Tire Chains for an Elk Hunt

I got myself in a real jam last nov trying to help my brother get his elk out. Had a heavy wet snow in early Nov and I tried to get closer than I should have. Truck slid off the side of the trail and there was enough of an incline that I just sat there and spun on snow packed grass that turned to ice. I dug with a shovel, cut pine branches for under the tires...spin, spin,spin. Just when I had dropped the f bomb for the 1000th time, my dad hands me some old yellow nylon rope that I wouldn't trust to leash a 1 lb dog. I asked him what in the heck am I going to do with this? He had been sitting there tieing little knots in this yellow rope. He cut the rope into 8 pieces and we tied 4 through each front tire rim. Some real Macgyver type stuff!!! I had my doubts, but was amazed when the little rope knots caught and gave me enough traction to drive right out. I had good all terrain tires and 4 wheel drive, but in that situation they simply didn't work. Never again. I will have chains this yr....and some yellow rope just in case.

Last edited:
I bought a new new pickup last summer and needed a new set myself .. I picked up a set of the cam lock quick grip security chain company for $120 per pair off amazon. If I need them I will out on all four. Just look closely at the sizing chart if you go this route as the numbers are close. Going to test fit them this weekend and I will report back how they work.

personally I would never go out west hunting without Tire Chains, you never know what the weather can do in the Mountains.

I have bought my last couple of sets on EBay, from a place in Indianapolis, IN. can't remember the name of the place.
but they stock all sizes, the last set for my Silverado was about $100.00 to $120.00 delivered. nice heavy duty chains.

Kevin

If you have a newer truck with clearance issues, take a look at these, its what I have for my F150

chainstop.com/truck-tire-chains/grip

I have no idea if this is true or not, but when I was researching chains, I read where a guy said that you need to retighten the lug nuts if you have them on for awhile. He said the chains would cause them to loosen up. Again, I have no idea if this is true or not. Maybe somebody on here can say whether that's true or not.

If you have a newer truck with clearance issues, take a look at these, its what I have for my F150

chainstop.com/truck-tire-chains/grip

I might give them a try. I have clearance issues on the back. It looks like the cable they use on the inner wall of the tire would solve that

I put a 2.5" I believe it was leveling kit on my F150 and I have 1" taller than stock tires and no clearance issues with the v-bar chains.

It was about $250 installed at Les Schwab tire

Another couple of comments on chains. Keep a 3-4 foot length of bailing wire in your truck and a set of duckbill pliers. Also grab at least one add-a-link, three or four is better. In the rocks, you can break a chain and you don't want it flapping around getting into things like your brake lines, fenders, steering, etc. Check your chains every time you get out of the truck.

You can wire up the loose ends, or reattach with the add-a-link. I had a broken chain take out a front brake line on my Willys Jeep once. Thank god that Jeep has 5.38 gears and low range.

Jeremy

tirechains.com will fix you up. You don't need fancy chains for an occasional hunt. Make sure you solve your clearance issues, though. I got a set of camlock chains and use them only on the front. My Tundra goes fine with that setup. Front weight over the chained wheels will get you anywhere you NEED to go.

I will be coming through Billings and Bozeman. There doesn't appear to be a Les Schwab in either town. Can you guys recommend a good place in either town?

There's a big NAPA right off the interstate near Cabelas in Billings. You could also check AutoZone & O'Reilly's. Whichever your choice, I would definitely call ahead to make sure they have the size/model in stock that you need. If not, they'll bring them in for you and have them when you get there.

Someone above mentioned sandbags. Like I said earlier the rear end really wants to fishtail because it's so light. How much weight would I need? Where should I position it?

Someone above mentioned sandbags. Like I said earlier the rear end really wants to fishtail because it's so light. How much weight would I need? Where should I position it?

Most people that use Chains on a regular basis, put them on the front axle of a 4x4, being able to go doesn't mean much if you can't steer. and that is where your weight is.
I have to chain up almost every year at some point while I am in MT. do to icy roads up on the mountain.
they fit on my Silverado with no problems.

Kevin

Last edited:
Southern Elk,

Lots of good advice on this thread. Pay attention to what farbedo said about extra parts to have on hand. You should for sure fit test the chains on your tires before hand. Get them dialed in, but leave enough slack (extra links) for putting them on in a bad and snowy spot. The best advice I can give you is to put them on before you are stuck! I have personally never done that, but every time I am stuck and putting the chains on after burrowing down to my tires, I swear I will do that from now on!

tirechains.com will fix you up. You don't need fancy chains for an occasional hunt. Make sure you solve your clearance issues, though. I got a set of camlock chains and use them only on the front. My Tundra goes fine with that setup. Front weight over the chained wheels will get you anywhere you NEED to go.

sbhooper. what year Tundra? i have a 2010 and am concerned about clearance in front.

sbhooper. what year Tundra? i have a 2010 and am concerned about clearance in front.

I have a 2010, also. If you have the factory-sized tires, you can put on the chains. There is not a lot of room and you have to have them snug with no "floppers". Larger tires will probably make it difficult.

I don't recommend this, but I used to carry chains and never needed them. I don't even carry them now. I'm in the mountains everyday, so it's not just for hunting. Like I said. I don't recommend it. Espeacially, for pickups.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I think I'm going to go ahead and order 4 of these. That will give me time to try them out at home and make any necessary adjustments before my hunt.

http://www.tirechain.com/VBAR.htm

What do y'all think about these?

personally I think that the V-bar is over kill, and they might take up a little extra clearance room ?. if standard HD chains won't get you there, I am pretty sure that you wouldn't want to be there anyway.
and IMHO you really don't need 4, 1 set on your front axle will get you anyplace that you need to go.

Kevin

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back