Yeti GOBOX Collection

Tire Chains

Hmmm. Never heard of that. Wonder if I am screwing something up when I do it. You mind sharing what rig you bought that they have told you not to do it?

It's a current model Tacoma.

The issue is spacing on one of the arms off the hub assembly. I thought they were full of it so I checked, and they're right, I can barely get finger through that hole. It's right where the lengthwise links would ride.

Pretty ridiculous considering how off road capable those trucks are supposed to be.

Last edited:
It's a current model Tacoma.

The issue is spacing on one of the arms off the hub assembly. I thought they were full of it so I checked, and they're right, I can barely get finger through that hole. It's right where the lengthwise links would ride.

Pretty ridiculous considering how off road capable those trucks are supposed to be.

These or new rims will get you the clearance. At least it worked on my older Tundra. I agree way stupid design.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!q8FBIdjfGPfBQd7f!ViQg~~60_1.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!q8FBIdjfGPfBQd7f!ViQg~~60_1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 961
I've got a 2012 Tundra and am looking into the same issues. The upper control arm is tight to the back of the tire and I'd hate to tear everything up.

Dink, did you put those spacers on all 4? Backs don't have the clearance issues the front do, but I imagine it would be bad if the fronts stuck out further than the back.

Any problems holding alignment or weird tire wear?

Any problems holding alignment or weird tire wear?

Still have the same Hankook MT I bought in Oct 2010 on. No problems noted so far, maybe 25,000 miles on the tires and have had the spacers on the whole time as well. You could put them on in the fall/winter and take them off the rest of the year but I'm way to lazy to do that.

I think you could also buy new rims with less backspace and get clearance? Or would that be more backspace? I get confused with that.

I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 and I was just looking at the manual before I ordered a set of chains and the manual says to not use chains at all due to clearance issues with the stock tires.

I am planning on being out in Western Montana the last 2 weeks of Sept. Will this be an issue at all during this time of year or do I need to look at other options.

After reviewing my owners manual, it seems that Chevy does not recommend using tire chains due to clearance issues. I can only imagine they are really referring to the front, as there is plenty of room in the rear. If I can only put chains on the rear is it worth it?

does anyone use the chains that are diamond pattern? They are supposed to give a smoother ride as the tire would always have a chain under it. Just wondering for the late season hunts where I am off road and on the highway during the same day moving around alot looking for fresh tracks.

I take chains no matter where or when I hunt. Used en a lot in monsoon season in AZ. and NEW MEX. I drive truck for a living and You never know when You will need em. Never leave home with out them in the west . Just My thoughts. Can ruin a hunt if you get stuck........BOB!

If I can only put chains on the rear is it worth it?

Yes they can still do well, especially going down hill with packed snow. Keeps your truck straight.

does anyone use the chains that are diamond pattern?

I have the RUD Grip 4x4 diamond chains and love them. Easy to put on, smoother ride and I've found better lateral grip.

Only downside is I have BFG Mud KM2's and getting them snugged up takes a little more time than usual because of the deep lugs. On an all terrain tire they are a breeze to put on. Still only takes a few minutes though.

the across the tire tire chain is the best fore traction but the diamond tread pattern is very good, a common theme about tire chains is they are always put on about 40 feet to late.

Those diamond style are not for heavy off-road use. Get real chains. The cam-lock style is easy to get on and off. mtmuley

Big Fin, after watching you put chains on your Nissan SE of Casper on one hunt, I wondered what you knew that I didn't since I owned three Titans between 2004 and 2013, and to my knowledge, with coil-over shock suspension, you can't put a set of real chains on any half-ton pickup. My Nissan owner's manuals all recommended against any but tight-clearance "chains", especially on the front.. All the owner's manuals recommend only the cables or the tight-clearance "chains" with three quarter inch links. I have cables, which are OK on ice, fair for snow and lousy in mud. They broke in about 5 miles in the Black Hills. The "chains" with the little links broke in less than a mile.
You'd think auto engineers would be able to figure out how to leave enough clearance in the front end for chains. It is a safety issue, but unlike other such issues, which produced shoulder harnesses, baby seat loops, back-up cameras, and headlights that stay on while driving, nobody seems to care about using a pickup like a pickup. I and a couple of outdoor writers have brought this up to both Nissan and Toyota, but they seem more concerned how a pickup operates in the desert than in the snow and mud. As a result, many of us just cannot go where we need to hunt when it is too muddy or the snow is too deep for tires without chains.

I've got a Tacoma,in NM. The mud here can get real special driving,like buried for a while.
I carry chains,always. I've only used them a couple times. WranglerDuratracs.
The chains go on the BACK on my truck.Not an option on front. And I like my stock truck w/310k on it...

Read the owners manual about chains!!!!!!!! These are not our old Ford 4WD's or Jeeps!!!

I just don't take it on some roads, in some places here after some monsoons or winter thaws......
or I WILL GET STUCK!!!

Amazing what waiting a couple hours will do. Or not going some places with a vehicle....
If your in a Big diesel Truck here...........YOU WILL GET STUCK,Hah! Or at least slide off road........
2 yrs ago there were 15 trucks off one road in the Gila stuck to the frames,my buddy the tow guy did OK.But he got stuck 4 times trying to get one guy out,gave up til it dried and they took a back hoe in....

Big Fin, after watching you put chains on your Nissan SE of Casper on one hunt, I wondered what you knew that I didn't since I owned three Titans between 2004 and 2013, and to my knowledge, with coil-over shock suspension, you can't put a set of real chains on any half-ton pickup. My Nissan owner's manuals all recommended against any but tight-clearance "chains", especially on the front.. All the owner's manuals recommend only the cables or the tight-clearance "chains" with three quarter inch links. I have cables, which are OK on ice, fair for snow and lousy in mud. They broke in about 5 miles in the Black Hills. The "chains" with the little links broke in less than a mile.
You'd think auto engineers would be able to figure out how to leave enough clearance in the front end for chains. It is a safety issue, but unlike other such issues, which produced shoulder harnesses, baby seat loops, back-up cameras, and headlights that stay on while driving, nobody seems to care about using a pickup like a pickup. I and a couple of outdoor writers have brought this up to both Nissan and Toyota, but they seem more concerned how a pickup operates in the desert than in the snow and mud. As a result, many of us just cannot go where we need to hunt when it is too muddy or the snow is too deep for tires without chains.

My 2005 Tundra says NO chains on the front. Funny thing is my friend has an 03 tundra that he has always chained up all four on and has never had a problem; I'm pretty sure there is no difference in the front ends between our two trucks. I asked him if he ever read what his owner's manual says on chains, he just laughed and said no.

I think it's a cover your butt thing by the manufacturers. As long as your chains are tight, they aren't going to mess anything up. I will be buying another set before next fall.

The problem with a lot of today's "trucks" is that the manufacturers are trying to make them ride and handle like luxury cars.
Most of them are not made to actually be used off road, other that a graded dirt road.

Double check you can put them on all four before you buy them. I was pretty bummed when I found out I can't put them on the front of the truck I just bought. Glad I read about it before trying though and ripped up my front end.

If your tires already rub I would second Randy.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back