wyoming type 9 area36

Barnesnbow

wondering if anybody has any experience hunting unit 36? A lot of the unit is in wilderness and I was wondering if most of the elk are going to be in the wilderness area during the archery season. I've been doing some research and would like to hunt the bighorns. I have 5 points so I am kind of in no mans land and would like to burn the points. Just trying to find a quality unit to burn my points on. Thanks

Less than 25 square miles of unit 36 is wilderness, so that is not a lot, but actually very little in the total unit. More than half is huntable NF or state land and the latter is mostly in one chunk of 6-8 square miles. There were only 3 Type 9 tags issued in the Regular PP Draw and the same in the higher priced Special Draw in 2017, but the unit is a general rifle tag that allows archery hunting if a person buys an archery permit to hunt the last half of September, while the Type 9 tag is good for the entire month. The Regular Draw is well within reach with your point total unless more apply for 2018 than did in 2017. I'd say to go ahead and apply for that tag if you want to hunt the September archery elk season and even if you don't get into a lot of elk I can guarantee that the awesome country you'll be in will be well worth it.

Last edited:
36 is a good choice for your situation, and top gun is good on his advice. Don't worry about the elk in 36 being stuck in the wilderness. There are plenty of elk outside of the wilderness and it only takes a skiff of snow and they will be on the move.

Could you guys explain to me why the type 9 tag is so hard to draw in most of the bighorn units and then there is like 2 or 3 that are fairly easy to draw. Just wondering what makes the difference between them.?

Could you guys explain to me why the type 9 tag is so hard to draw in most of the bighorn units and then there is like 2 or 3 that are fairly easy to draw. Just wondering what makes the difference between them.?

Because with units 38 39 40 and maybe a couple others you can't bowhunt the unit unless you have a type 9 license. Unit 35 and 45 you can bowhunt the last half of Sept with a type 1 but the whole month with a type 9. units 36-37 are general units but to bowhunt the 1st half of Sept you must draw a type 9. Trophy quality varies greatly between the draw and general tags I'm sure.

Back