Tire Chains

jabber

I have a middle of November hunt in northeast Nevada and a late December hunt in Raton, NM. I have a 4WD diesel with aggressive mud grip tires on it, and will be pulling a two axle box trailer. Do I need chains? Just for the back or all the way around? I know I saw signs in Nevada saying chains were required at certain times, but don't know if that is based on the calendar or weather conditions.

If chains are suggested, what type/size? When researching them, I saw both cable & chains, different size (thickness of chain, not size of tire) chains, rubber tensioners or chain/ springs tensioners? My front tires already rub a little bit on the inner fender when at a sharp turn, will the chains be a bigger problem?

I think the smart thing to do is to get at least a pair for the back, but there sure are a lot of variables that come into play.

My first venture to NW CO in October I was very thankful we bought chains for all 4. If not for those we would have been sitting on our asses at camp rather than hunting. In my opinion they're a good investment, whether you use them or not. We got the cable type. The linked post has some very good info in it.

If the mud in Raton is anything like just north on the CO side I'd have chains, all 4 tires.

I like the V-Bar Twist Link Tire Chain.

you are more likely to need them on your new mexico hunt,,,once its wet the roads are a new meaning of gumbo off the main hwy.i would carry all 4.

Highly recommend carrying them, jabber! Especially in NV :) If you have the cash, get 4 chains so you can go all around your rig. I've had good luck with the chains from Les Schwab.

Thanks for that link. Very good info there.

Carry chains. And put them on your truck a couple times before you go for practice. Better than figuring it out on the side of the road when its blowin and snowin.

http://www.tirechain.com/?gclid=CIOa2Km657gCFabm7AodIWoAQQ

That is the site I have been looking at them on. Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like a no-brainer. Now just to sort through the gazillion different options and give them 16 numbers.

Double check you can put them on all four before you buy them. I was pretty bummed when I found out I can't put them on the front of the truck I just bought. Glad I read about it before trying though and ripped up my front end.

Some guys don't like them, but get the cam-lock style. I abused the crap out of a set last year with no trouble. I was down in Raton working last year, and while the mud was bad, we didn't need chains. It aint nuthin like Missouri Breaks Mud. Good luck, mtmuley

Glad this topic came up as I've been thinking about the same. I have two options for vehicles my Ford Escape which is 4wd(more like AWD though) and my Chevy 2500HD 4x4. I plan on using my Escape for all my hunting out west since it's a 4 cylendar and gets great mpg. Anyone else us a small suv like this and do you put chains on just the front or front and rear? Reason I ask this is because even though mine is 4wd it's not something you put in 4wd, basically once the computer feels the front slipping it engages the rear, even then though I believe only 30% of the power goes to the rear, which is why I'm asking if I should even get chains for the rear? thx

Last edited:
For chains/cables on tires, some thought is needed. If you have them on, you are best not to go at highway speeds in them! Also chain the front if you only have 2, always test them before hand!!! Don't get stuck in some gumbo type mud, or wait high snow then try to put them on either. Chains should always be a last ditch effort to get you turned around and back to an area thats better. If you throw a set on and start up the mountain you might never get that truck out!!

blb078 of the two vehicles you have either would be fine for a hunting trip. I had an '08 F350 and with no weight in the bed my rear end was loose on fresh snow on a mountain trip, when I turned around a guy in a Escape was behind me and didnt have a problem going past the area I was sliding in. He had normal factory style tires, the tall skinny ones. I had Toyo open country MT's in 35/12.5/20. Most of the time it is the combo of a narrow and smaller wheel base with skinny tires that helps you.

Glad this topic came up as I've been thinking about the same. I have two options for vehicles my Ford Escape which is 4wd(more like AWD though) and my Chevy 2500HD 4x4. I plan on using my Escape for all my hunting out west since it's a 4 calendar and gets great mpg. Anyone else us a small suv like this and do you put chains on just the front or front and rear? Reason I ask this is because even though mine is 4wd it's not something you put in 4wd, basically once the computer feels the front slipping it engages the rear, even then though I believe only 30% of the power goes to the rear, which is why I'm asking if I should even get chains for the rear? thx
Check before you buy a second pair... my Explorer doesn't have enough clearance for chains up front.

Double check you can put them on all four before you buy them. I was pretty bummed when I found out I can't put them on the front of the truck I just bought. Glad I read about it before trying though and ripped up my front end.

Hmmm. Never heard of that. Wonder if I am screwing something up when I do it. You mind sharing what rig you bought that they have told you not to do it?

I am guessing you bought a Dodge?

One of my buddies bought a new dodge a couple years back and couldnt put chains on it.... Took it back to the dealer when he found this out. He ended up getting a different truck, but they did give him some other options... I cannot remember what exactly they were though.

Chains are normally for getting out, not getting in. Of course i haven't always listened to my own advice. If you get stuck with chains on your gonna be there a while.

Glad this topic came up as I've been thinking about the same. I have two options for vehicles my Ford Escape which is 4wd(more like AWD though) and my Chevy 2500HD 4x4. I plan on using my Escape for all my hunting out west since it's a 4 cylendar and gets great mpg. Anyone else us a small suv like this and do you put chains on just the front or front and rear? Reason I ask this is because even though mine is 4wd it's not something you put in 4wd, basically once the computer feels the front slipping it engages the rear, even then though I believe only 30% of the power goes to the rear, which is why I'm asking if I should even get chains for the rear? thx

If you are hunting anywhere that it is rocky, be a bit careful with the Escape. It's not traction as much as lack of ground clearance. Couple we had at my old job had to have some pretty expensive repairs done after having the underside tore up on rocks. This was on typical 2-track roads, not off road.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back