found some great goats. Your neighbor Greg and I are headed up to Wyoming in a week for Antelope season.. I hope to see some great pics when we get back.

I'm weirding out a little bit about getting down that wall safely. After showing pictures, my friend recommended a harness and proper gear.

I also found out that asking to borrow climbing rope is like asking to borrow underwear. It's just not done.

The price of the hunt just went up $200 or so.....not to mention another 20 pounds of gear to pack.

Gravity takes care of the down part. How do you get yourself and your hairy white friend up?

I'll have my son with me. He'll stay up top and guide me to the goat. When the goat dies, we have two options.

1- Son comes down to the goat and we go out a different drainage and catch the train. Call the wife from Silverton, and drive back to the rig. Hike in 8 miles, retrieve remaining gear.

2- Son stays on top and he hauls goat up in pieces via rope. Then, he belays as I climb up.

This is going to be a hunt that I remember.

T Bone...Such great pictures! Thanks so much for sharing. I have a goat tag this year as well. New to the forum and definitely excited for next week!

TJ

4" of snow on top last night.....

Playing with the climbing gear today.

Broadheads are sharp. Bow is shooting excellent. If I can get Horse within 60 yards, he's in trouble.

C'mon Monday morning!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back