PEAX Equipment

Coyotes what are they thinking and why

I would say not to worry about it. When I lived on the farm I had them at the edge of the yard all the time. Even had one that hated to take a dump in the deep snow. Every morning as I would go to work I'd check my rearview mirror to find him sneaking down the trail to crap in my machine shed/lean too where it was dry.

Had them eating pears in the yard, twenty feet from the back door in the summers too. Put out a trail camera and found out all sorts of critters were in the yard at night.

And yes, I had a big dog at the time.
I definitely am with you on that issue I've killed 31 of them the last five and a half to six years but it doesn't seem to faze one I eradicate one family and another one moves in I mean actually a couple of them they're beautiful dogs I mean the ones that ain't all scroty looking and manged up you know but I just don't trust him around my pups and getting diseases and crap like that and most of all eating them eating the puppies which I don't think the mom would ever let that happen but if they gang her that's a different story but thanks for replying good input appreciate you

You just hit the nail on the head.
You kill one and another moves in. When you remove one from its territory that territory is now up for grabs and another will move in. Maybe the next one (a pair really) won't be as bold. Maybe it will be worse.

One of the best years I had coyote hunting I killed nine coyotes from the same place. I'd kill one or two and a week later another would move in.

You just hit the nail on the head.
You kill one and another moves in. When you remove one from its territory that territory is now up for grabs and another will move in. Maybe the next one (a pair really) won't be as bold. Maybe it will be worse.

One of the best years I had coyote hunting I killed nine coyotes from the same place. I'd kill one or two and a week later another would move in.
Yeah it's like I said earlier I got a whole week off starting this Friday on to the second of January 1st and foremost I'm going to shoot deer but I would shift gears to coyotes some point in time but appreciate your input my friend I can tell you're really knowledgeable about it and I appreciate all that stuff hope you have a good holiday coming up for Christmas and I like being on this hunting site

Kill, Eat, Shit and repeat.

If they can kill it, they will, and lord knows they will eat damn near anything, starting with ass end first.
Yep I have not personally witnessed what the coyotes eat when they get after something that's wounded or whatever but I've heard stories about it but since deer seasons over here in South Carolina I will get on them thanks for replying man appreciate y'all's input on this

Hello everyone, hope somebody has a answer to the question I'm about to ask, I felt like over the years I had become quite knowledgeable on behavior and patterns with coyotes, I'm not so sure about that now, on 2 separate times a coyote has came up within 15 yds of my back porch, that's not what is odd, I have a female friend staying in her camper, both times this yote has came with in 15 ft of her with my German shepherds through out my place, even though they're kenneled, I have never known for them to be this brazen especially not in a pack, rabies was and still is a thought just wondering if anyone could help me out with this issue at hand
I've hunted coyotes since Winter of 1968. Over my yrs I have spent many hundreds of hours just observing their behaviors (un-pressured). I reckon I've observed well over 2 thousands coyotes in my hunt years. Some of which I killed or tried to kill. Otherwise I just observed them from a distance. As I wanted to learn as much as I could from their behaviors. Here are some of my opinions based upon what I believe to be true; By the way I hunt North central plains area(geographically speaking). Once a pair mates. They will establish their own territory(Which of course includes farms/cropland). Mainly on open rolling hills. This terrain is divided into most typically. 1 square mile land masses. Surrounded by gravel roads. Most of those mile sections I can scan back into those hills from varying angles. Using binoculars & a spotting scope. My visual findings & beliefs; A mated pair will occupy roughly 6-8 square miles. They routinely will cover much of their territory daily. Which also includes farm acreages/farm yards specifically. It is not unheard of. That they will come into a farm yard during varied hrs of the day or night(mostly during dark time hrs). That farm yard is inside of their marked territory. It is true, some coyotes are more brazen than others. It is also true, each individual coyote. Has his/her own specific behaviors(like a domestic dog if you will). Some coyotes keep to themselves & do not bother livestock & or domestic pets on a farm acreage. However, it is a concern when understanding a "brazen" coyote. Be wary of them. When they show little to no fear of being near any human. Specifically women & children.

I'd set up a game camera to pinpoint their patterns and times. Then be waiting for them and kill them.

Get a cheap IR camera that attaches to a regular scope, has a small screen to show what the camera sees, and a IR flashlight. Its the poor man's heat scope. And it most certainly works. And as a bonus, IR light reflects off their eyes, but they can't see it. It's like cheating but in a good way. Amazon has these. I once shot a fox that came in and literally bedded down and I had the light on it for awhile until he stood up.

I know I'm no help in determining their thought processes. But to me if their coming in your property like this it's not worth figuring out. It's easier to eliminate the problem.

Hello everyone, hope somebody has a answer to the question I'm about to ask, I felt like over the years I had become quite knowledgeable on behavior and patterns with coyotes, I'm not so sure about that now, on 2 separate times a coyote has came up within 15 yds of my back porch, that's not what is odd, I have a female friend staying in her camper, both times this yote has came with in 15 ft of her with my German shepherds through out my place, even though they're kenneled, I have never known for them to be this brazen especially not in a pack, rabies was and still is a thought just wondering if anyone could help me out with this issue at hand
Most of the ones I see out west are thinking "run!"
I did walk up on a Utah coyote eating a domestic sheep, got within 5 feet before he notice me and sprinted over the hill.
This Montana coyote saw me yesterday morning at about 400 yards, and turned and ran (100x zoom lens)

Screenshot 2024-03-09 130317.png
In Alaska, the wolves eat coyotes that wander out of the suburban ecosystem, so they are tamer as they hang out
in suburban areas where the wolves do not.

Most of the ones I see out west are thinking "run!"
I did walk up on a Utah coyote eating a domestic sheep, got within 5 feet before he notice me and sprinted over the hill.
This Montana coyote saw me yesterday morning at about 400 yards, and turned and ran (100x zoom lens)

View attachment 318483
In Alaska, the wolves eat coyotes that wander out of the suburban ecosystem, so they are tamer as they hang out
in suburban areas where the wolves do not.
Coyotes are not a pack canine like wolves are. However, there are a few truths when seeing a group of coyotes. Such as; When they are together in a family group. Otherwise, during mating season. Lone males will/may run in a group. As they try to find a receptive female.

Some wildlife people say the coyote will be the last standing predator in North America if it ever came to that. They are smart, and with that comes adaptability. They can adapt to almost any environment, that is why they are so successful in urban environments. I live in a small town, and we live on the edge but I put some bbq beef out to cool a few weeks ago and within an hour there was a yote up on the chair eating the beef.

Back