Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Youth rifle?

I'm in the 243 camp for a child, even though I'm a big 6.5 fan. Find something that fits your child, and let him shoot a lot. My son at 12, when he started weighed about 80 lbs. The 243 was something he didn't notice recoil much, so he got to practice, and letting him know he could shoot was the most important part for him.

I'd do a 243 also I think. Problem with 6.5, which I love, is lack of ammunition. If he reloaded I would say a 260 Rem hands down. I would toe had several 7x57's the 260 over the 6.5 Creedmoor only because you can make 260 case's from several different case's. I shoot a 25-06 and love it but the muzzle blast is right there. Never shot a 7mm-08 but everybody seem's to say it's great. I have had several 7x57's and though the recoil is not bad at all, I was in my prime when I shot them and I shot a lot. That reason alone I would rule out anything over 6.5 and everything with a 30-06 case. 308 case handles it well!

My old man bought me a model 7 243 (youth) gun when I started. My favorite gun though is a 25-06 browning x bolt. It isn't a youth gun and heavier. It kicks less than my 243 because of the weight and built in recoil pad. We fight over who gets to hunt with it.

That said my plan now is to buy the micro Midas x bolt in 7mm 08. It's a youth/ women's model and weighs less. This is going to be my "wife's gun" that I plan to use for my western adventures!

My wife just bought a X Bolt Micro Midas in 7mm-08 and I am really impressed with it, a really great little rifle. It comes in LH also, as well as .243. I would have no problem with the .243 if it's going to be a dedicated deer/lope gun. They also have a rebate program going on where you can buy a full size stock anytime within the first 5 years for 50% off. The rifle also comes with several shims to customize length of pull. I'm thinking of getting the full sized stock for myself to use as a lightweight rig for myself.

She has no problem at all with the Hornady custom lite 7mm-08 loads. She can handle the full power 140gr loads as well, but gets a bit sensitive after 4-5 rounds

Last edited:
After a lot of looking I got a Weatherby Vanguard 243 for my son and we like it a lot. It has a spacer that goes on the end of the stock to make it adult size, which we installed when he grew up. Now my wife and I use it more than him - it's a great deer/antelope rifle. I don't know if they come in lefties.

http://www.weatherby.com/vanguardr-synthetic-compact.html

I went with a 243 for my boys to use and paired it with a fixed 6X scope. It works well and everything is very simple. IMO, the three cartridges you suggested are so very similar that the types of bullets used in each can make more of a difference than the chambering.

Both my sons are right handed, but left eye dominant as well so shoot left handed. Depending on your budget, looking for a lefthanded rifle leaves you with just a few options. On the more affordable side, Savage 10 & Axis and Ruger American Rifles come in left handed. I went with the Ruger and it's got a lot to like. A compact stock can be bought from Ruger if he needs it. If you went with Savage I'd go with the 10 over the Axis. Many more aftermarket upgrade items. Up a tick in price is the Rem 700, Browning, and Tikka T3. In that range I favor the later. You might be able to find some Ruger MKII rifles used in 243, but it'll take some looking and patience.

PS- Lots of good suggestions above that don't pertain to someone needing a left handed rifle.

Sounds like the cartridge size selection basically boils down to price of the rifle and ammo. On Midway, Barnes bullets for .243 and 6.5 Creedmore are $35 and $36 per box. 7mm-08 is $42/box (308 is $44/box).

I bought a tc venture youth in 7mm08 for my boys when they were 10. We practiced with reduce recoil and hunted with rwgular rounds.both boys had no issues at all.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back