Yeti GOBOX Collection

A Montana Mtn Goat

thecrittergitter

Well, this wasn't my hunt, I just went along to help out. I ran into this guy in town this summer that I know from our church basketball leagues. He said 34 years of applying, he finally drew a Mountain Goat tag here in MT.! I told him I would try to help out if I could carve out some time in early October . Well, we were in touch after I went to Alaska and he wanted to go Oct 4th if it worked for me. I had to coach my boys football game in the morning but packed up the night before so we could leave right after the game. My 9 yr old son Braden really wanted to go bad........goat hunting is tough work and I explained to him that this wasn't our hunt and someone else had a lot of years riding on it, so we couldn't take the chance that he wouldn't be able to keep up. Well, after much begging and promises that he would work hard and not let anyone down, I told him to get his boots and stuff ready for the hunt. I mean really, how cool would that be to a 9 yr old to get to be on a mountain goat kill!!

So, off we went!

this is Braden and JD (tagholder) hiking through goat country.

Attachments

• Braden and JD hiking.jpg
    Braden and JD hiking.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 785
Braden and I looking over the country. We had just spotted some goats and was showing Braden where they were.

One of my favorite pictures ever!

Attachments

• Goat Hat Pic.jpg
    Goat Hat Pic.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 779
  • Braden Dad Glassing.jpg
    Braden Dad Glassing.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 792
Going over the plan of attack. We had already spotted a Billy that JD liked so now it was just a matter of getting there undetected.

Attachments

• The Goat Plan of Attack.jpg
    The Goat Plan of Attack.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 789
And the final result of a perfectly executed plan and a little luck!

I was so proud of Braden for busting his butt to keep with us. Kid did amazing. This kid has now been on hunts of every animal in Montana with the exception of sheep......and he better not be on a sheep hunt before me or there may be words.......;)

Attachments

• Braden Dad Goat.jpg
    Braden Dad Goat.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 782
  • Braden Goat.jpg
    Braden Goat.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 778
  • Braden and JD.jpg
    Braden and JD.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 781
  • JD and BIlly.jpg
    JD and BIlly.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 776
And by the time we got the goat packed out, we still had an hour of daylight so Braden and I decided we would go look for Moose since we had a friend who had a moose tag for this same unit.

And unbelievably, we found one!!! not enough time to make a play that night so I called my friend Greg soon as I could get service. I told him I found a bull moose for his wife Bridget and that they should plan on a moose hunt in the am. We hoped the bull wouldn't go far from there overnight.....

And thankfully, he didn't:)

How bout that! Got to help a Goat tag holder and Moose tag holder the same weekend!

Attachments

• Bridgets moose.jpg
    Bridgets moose.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 782
I guess mountain goat and moose hunting is tough business according to this kid:)

Attachments

• Braden Sleeping.jpg
    Braden Sleeping.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 775
I tell you what, it is good to be YOUR friend! Nice job all around and your son has some amazing opportunities. I am sure he will look back on all that one day with great thanks.

Quite unusual that a 9 year old can keep up on a mountain goat hike. Amazing times on the mountain for him and great father/son time. LOVE the spotting scope pic. And very generous to befriend and be there for your friends hunt.

(I was going to use the phrase "guiding your friend" but after your Alaska moose adventure/debacle I believe the word "guide" to be a dirty word for you just now.)

Wondering where posts from critter went?, now here we go!
Thanks for taking us along man- pass that dang horseshoe you have in your
Rear around you lucky son of a gun!

Kansasdad,"guide" is only a bad word when used in conjunction with the name Tom Shankster:)LOL

And this 9 yr old is almost like a mtn goat. Kid is passionate about it for sure. Love to see it in him. Pretty soon, I won't even buy tags, it will all be about him......:)

Thanks for sharing and some great pictures there.

A unselfish hunter you are as we can see you get more satisfaction on helping others

Great write up Matt! You are creating a monster.:) In a couple more years even the wolves will be wondering where all the elk got to after Braden gets after them.

Holy geez.....a double. In my book anyway. Wow, just absolutely incredible. Kudos to helping a couple more with some awesome animals Matt! Those smiles are priceless and it's safe to say he's hooked...simply awesome!!! Congrats to you all on those adventures, hunters and friends alike!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back