Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

270 vs 270wsm vs 30-06

the 30-06 is probably your best bet, however my personal choice is the 270win. I use a Accubond 130gr. bullet for everything, and have all the confidence that it'll cleanly take all game,except maybe a brown bear. As for the 270wsm, although it is a fine cartridge, I don't believe the 8-10% gain in velocity over the standard 270 really justifies its added expense, I'm not talking strictly monetary either, add the extra bucks for ammo,extra recoil and extra noise.

I bought a new Savage 30-06 in 1973 and have hunted most of North America with it with no regrets. It has never let me down.Still one of my most accurate rifles. I own several rifles in several calibers but will never get rid of my 30-06.

Since you already have a 7mm08 in the family I would go 30-06. With that battery alone I would feel like I was good from coyotes to Elk. If your wifes not along you can use either for a backup to the the other. You can always then build a case to her that buying an additional 270 would give you both a backup with relative low recoil and great versatility.

Sticking with the cartridges you list I would go with the 30-06 hands down. If you do not handload, you can still get 165 gr. Partitions or Accubonds loaded by Federal or Nosler and that bullet would be the one I would use for everything. That is the only bullet I handload for my 30-06, either the 165 gr. Partition or Accubond. Shoot which one your rifle likes the best.

I'd go 270 win. with 130gr bullets. Your muzzle velocity should be 3k ft. Your MPB will be around 300 yards. Every animal you see within your effective range of 300 yards can be held center mass.

I'd vote for the 270 wsm. Have one and love it. Shoots flat and recoil is no problem, much less than 30-06 and 270 win. It is my long range gun. Many bullet options for reloading. Never had an issues with bullet feeding on either my 270 wsm or 300 wsm. The 300 wsm is also a great caliber. Many options for reloading there as well.

I have all three. 270WSM drops whitetail dead in their tracks. it shoots the flattest of the three and is more accurrate than my 30-06. It only shoots 150 grain but with Accubond long range it reaches out farther than I would shoot an animal. 30-06 is good up to 300, really best around 200, but 270 wsm is better at 300 and beyond to 500-600. so for accuracey and range and energy at distance I’d go with 270wsm. Find a 270 wsm round you like and buy 10 boxes and if you just hunt and sight in scopes, you’ll never use them all.

But, you can use a bigger bullet with the 06, most use 165 or 180 grain. So, it would have some advantage on Elk within 250 yards. Of course you can go higher to 200 or 210 grain but stick with one bullet that you’ll use most often so you can learn that bullet in yourrifle. Changing weights is overrated.

270 is fun to shoot. i’d stick with a 130-140 grain. Great for whitetail And effective on most big game in North America if you can shoot.

270 wsm kicks the most of the three but its about the same as the 06. I never notice recoil when I’m hunting. Only when I’m at a bench sighting in. So, its not really a factor if you are taking one shot and maybe a follow up.

if I had to do it all over again, i’d have 2 guns, a 270 and a 300 win mag. 300 win mag beats 30-06 and 270 wsm all around. 270 is more fun to shoot on a regular basis and will take most big game in north america. But 300 will do it better and at longer distances against bigger animals.

Back