Yeti GOBOX Collection

Off-season project - 7mm Rem Mag

perma

Seems like every year I trade in a gun and get a new one. I've shot a lot of guns in my life and some were better than others, but I really wanted to find a 'perfect' gun. Or maybe I just am bored and want to build up a new gun.

I had a 300 Weatherby that I really like. Only issue I have is getting ammo without having it shipped to me. I thought my custom 30-06 was it, but I wanted more juice.

After mowing over the idea for a few months, I think I have found the solution that fits me. When I first started, my first two guns were a .270 and a 7 mag. Both are great cartridges, and while my favorite is the .270, I opted for the 7 mag, almost from scratch.

Pieces I'm putting together:
Weatherby Vanguard Sportsman's Edition. Picked it because it's fluted (I like the way it looked), 2" shorter than the standard mag barrel length and it's cerakoted. I will remove the weird paint job on the floor plate and find someone that can put a custom paint job on it. I'm a Weatherby frog, I know.
Stockey Stocks M50 carbon fiber stock. It's a raw stock with sponge paint. I will clear coat it after I'm done cleaning it. It came from my first build. Has the upgraded limbsaver recoil pad.
Timney trigger. Nuff said.
Vortex Viper 4x16x50 HSLR. It's been a reliable scope for me. I may swap this and put it on my 300 WBY and replace it with a Leica or Zeiss. Or do nothing. Bubble level and switch lever installed
Warne rings and pic rails. Had good luck with them and Talley, so I'll just reuse them.
Haven't decided on the rifle sling yet, but probably something narrow and rubbery that prevents slip. I have a Quake but it's not my favorite.
Debating on a muzzle break but would prefer not to use one if I don't need to. I'll have to field test it all once it's bedded.
Wayne's Dog cheek rise. Dont ask, I found it on amazon and it seemed to fit the bill. The inserts it came with dont fit the stock, so I put scope lens rags underneath to raise it.

I am presently being sorely tempted by a sharp-looking Ruger Hawkeye in 7Mag at the local Scheels. No need whatsoever for the rifle other than it would be handy to have as a loaner for anyone back East coming out to hunt with me.

I had/used 10yrs fulltime a Mod 700 7mm Rem Mag in East Texas. Never shot a deer over 50yds with it, ha. Couple years ago I bought one of those "Ultimate Firearms Sling", elastic Thermoplastic slings, works great! Around $45. If I may suggest one thing? Have that 7mm Mag throated so you can seat the 160-175 way out there, should bring your speed back up in that shorter barrel ( I like 24-26" myself) sounds like you are almost ready to sling some lead! Have a ball Pard!

I had/used 10yrs fulltime a Mod 700 7mm Rem Mag in East Texas. Never shot a deer over 50yds with it, ha. Couple years ago I bought one of those "Ultimate Firearms Sling", elastic Thermoplastic slings, works great! Around $45. If I may suggest one thing? Have that 7mm Mag throated so you can seat the 160-175 way out there, should bring your speed back up in that shorter barrel ( I like 24-26" myself) sounds like you are almost ready to sling some lead! Have a ball Pard!
Still waiting on some parts to come in. All I really did so far was get the clear coat for the stock. Gun should be here next week. Haven’t ordered the trigger yet.

I’ll see how well it groups at 500 yards once it’s all together and send it to a smith if it needs. Just don’t want to make a post next week about ‘custom gun won’t group’.

Still waiting on some parts to come in. All I really did so far was get the clear coat for the stock. Gun should be here next week. Haven’t ordered the trigger yet.

I’ll see how well it groups at 500 yards once it’s all together and send it to a smith if it needs. Just don’t want to make a post next week about ‘custom gun won’t group’.
Nice cartridge choice. It's nice to see something that isn't a PRC or a Creedmoor. mtmuley

I was in the same boat a year ago. I have a safe full of rifles. My first hunt on Western big game was with my T/C Encore. I just needed a barrel and looked at a bunch of cartridge choices and the 7 Rem Mag checked all the boxes. I killed my first mule deer with that round. I just wasn't happy with the groups from that rifle barrel and actually the .308 Win in the Encore pistol I had that grouped better. As I got older and had more play money I bought other rifles in different calibers. Last year I wanted a perfect rifle caliber combination. I decided on a Seekins PH2 in 7 Rem Mag. Still haven't killed anything with it mainly because I am a handloader and have been holding out for some Reloader 26 to push 143gr Hammer Hunter out of it. It is a shooter with Nosler AB but I hunt unleaded and want one load for everything as well.
Looking forward to pics and a range report on your build!

I've used alot of Timneys, Shilen, one Jewell, several Kepplinger Single Set Trigger, Rifle Basix, Traister, and so on. I will say this...when I tried Trigger Tech, my "Rifleman Life" changed! ha No creep, can get filles with crud and still work fine! Plus, you can adjust it through the trigger guard with a little set wrench. I like the Trigger Tech Special as they go from 1#-3#. I can start off with it set on 1# and as it get colder in the year, my hands get stiff/sore, I can crank it up to 2.5 or so! Just saying...nothing wrong with Timney. I have a TT in my Mark V ULWT.

I've used alot of Timneys, Shilen, one Jewell, several Kepplinger Single Set Trigger, Rifle Basix, Traister, and so on. I will say this...when I tried Trigger Tech, my "Rifleman Life" changed! ha No creep, can get filles with crud and still work fine! Plus, you can adjust it through the trigger guard with a little set wrench. I like the Trigger Tech Special as they go from 1#-3#. I can start off with it set on 1# and as it get colder in the year, my hands get stiff/sore, I can crank it up to 2.5 or so! Just saying...nothing wrong with Timney. I have a TT in my Mark V ULWT.
I actually wanted Triggertech but I believe they don’t make one for Howa/Vanguard. I have one on my Mark V and love how crisp it is. I’m sure I’ll get close or same results with Timney. The OE triggers are okay, just too much creep for my liking.

Great cartridge. Any idea on bullet choice, or at least general type? My 7mag (also mounted with HSLR 4-16x50) has been my go to now for 9 years and has taken everything in this state from Coyotes, Deer, Elk, Sheep, Bear, and Moose, all with HSM ammo loaded with 168gr Bergers, both VLD, and more recently Hybrids, at around 2950fps out of a 24.5" barrel. My barrel is a 1:9.5" twist and the rifle itself seems to shoot the 160-170gr stuff better than any of the lighter bullets. Not trying to take you off topic- just curious what weights you were looking to shoot, monos/cup and core, etc.

With the Limbsaver, I've never felt that I needed to brake the gun. Can spot my own hits past 500yds. Felt recoil is similar to my 30-06 with 165gr Core-Lokts (old Remington 760).

Good luck with the build!

I had that done to a Sako L61 years ago in Montana. Loaded a dummy round with the 160gr Speer HC seated to the junction of the shoulder and base of the neck. Really made a couple difference's. first accuracy went from right at 3/4" to 1/2" all the time. Next was powder chg. Origionally was using 67.0grs Norma 205 and max load went up to 69.0 grs N205! One of the things I didn't realize back then was that the Sako magazine was long enough to do it with. Though about doing the same thing to a 6mm Rem I had here that simply wouldn't shoot well but the M700 magazine was to short! Worked out really well but I'm not big on recoil and unless I shot it a lot recoil would get me pretty quick. Oh yea. All I had done actually was to have it long throated, loved it!

Last edited:
Great cartridge. Any idea on bullet choice, or at least general type? My 7mag (also mounted with HSLR 4-16x50) has been my go to now for 9 years and has taken everything in this state from Coyotes, Deer, Elk, Sheep, Bear, and Moose, all with HSM ammo loaded with 168gr Bergers, both VLD, and more recently Hybrids, at around 2950fps out of a 24.5" barrel. My barrel is a 1:9.5" twist and the rifle itself seems to shoot the 160-170gr stuff better than any of the lighter bullets. Not trying to take you off topic- just curious what weights you were looking to shoot, monos/cup and core, etc.

With the Limbsaver, I've never felt that I needed to brake the gun. Can spot my own hits past 500yds. Felt recoil is similar to my 30-06 with 165gr Core-Lokts (old Remington 760).

Good luck with the build!
Haven’t given the bullet selection much thought yet. I typically just shoot whatever the gun likes. As a rule of thumb, I try to shoot the heaviest bullet I can while still maintaining good velocity down range. I don’t hand load but have thought about it, just don’t have the equipment, skill or confidence to try yet.

I have some terminal ascends that I purchased some time ago that I will start with. If the gun isn’t happy, I’ll probably bump up to Nosler e-tip since any gun I’ve ever own always seemed to like anything Nosler made.

Haven’t given the bullet selection much thought yet. I typically just shoot whatever the gun likes. As a rule of thumb, I try to shoot the heaviest bullet I can while still maintaining good velocity down range. I don’t hand load but have thought about it, just don’t have the equipment, skill or confidence to try yet.

I have some terminal ascends that I purchased some time ago that I will start with. If the gun isn’t happy, I’ll probably bump up to Nosler e-tip since any gun I’ve ever own always seemed to like anything Nosler made.
My Son in Law killed a nice 5x4 elk around 350yds (pass through) with that HSM ammo with the 168 Berger. Neither of us had ever shot the Bergers in anything, and he had bought this Tikka Lite 7mm RM from a fellow hunter as they go down into a hellhole of a canyon for elk.( I don't do that! ha) I have given him several great elk rifles, but he just wanted to try this Tikka, as it was indeed much lighter. He was impressed with the Berger! Seems every HSM I've tried in different calibers shoots well indeed.

My Son in Law killed a nice 5x4 elk around 350yds (pass through) with that HSM ammo with the 168 Berger. Neither of us had ever shot the Bergers in anything, and he had bought this Tikka Lite 7mm RM from a fellow hunter as they go down into a hellhole of a canyon for elk.( I don't do that! ha) I have given him several great elk rifles, but he just wanted to try this Tikka, as it was indeed much lighter. He was impressed with the Berger! Seems every HSM I've tried in different calibers shoots well indeed.
Ironically I’ve see a lot of Berger hybrid for sale lately. Not a bullet I’d traditionally buy but it is interesting. Maybe I’ll get a box.

Back