PEAX Equipment

You're givin' me a heart attack!

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Some might wonder why the Alaska moose story did not get finished this week. Well, had a little problem to deal with the last few days.

Laying in bed Wednesday night, I thought someone snuck in my house in the cover of darkness and stabbed me in the chest. I jumped out of bed, grabbed my chest and tried to hide the pain, given Mrs. Fin was on high alert to my theatrics.

I downplayed it, trying to write it off as indigestion from her homemade chicken noodle soup. I told her to go back to bed assuring her that if I took some reflux meds all would be fine. I stayed up until 2am, before the pain subsided enough that I could fall asleep.

I awoke at 6am, still feeling tightness in my chest. WTH? Guess I better take the dog for a run and work the stiffness out of my chest. About two hundred yards into that, things seized up pretty tight. It took all I had to walk the dog back to the kennel and into the house. I told Mrs. Fin I was now ready to go to the doc. I must not have looked too good, as she was in high gear without any further words from me.

Not as worried as her, I demanded we wait until the clinic opened at 8am. She was not happy, but I can be rather obstinate at times. She called at 8 am sharp. When you use the term "chest pain" you get moved to the front of the line. Off we went.

All test say I am having a heart attack. I protest. I have super low cholesterol, even lower blood pressure (usually 95-105/55-66), and very low testing pulse (usually 45-55). I have no family history of heart disease. The doctor's scale that morning put me at 6' 1.75" and 213 pounds, not svelt, but hardly obese. I have spent three weeks in the last five hiking my arse off, exerting myself way more than sleeping requires. No way I am having a heart attack.

Doc tells me she really doesn't care about my protests, the enzyme tests show I had a heart attack. She further shows that aspirin and nitro piils have reduced my pain and brought blood pressure down from this temporary spike. She offers to rerun the tests for a third time, if necessary.

She calls the cardiologist. He tells her what the tests say. He instructs a heart cath. He normally can so those, but a mountain bike wreck broke his hand and he cannot perform the procedure. I will be transported to Billings for the procedure. I want to drive, but lectured to shut up and get in the ambulance by the doc, nurses, EMT, and paramedics. I suspect Mrs. Fin lobbied for their support.

Off to Billings. The cardiologist requires the same tests as I had in Bozeman. Same result. WTH?

Last evening he comes in to tell me what he found and what he will perform the next morning. Some of you may have had a heart cath. He is perplexed how someone of my age and relative heart health has a cardiac event. He indicates there is a giod chance he wil go in and find no blockages. He explains how heart attacks in younger people are usually a fluke of some sort, but often very damaging. My EKGs show no sign of damage even with the other indicators. If there is blockage, he wil fix it while he is in there.

This morning, he did the heart cath. Very painless and only took twenty minutes of him augering around in there. I got to watch him and he showed me what he was seeing. Very cool.

End result - I am a picture of cardiac health. No blockages, hardly any plaque, strong pressure and full valve strength. No damage from this event.

He has a couple ideas of what may have caused this attack. Possibly a blood coagulation issue, thus a new test run of anti-coagulates for me. Or, as is often the case on people with great cardiac health, a small piece of plaque did flake of and temporarily blocked a small artery near the heart.

I her to leave Billings tomorrow. I an on limited exertion restrictions for a week, then once the plug in my femoral artery is inspected, back to the same old regimen. Have to defer the Wyoming antelope hunt by a day, leaving Tuesday, rather than Monday. Will need the guest hunter and camera guys to do heavy lifting, given I am restricted to ten pounds. I had to promise I won't walk any big hills until this femoral plug is inspected. Must shower and clean the area daily, so no wall tent on this hunt, rather wil be motels.

The doc watches our show, so he knows what it entails. He is more concerned about my femoral artery than my heart. Have me his card and told me to cal if I needed a guest hunter.

So, the show well go on, just with a little slower for the next few weeks. Enough excitement for the week, so looking forwards to getting home and readying for the next trip.

Moral of story - If you have acute chest pain, listen to your wife. Don't mess around like I did.

Fin ready to get his heart cath finished so he can go pronghorn hunting.

2012-09-27_18-37-37_592.jpg

Scary enough just reading about it... Glad to hear you are ok! Take care of yourself Randy.

Sounds crazy. Good to hear everything looks like it turned out okay though.

Maybe your pronghorn will be as cooperative as mine was and just stand around and wait for you to get out of the truck and shoot it. That doesn't make for great TV though probably.

Glad your wife wears the pants! They know better than we do.

I'd keep telling your crew you are on light duty through Dec. Sit back and relax while they do the heavy lifting!

Cheers to a healthy heart Fin. Happy to hear you are going to be ok.

Wow Fin! Had this happened a week ago.............:eek:., the little trip to Billings sure is easier than jet boats and tuboprop ERA planes to get to someone who can tell you that you are "the picture of cardiac health". Seems like rugged individualist western types are more likely to ignore their doctors recuperation orders. If you mess up, the femoral plug or the heart may not kill you, but Mrs Fin probably will!!

glad you're ok. that is some scary sh_t right there. take it easy at camp. afterall, "doctor's orders"

Dang Randy! So glad you are OK! Prayers for your recovery and ensuing adventures!

Glad to hear you are on the mend. We will be thinking of you at our duck camp. See you when we both get back town. Take care, my friend. Scary.

Is it the Finn or the Norwegian in you that makes you so stubborn? :rolleyes:

Hope you take it easy and get back out in the hills soon.

I learned a long time ago to listen to my better half, and she has kept me alive! I hope this is just a temporary set back, get well soon, Take it easy the next few weeks, there will be other hunts!

That is scary stuff...Good thing you were at home with Mrs. Finn and not in some tent alone. Glad to hear it's all ok and best of luck to you with the recovery!

As one of those Paramedics that made you take the ambulance, I am going to scold you one more time for waiting so long to seek help.

Chest pain is not something to mess around with. I just got off shift this morning and one of my first patients of the shift was an individual that had had chest pain for four days. They were talking by the time I got there, and weren't by the time we made it to the hospital, 13 minutes and 23 seconds later. Needless to say, their outcomes was not positive. Chest pain is not something to mess around with. Heed the PSAs, call an ambulance.

On that note, gad to hear you are all right and that the show will go on. Be careful out there and don't push it too hard.

(My shift did get better, saved two dogs from inside a house fire and made a great stop on the fire containing it to just the kitchen/living room/dining room)

Take it easy and get well soon. Nothing's more important than your health. No hauling of packs for a little while - that's what INTERNS are for. I think someone would be darned happy to tag along on your adventures for the experience.

Oh, and do yourself a favor - don't read the Bagel Head thread.

Last edited:
Take care and follow orders (from both). Be thankful it happened when you were at home.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back