Leupold VX2 vs VX5

It makes no sense to me to take a svelte quick handling rife like a Tikka T3X compact and then ruin it's fine handling qualities by sticking a big heavy scope on it. Even the 3x9 is larger than I would prefer. A 1.5 x 5 class scope is perfect on this class rifle, 2.5x8 tops.

There are significant differences between a VX2 and a VX5. Personally I would sell them both and buy a VX3 HD 1.5x5 Twilight with the firedot for that rifle. I own one of these models and a VX5 HD 1x5. The VX5 is a bit better in low light but you have to really search for the differences.

Last edited:
The #1 best selling scope for me the last 2 years has been the VX-5 3-15X44 Firedot. 172368 is the manufacture number. Great scope and value for a hunting rifle. If you want a second focal plane reticle with a illuminated dot option that weighs less than a lot of other scopes in this category, plus an exposed elevation turret that is low profile this is a good one to consider. The VX2 has been gone for a long time, so one should really be asking what is the price and quality difference in the VX5 and VX3. For me the only reasons I would buy a VX3 over a VX5 is if you want to stay ultralight in weight or just need to stay in that lower budget range for any reason. But for performance I would go with the VX5

The #1 best selling scope for me the last 2 years has been the VX-5 3-15X44 Firedot. 172368 is the manufacture number. Great scope and value for a hunting rifle. If you want a second focal plane reticle with a illuminated dot option that weighs less than a lot of other scopes in this category, plus an exposed elevation turret that is low profile this is a good one to consider. The VX2 has been gone for a long time, so one should really be asking what is the price and quality difference in the VX5 and VX3. For me the only reasons I would buy a VX3 over a VX5 is if you want to stay ultralight in weight or just need to stay in that lower budget range for any reason. But for performance I would go with the VX5

Agreed that the Leupold 172368 is a great all around scope, I sure like mine! Mine is mounted on a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade SS in .264 Win mag...awesome combo!

The only reasons I'm comparing the VX2 and VX5 is I own both. I already had the VX2 on a rifle when I received the VX5 (172368) in a trade. I was really just asking this to see how much better the VX5 is in low light than the VX2 I have now is. I've taken them outside at night but I live in the city so there's quite a bit of ambient light and I'm not seeing a huge difference. I do like the low profile turret and the firedot but for this particular setup, I just dont know if its worth switching for the added weight unless there is a significant difference in low light performance. I haven't come to a conclusion yet though.

I've got both and the VX5HD is worth it. Wider field of view and better clarity.

I agree, the biggest difference for me with my vx5 and vx6 is the wider field of view. Very helpful when hunting in thick stuff. Also great clarity and light. Definitely can shoot deer through it I can't make out well with my named eye. It's worth the money to me.

Kind of suprised. Maybe I'm an oddball but my two are a 2-10 and 2-12. I figured the 2-10 option would be more popular since it improves on a 3x9 in both directions. Close and far. And the old 3x9 is the defacto standard of scopes

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back