Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Brutal coyote pics

Here is my coyote, I competed in a coyote tournament last weekend. Called in 4 and shot one, my partner missed the other 3. I think it was close to 100 coyotes that were killed for the tournament. The winner shot 10 coyotes and the 10th place team shot 5.

You need to keep predators in check cause otherwise things can get way out of hand fast. When the Valles Caldera here in NM was private the elk population was close to 5000 head of elk. About 11 years ago the federal government purchased the Caldera and opened it up to only elk hunting. The previous owners managed the predators and never had a problem. Now the predators are way out of control and the elk population is now down to around 2000 head. The biologist will say its more like 2500 head and the hunting manager will tell you that it is more like 1800 head. The elk calf survival rate is around 10 percent and so they have been running test on the calves to see which predator is killing them. That study was started 4 years ago and still no talk of opening it up for predators.

Attachments

• photo (11).jpg
    photo (11).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 331
I agree, they do need to kept in check. The problem here in OK in our part of the state is it is thick super thick ,you can hardly see more than 50yds in most places.Timber companies have cut 90 percent of the native hardwood and replanted pine trees .The first 3yrs growth is not to bad but from 3yrs until its thinned,which is abought 12yrs ,its pretty much impossible to get around.This in turn is a wildlife refuge not just for yotes but everything ,which is good thing heres the problem yotes hardley get hunted its to" THICK" . They are becoming a big problem not just on deer and turkey but on cattle as well.OK state law lets you hunt them at nite with #6 shot or smaller ,which is pretty much usless in the thick stuff ,I know these picthures they came from OK about 30 min from my house and about 1 hr from huntinfool5 my cousin.I agree with both sides there gona do what they were put here to do but im gona do my part when i see one everytime i can including wild hogs . OK needs some predator hunting changes before it gets any more out of control.

I have hunted yotes in real thick stuff here in MN. It actually can be an advantage to a caller. If you can get up in a deer stand so you can see down. When using electronic calls this is fairly easy. With mouth calls a 2 team approach is better with one in the air and one on the ground. A climbing stand can be great if you dont have too many deer stands. Shotguns are the best and although not ideal #6 turkey hevi shot loads will smoke em at these closer ranges but I prefer the #4 shot. Hevi Shot Dead coyote is very good during daylight but I wouldnt hesitate to use a quality #6 either. Turkey loads with a turkey choke. They will come in quiet and try to come in down wind so you gotta watch your scent. Also, hunt the edges when you can. If they are getting smart on the rabbit calls mix it up to bird chirps, mice, turkey calls or deer bleats.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back