Youth Rifle Suggestions?

I got my daughter a Tikka T3 in .270 when she was 11. She has had it for 4 years now and she loves it and shoots it great!

Great range of bullets for it too; for anything from coyotes all the way up to elk!

My kiss cut their teeth with a .260. That is a great shooting caliber that won't scare them with recoil.

If you want to barrow Ruths .270 to see how she handles it, feel free to grab it someday

I'll always have an affinity for the 25-06 but am growing curiouser about the 7MM-08 and. 257 Roberts.

The Howa youth package looks like a pretty good deal, sending you an adult stock to upgrade when necessary. Curious about the scope that is mounted on it if a person was to get the full package, does anyone actually have this package with the rifle/scope? They make it a hard deal to pass up when it's only like 30 bucks more for the scope...hopefully the scope isn't worth only 30 bucks is what I want to know.

I'll always have an affinity for the 25-06 but am growing curiouser about the 7MM-08 and. 257 Roberts.

Funny, well kinda, my buddy stops in to Dicks and asks the girl behind the gun counter if they have any 25-06.
She pauses and says you mean 30-06?
He says no, 25-06.
She says never heard of that.
As he leaves he points out the ammo box near her that says 25-06....:W:

The Howa youth package looks like a pretty good deal, sending you an adult stock to upgrade when necessary. Curious about the scope that is mounted on it if a person was to get the full package, does anyone actually have this package with the rifle/scope? They make it a hard deal to pass up when it's only like 30 bucks more for the scope...hopefully the scope isn't worth only 30 bucks is what I want to know.
I'm going to try and swing by BP today and see if they have that package. I'll let you know what I see.

I'm going to try and swing by BP today and see if they have that package. I'll let you know what I see.

I saw a rifle/scope combo at Sportsmans Warehouse, but didn't see what the scope was, and it was $400ish. I wonder if you only get the extra stock too if you buy it online, or maybe you get a voucher to redeem it if you get it through a retail store?

The one that I had seen was at a small gun shop and the extra stock was right in the box with the gun.

Did you happen to get any insight on the scope? I stopped by Sportsmans and checked out the rifle again, it didn't have the scope, just the rings and rail for $329 for a 7mm-08. They had some decent priced Nikon's there that would probably be a lot better then the one that comes on the combo. My daughter threw it up and loved the feel of it, and the weight.

Both my daughters and son have used a 7mm-08 right out of hunters ed. No issues with recoil and they were not very big kids. They still enjoy shooting it just for fun. Seems to have plenty of punch, my son shot a bull at 200 yards when he was 13 with it as well. I just was not comfortable with them shooting at elk with a .243.

....this IMO.

Did you happen to get any insight on the scope? I stopped by Sportsmans and checked out the rifle again, it didn't have the scope, just the rings and rail for $329 for a 7mm-08. They had some decent priced Nikon's there that would probably be a lot better then the one that comes on the combo. My daughter threw it up and loved the feel of it, and the weight.

Went by BP yesterday, they didn't have any. Guys behind the counter are clueless. I'm gonna go by Sportsmans when I get a chance.

I bought my daughter a Savage/Stevens 7mm/08 and a 6X weaver and she has shot 4 deer and none have taken a step and none were hit in the spine. If I had to do it over I might have gotten her a 308 because I don't reload and sometimes the 7mm-08 gets sold out, the stores around here carry more 308 choices. Have fun and cherish your time outdoors with your kids.

the 25-06 is a good round low recoil,7mm-08 is not bad either,a friend of mine uses one and him and his wife like to shoot it.
but do not over look the 30-06 with a good limb saver,and lightend loads,then if in the future she need a bit more power,to hunt something say a little bigger,like maybe elk,then a 150 yard shot ona large annimal like the elk,would not be out of the question:p

brentster7189
i bought my wife a savage 110 package deal quite a few years back,and after 60 rounds of ammo was fired,at different times,i was not able to get the scope that was on the gun when i purchased it to stay true,after shooting it at a range,with a spotter,every time me and the spotter got it set at 150 yards with a lazer,three shots latter it would be about 2 or 3 inches high and off to the left,or off to the right,it was to say the least madning.
i purchased a new scope,4 shots latter,it stayed right wear she set with a boore sighter,so to make a long storie short,i had to buy a better scope.:hump:

Bringing this one back up, as I finally bought a rifle.

I've been looking and looking hoping to find a good used deal locally, then was in Big R and saw a good deal on a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08. Now I'm scope shopping..

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Although I'm not a fan (just my opinion) of the .243 for anything but close range shots on deer sized animals, I did start Travis at 8 years old with a Mossberg 100ATR in .243 for his first few years. When he got bigger, my dad gave him his Savage .7mm-08. I went with the Mossberg due to it's inexpensive price and the fact that all of their youth model guns come with a certificate providing a discount on the purchase of a full sized stock at a later date. His first shotgun was also a Mossberg NWTF edition youth .20 gauge. These days due to his size he is comfortable and accurate with the .7mm-08 and is using my Beretta .12 ga. for shotgun hunting deer with the hounds.

Bringing this one back up, as I finally bought a rifle.

I've been looking and looking hoping to find a good used deal locally, then was in Big R and saw a good deal on a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08. Now I'm scope shopping..

Thanks again for everyone's input.

So when are we going shooting? I get my rifle back from Weavers soon

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back