MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Leupold VX2 vs VX5

nhn2a

Looking for some advice. I built a compact 308 last year for use when hunting in thick stuff and I dont need the longer range and weight of some of my other rifle packages. I got a Tikka T3x compact in 308 and had the barrel cut down to 16", threaded and topped it with a Leupold VX2 3-9x40. It works well and is incredibly maneuverable even with the suppressor on.

Well I recently received a VX5HD 3-15x44 with firedot on a trade and am contemplating putting it on this setup. For those that have used both models, is there a noticeable difference in low light performance? I dont really need the added zoom or the turret for this setup so just curious if the added weight comes with added performance for clarity and light transmission. I've only really compared them during the day and other than eye-relief I cant tell a big difference. I did have one scenario last year during a hunt where I could pick up 5 deer at 100yrds during the last 10 minutes of legal shooting with my Swaro Binos but couldnt see them at all through the VX2.

I have that exact Leupold 172368 scope, and it is fantastic! I had 2 VX2's (3-9x 40 in silver, and 3-9x 50 in gloss black) in the past, but that was a very long time ago.

Last edited:
I love the vx2’s and think they were a bargain in their price range but I wouldn’t compare them to a vx5.

If you don’t need the extra magnification and weight I’d look at a vx3 2.5-8.

Well I already own the VX2 and VX5 so not looking to buy another one. Just deciding if I should put the VX5 on to replace the VX2 or just sell the VX5.

The VX5 is a major upgrade in all ways to the VX2. You’ll have to decide if it’s worth it.
In what ways? Is this the law of diminishing gains where you pay a lot more for a little improvement or is it drastically better optically? I haven't hunted with the VX5 yet but here at the house I don't see a huge difference looking through them.

I have a couple VX-2s. Everything I have had crosshairs on is dead. Even dial the shit out of one. mtmuley

Well I already own the VX2 and VX5 so not looking to buy another one. Just deciding if I should put the VX5 on to replace the VX2 or just sell the VX5.
Since you already own both scopes I’m confused about the question. Carry them out at sunrise and sunset side by side and compare them for yourself, nobody’s opinion is going to carry more weight than that. You have 2 solid scopes but there is a reason that the vx5 costs $1k and the vx2 is $250.

Since you already own both scopes I’m confused about the question. Carry them out at sunrise and sunset side by side and compare them for yourself, nobody’s opinion is going to carry more weight than that. You have 2 solid scopes but there is a reason that the vx5 costs $1k and the vx2 is $250.

Don't throw logic at me ... Lol.

I plan to do that but with three kids it's been challenging to time it perfectly right now. I just got the VX5 this week from a trade and have only had a couple opportunities to mess with it during the day while the kids were at school and daycare. I plan to do more testing but just holding them side by side during the day I didn't see a drastic difference.

I knew I had seen them talked about a lot on here so just wanted to hear from others experiences using both on how big of a difference they saw in low light performance.

Don't throw logic at me ... Lol.

I plan to do that but with three kids it's been challenging to time it perfectly right now. I just got the VX5 this week from a trade and have only had a couple opportunities to mess with it during the day while the kids were at school and daycare. I plan to do more testing but just holding them side by side during the day I didn't see a drastic difference.

I knew I had seen them talked about a lot on here so just wanted to hear from others experiences using both on how big of a difference they saw in low light performance.
You won’t notice a big difference during the day, it’s the first 15 and last 15 minutes that make the scope.

In addition to a step up in glass, the 30mm tube on the vx5 will give you additional room for adjustment if you want to play further out. Plus the cds if you want to utilize it

I agree down the line, The VX11 is a great scope. I have one on a 375 I bought in the late 60s. I really like the VX 5s, no complaints at all It is clearly a higher quality scope. I think since your 308 is well set up you need to buy a rifle to go under the VX 5. A 300PRC, 338 WM or even a 35 Whelan. Personally I stay away from do all cartridges, with the exception of my 06. Niche cartridges allow for excusing another addition.

If you can't do sunrise or sunset times just go out at night and try them. That should tell you what you want to know.

Comparing a vx-2 vs a vx5 is like comparing a Corvette to a Corvair IMHO.

I agree down the line, The VX11 is a great scope. I have one on a 375 I bought in the late 60s. I really like the VX 5s, no complaints at all It is clearly a higher quality scope. I think since your 308 is well set up you need to buy a rifle to go under the VX 5. A 300PRC, 338 WM or even a 35 Whelan. Personally I stay away from do all cartridges, with the exception of my 06. Niche cartridges allow for excusing another addition.

Its funny you say that. I have two main bolt actions setups that I hunt with. My medium range setup is Tikka T3 30-06 topped with a Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 BT. I can hit steel targets with that setup reliably out to 600 yards. It has been my do all cartridge and used it to kill deer, elk, moose, and bear.

I only bought this 308 because I started hunting some nasty thickets here in NC and didn't want to risk messing up that rifle when shots would be 50 yards and under. Also the minimum 5 zoom was problematic when the deer show up 10-20 yards away. The 3 zoom works perfectly. I'd only be switching to the VX5 from the VX2 for better low light performance.

If you can't do sunrise or sunset times just go out at night and try them. That should tell you what you want to know.

Comparing a vx-2 vs a vx5 is like comparing a Corvette to a Corvair IMHO.

Ok, I'll do some testing tonight and report back on what I see.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back