Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tire Chains for an Elk Hunt

personally I think that the V-bar is over kill, and they might take up a little extra clearance room ?. if standard HD chains won't get you there, I am pretty sure that you wouldn't want to be there anyway.
and IMHO you really don't need 4, 1 set on your front axle will get you anyplace that you need to go.

Kevin

When chains are needed in the mountains there is no such thing as overkill.

Happens all the time, headed up or downhill, snow and ice, you hit a corner the FS loves to slope to the downhill side and there in the middle of the road sits a guy with no chains. Scared stiff and expects YOU to pull over. Don't be that guy.

Last edited:
I'd vote for the v-bar...no such thing as overkill when you need them.
As for 2 vs 4...the 2 may get you where you need to go, but sometimes the hard part isn't getting in, it's getting out. I'd hate to skimp and only chain up the front just to have my ass end slide sideways past me coming down the mountain. one area we go gets particularly nasty, and when we're back for an 8 day hunt, it may be fine going in and then mud/snow on the way out. If we put on 2, we always put on 2 more.

Test fit mine today .. Real pleased and real easy to put on and adjust.. Security tire chain quick grip cam style for $100 per pair from Amazon.image.jpg

Happens all the time, headed up or downhill, snow and ice, you hit a corner the FS loves to slope to the downhill side and there in the middle of the road sits a guy with no chains. Scared stiff and expects YOU to pull over. Don't be that guy.

Get the BEST chains you can buy. What tjones describes happens alot. ElkStalkers rig is great, but even that thing won't stop on a bad mountain icy downhill. mtmuley

Last edited:
The 4 tire chains I have for my skid steer fit my 33's and 35's great. And super heavy duty- about $175/ pair from an equipment and tractor store in Grand Junction.

When chains are needed in the mountains there is no such thing as overkill.

Read this about ten times to let it sink in. You guys that only chain up the front are gambling fools gold. Everyone thinks of going UP with chains, and I'm here to tell you that the biggest pucker moments I've had with chains have been going DOWN. If I had only had chains for the front I would have been absolutely screwed and/or wrecked.

If you can take the time to put on one set, take the time to put on two.

Someone above mentioned sandbags. Like I said earlier the rear end really wants to fishtail because it's so light. How much weight would I need? Where should I position it?

I run four 80 lb sandbags in both of my pickups all winter. Place them over the axle if you can.

I wouldn't travel anywhere in the Rockies during winter without a set of chains and a couple shovels in the truck. Tow chains and battery cables too. Chains can be a lifesaver, able to get you out of some serious and dangerous situations. They're essential tools that I carry from October through March.

My elk hunting camp is parked a quarter mile off a forest service road and sometimes the snow piles up deep during second season. If I know a storm is coming in I'll put chains on in advance. Better to take 20 minutes up front on dry ground than when 2 ft. of fresh snow makes a miserable chore of it. With heavy duty chains, my Tundra pulls like a tracked dozer in two feet of snow.

Btw, I have chains for the trailer too, for use down a steep and icy FS road, but have only once put them on (even though I probably should have a couple other times). Prevents sliding and jackknifing.

I wouldn't travel anywhere in the Rockies during winter without a set of chains and a couple shovels in the truck. Tow chains and battery cables too. Chains can be a lifesaver, able to get you out of some serious and dangerous situations. They're essential tools that I carry from October through March.

My elk hunting camp is parked a quarter mile off a forest service road and sometimes the snow piles up deep during second season. If I know a storm is coming in I'll put chains on in advance. Better to take 20 minutes up front on dry ground than when 2 ft. of fresh snow makes a miserable chore of it. With heavy duty chains, my Tundra pulls like a tracked dozer in two feet of snow.

Btw, I have chains for the trailer too, for use down a steep and icy FS road, but have only once put them on (even though I probably should have a couple other times). Prevents sliding and jackknifing.

I have Chains for my Trailer too, where I hunt in MT. ice is usually my biggest problem coming back down.

Kevin
IMG_0181.jpg

Thought I'd bring this to the top since it was asked about again.

Check vehicle owners manual to see what manufacturer recommends. Some do not recommend on front wheels,like my 98'Tacoma. Clearance issues.
I have them for rear as it is so light at times ,but rarely need them in NM now. I also put larger tires on Tacoma and need to refit the chains.
Need them for the F-150 offroad too.

I always have chains for all 4 in my pickup. They sit in an old milk crate in back year round. Having experienced on of those "pucker" factors many years ago... Driving on a fs road, steep drop off to the drivers side, hit ice, and down the road backwards I went, around corners watching trees nearly take off the mirror. Finally got out of the ruts where the ice was and got stopped. Chained up all 4 and didn't have an issue.

When I chain up, I dont mess around with one axle either. It only takes me by myself an extra couple minutes to do all 4 and I have the peace of mind in doing so.

As it has been mentioned in other posts, some newer pickups do not have the clearance for chains on the front axle. This will be a factor in which pickup I upgrade to next year.

I always have chains for all 4 in my pickup. They sit in an old milk crate in back year round. Having experienced on of those "pucker" factors many years ago... Driving on a fs road, steep drop off to the drivers side, hit ice, and down the road backwards I went, around corners watching trees nearly take off the mirror. Finally got out of the ruts where the ice was and got stopped. Chained up all 4 and didn't have an issue.

When I chain up, I dont mess around with one axle either. It only takes me by myself an extra couple minutes to do all 4 and I have the peace of mind in doing so.

As it has been mentioned in other posts, some newer pickups do not have the clearance for chains on the front axle. This will be a factor in which pickup I upgrade to next year.

I have chain for all 4, but rarely put all 4 on unless it is really bad. the Chevy Silverado 1500 has plenty of clearance of all 4, I am getting a 2016 as soon as I get back from MT in a couple of weeks, I looked it over good for that too, no issues.

Kevin

The owners manual on my 2012 Chevy says no tire chains on the front. After experiencing pretty much exactly the scenario described by tjones last year where I was "that guy" except I was off the road in the ditch already and then getting back out I was lucky to not lose my truck over the side of the road with about a 50' drop off. I swore I wouldn't go back without chains. I've got a pair of the cable type very close clearance ones for the front and a set of regular chains for the back. Probably not the perfect setup, but I don't expect to be traveling very fast with them on. I also will have some chains, a tree saver strap and a come along.

The owners manual on my 2012 Chevy says no tire chains on the front. After experiencing pretty much exactly the scenario described by tjones last year where I was "that guy" except I was off the road in the ditch already and then getting back out I was lucky to not lose my truck over the side of the road with about a 50' drop off. I swore I wouldn't go back without chains. I've got a pair of the cable type very close clearance ones for the front and a set of regular chains for the back. Probably not the perfect setup, but I don't expect to be traveling very fast with them on. I also will have some chains, a tree saver strap and a come along.
I think we determined that that was the same hill where I almost had a serious accident because I couldn't stop going downhill.

Be also aware that places like the gravelies have some areas with very slippery gumbo. Just a little rain or snowmelt and if the top 1/2" gets wet it can be very hard to stop. You can slide right off a very steep and large bank even if you don't lock up the brakes.

I disagree with chains on the rear being bad - my Explorer can't have chains up front, but chains on the back have got me out of trouble many times. 100x better than nothing.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back